What film camera are you using most often?

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by paul_neuthaler, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Since so many of the bretheren appear to continue (thank God) to use film, what cameras are you winding it through these days? For me, it's my M2 w/35mm 1:2.8 Summaron.
    00YyCt-374745584.jpg

2. SCL

SCL

My M4 followed by a Nikon F4, F5, Leicaflex SL2, Nikon F3 and Canon T90. A couple of weeks ago I sold off a Leica R8. I think I have a few too many children, but I just can't seem to get rid of them. All of them are loaded and ready to spring into action depending on the weather and my daily whim.

3. Nice photo, Paul. For me, it is my IIIf with 35mm f2.5 VC or 12mmf5.6 VC, my RF Mamiya 6 and 50mm or 150mm lens, each with b+w film (FP4, PanF or Tri-X). I have an M4-P and a Fuji GSW690III that have not been getting as much use lately, but that may change this summer, especially for the Fuji and its larger format, as I develop my negs and print my own photos from it. My digital gets used for most family, friends and other color photographs, as I don't have a good enough scanner to shoot color and transform the transparencies to digital format (and the good local E-6 processors are mostly gone, meaning that the exposed films must be sent elsewhere for treatment).

4. Zeiss Ikon (ZM). Then my M Leicas.

5. Leica IIIf + Elmar 50/3.5, M6 + Summicron 50/2, CL + Summicron 40/2, Nikon F3, F4, F2, FM2, Rolleiflex, Hasselblad 500C.

6. Leica M7 and Hasselblad 500C/M.

7. (2) M6 TTL, and SWC/M.

8. M3, followed by Nikon FE, Yashica FX3/Planar, Nikon F, and a IIIa. And seriously considering getting a Leicaflex SL :-
    )

9. Having sold the M6, my film camera is the FM2n.
    Henry Posner

10. At the moment it's a three-way tie between a Leica M3, a Nikon F3HP, and a Pentax 645N.

11. Minolta Himatic 7s followed by the Mamiya M645.

12. Canon 7, Canon T90, Olympus OM-1n, Mamiya Super 23

13. Have only one now, an M3, which I use far less than I should. Expecting an R2A in some while, which might just mean a second unused camera sitting around.

14. M4, 50mm 2.8 Elmar for negative film; M2, Visoflex III, Bellows II, 65mm Elmar and Velvia 100 for wildflower photography.

15. Mostly my M3, but also using my F2 and F3HP Nikons, and occasionally my Hasselblad.

16. Leica iiif w/5cm summicron collapsible. Really the only film camera I am using these days.
    Up until a few months ago I was also using a Leica M6TTL, but then it broke and got sent off for repair, and I just haven't picked it up since I got it back.
    Still have quite a few film cameras, F4s, FM2n, Hasselblad 500C/M, F-1n, and a TX, but they're all more or less in storage these days.
    Best,
    -Tim

17. Leica M3 SS with DR Summicron with eyes (body 1959, lens 1966) AND Leica M-1(ca. 1959) with 35 f2 black Canon (last version) and 15mm f4.5 Black Heliar using thread to bayonet adapter ( M-1 using Hyperfocal settings and because of 35 frame lines and parallax compensation).

18. M4-P, followed by a CLE

19. ...M3 with summicron DR or M3 version summicron 35...

20. Will probably die with my TLR Rolleiflex in my hands. For some strange reason, I truly feel like a photographer when I'm shooting with it. Years ago, bought a ton of Verichrome Pan and Fuji Provia, hopefully enough to last....Film is my wife. What a wonderful marriage......
    00YyLs-374923584.jpg

21. For me it is my Nikon F 100 with slide film and Nikon N 90s for negative film

22. Paul, that is a great father-son photograph! My current film camera favorites are: Leica M7, Canon 1V, and Contax G2. I usually use color negative film, but still take some color slide pictures as well. I will miss Fujifilm Astia 100F.

23. Rollei 3003 and/or 3001 with multiple Zeiss lenses, ie, sensational 60mm f2.8 Macro, 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4; Leicaflex SL-2/ 60mm f2.8 Macro; Rollei 6003 Professional MF; and Leica M6 with 35 and 50 Summicrons.

24. Hasselblad Superwide, and a old Canon F1 body the 85mmf1.8 is my favorite lens on that body.

25. I love mechanical cameras but an F100 is usually my first grab.

26. Minolta X-370

27. mtk

mtk

F3, FE, and F100. Just got a 1968 F with a 105/2.5 for 50 bucks at a garage sale!

28. M6 Classic and Rolleiflex 3.5F.

29. Yashica 635, Nikomat EL and Bessa 6x9

30. Olympus OM-10 and H-blad 500c for the past few months...

31. What, no love for the Olympus OM1, 2, and 4?

32. Leica R5, Minox 35ML, Rollei 35S

33. Canonet G-III. Not the best lens around but great tool for everyday use.

34. Canonet GIII, Kodak New Portra 400.
    00YyPL-375013584.jpg

35. Lately, my Pentax 67 with Kodak Portra 400. I've also been putting my Mamiya C330 to use with some TMY-400. The F100 and FM2N do come out from time to time, but I greatly prefer medium format.

36. Nikon F6 and Mamiya RZ67II. After that, Contax G2.
    Christoph

37. As allways, the Minolta X700

38. Am really surprised, there has not been a single mention of a Nikon F6......Until now!

39. Leica M2, 5 and 6, Hexar AF and OM2n.

40. My old standby has always been the Nikon F3 with MD4 motor. Lately, I've also been shooting a fair amount with my M7 - a new acquisition, so I'm still "lens deficient" for it.
    Correcting M lens deficiency is highly expensive!
    A few older cameras have come back from repair, so they are getting their test rolls done:
    Aires III and IIIL from Clarance Gass,
    Rolleiflex 3.5F from Harry Fleenor,
    Zeiss Super Ikonta BX, C, and Contessa by Henry Scherer.
    I'm still waiting for Don Goldberg to return some LTM items (IIIG, IIF and LTM lenses) as well as Gus Lazzari, who is overhauling a couple of 35mm Leica lenses for me. Those are the 35 3.5 Summaron, and an 8-element Summicron.
    For testing purposes, I have a bunch of 120 format Fuji Pro 800 lying around. When I get serious, I use Ektar 100 in 35mm and 120. Also, I have Provia 100 and 400 in 35mm and 120. For 120 negative film I prefer Wal-mart developing, as it works out to less than $2 (Yes, TWO DOLLARS) a roll with 3 inch prints.

41. At present I am using mostly my Mamiya Press Flat Top (rangefinder removed) with the 65 lens and either a Grafmatic with Arista 100 or Horseman roll back with T-max 400 film.

42. Lovely shot of you and your son Paul - using the IIIf with a nickel 1932 Elmar 50/3.5 and the new Portra 400 - will try to insert example below:
    00YyQz-375021584.JPG

43. Nice family shot Paul. Looks like you have another good photographer in your family. Recently used my Leica IIIg w/ Canon 50 1.4 with Tri-X for daughter's wedding. Then Leicaflex version 1 with 35 Summaron f 2.8 for Pennsylvania's Marsellus gas drilling activities.

44. For rangefinder: Konica Auto S
    For SLR: Minolta SRT 101

45. Interesting mixture of Ms.
    00YyS0-375039584.jpg

46. Olympus OM-1,-2, . . . Nikon F, FE-2, FM3a, FA, F3, Nikon EL2, Nikkormat, etc. But lately, I mostly loading B&W to the "F" and challenge myself, working without light-meter. I love my Nikon F (plain prism), and I like mechanical cameras. For me, the Olympus OM-1 & -2 are a wonder, precious Swiss watch.

47. Leica M6TTL, Rolleiflex T, Hasselblad 500C/M, Nikon F4, Nikon F2, Leica IIIF in the order.

48. Hi, I'm a freshman on photo.net. I'm using an M6 and 35/2.5 Voigtlander II lens...
    [​IMG]

49. Good morning All.........Mine are as follow, Nikon F100,Fujica ST605,Zorky 4K. Love them all!!!!

50. MP plus sometimes an elderly plastic Mini - and I miss my dead Pentax K1000 ...

51. Lately a Contax G2, Leica M7, Mamaya 7 and Hassy 503CW

52. And who says 'film is dead' !!!

53. My Voigtlander Prominent with the Skoparon 35mm f3.5, closely followed by my Vitomatic 11 CS with a Color Skopar 50mm f2.8

54. M2 - 35mm, M3 - 50/90mm, M4-P - 35/50mm

55. Nikon F5, Nikon F3HP, Ansco Viking, Calumet CC-401, Speed Graphic.
    The 35mm are used weekly. The Ansco ,the Calumet and the Speed Graphic are used once or twice a month. Sorry, No Leicas in the collection yet, but I am hopeful

56. Nikon F5. Next is my Minolta X700.

57. Olympus 35 RC, my favorite of the many compact fixed lens rangefinders I've tried.

58. Paul, that photo appears to mark a great day! IIIf with 50mm f2.8 Elmar and brightline. Sometimes go to a 90mm f4 Elmar w/brightline. Often use a II with 35mm f3.5 Elmar and Weisu for runabout.

59. Hey Paul, we have something more than film cameras in common! I have a 19-year old at UChicago, just finished freshman year. And, a bit of ancient history to go along with ancient cameras, I myself was born on UChicago campus!
    My favorite film camera has got to be my Rolleicord Va. For several trips I packed my Bronica and accessories, then at the last minute, gave up on the weight and repacked the Rolleicord. I keep lusting after a Rolleiflex, then telling myself I have more than I can use already :) Don't know how long that will last, very tempting!

60. I've recently acquired some Nikon bodies for my black and white documentary look (Nikon F90x, Nikon F801s and Nikon FM2 backup). However, the main camera I've been shooting a lot with throughout this whole transition period has been my Bronica ETRS 645 medium format camera.
    The Bronica is a heavy beast, but wow... when I get a photo dead on, it really rocks.

61. A Nikon EL2, Fuji GS645, and an 8x10 Deardorff account for my film use this year. When I can walk normally again they will get more use.

62. Hi,
    Nikon F.
    I bought 3, all cheap and each with a non functioning Ftn Photomic head. I switch them about as and when and think I got 3 of the best cameras ever built. Bodies and lenses are 50 years old at least and they will still take wonderful pictures in another 50 years.
    A Hundred year old digital camera? I think not.
    Andy.

63. Pentax 67 with 4 prime lenses w/tripod for landscape work. I like shooting with the P67, and I greatly value the results. Nikon F4 for landscape, macro, and general photography, usually shooting slides. Nikon N8008s and 3 prime lenses for street -- shooting hand-held with fast B&W film. Nikon FM is the back-packing & star trail camera of choice.

64. My most used camera at present is the Zeiss Ikonta 120 folder.

65. Nikon F3 (one old, one brand new just bought in HK), FM10 as a backup. A few AIS prime lenses (50, 35, 135).

66. Yashica Fx-3 Super 2000. Lenses: Yashica ML 50/1.4; 28/2.8. Contax 135/2.8. Kodak Elite Extra Color slide film.

67. The last few weeks, a Kodak Ektra (w/50/3.5, 50/1.9, & 35/3.3).

68. Not meaning to shift the stream of consciousness, but, shooting transparencies is the dope with film cameras. Not that
    I am averse to negatives, but...

69. I regularly shoot a lot with my 45 Tachihara, Super Graphic, and 5x7 Korona. but just for fun I did some photojournalism and an event where I always shoot digital---but I took my trusty F5 loaded with trix, and a hot shoe mounted big old strobe--I was shooting outdoors---Shot 7 rolls, Got lots of good shots and brought back memories of good old pj days.

70. Leica MP, followed by Leica M2 and Nikon F6.

71. Always in love with my Hasselblad 500 CM en Rolleiflex 3.5 F. Recently discovered the Fuji GSW 670 III and so impressed by the 6x7 negatives that I bought a Fuji 690 II ( same camera but more attractive design IMO in comparison to the II series). Scanning the KODAK 160 NC negatives in a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000.
    Dutch HEMA stores take care of development for €2,60. My Canon 5D II gathering dust while I enjoy shooting like in the old days. See the A3+ (13x19 in)!

72. Variously, Mamiya TLRs (C3, C220, C330) and Nikon FM/FM2, FE/FE2s. I have a Mamiya RB67 but that doesn't get used as much as it used to.

73. Mostly my M3. It is part of me.It becomes a one lens camera once out due to a light leak.No change lenses.Then its a M-6. Love the built in meter, hate the miserable viewfinder. Then its a lot of different SLR's. Chinon, Nikon F3(they are almost same except lens mount!). Folks have given me their unwanted kids..Canon AE-1P, Fuji. etc.
    A roll every year or so, thru my Rollei. Last 220 film(gift) took 2 years to expose. Seeing the results kinda messes me up with my small film consumption but very large digital shooting! The Rollei has almost all keepers for large prints! Rats!. How come nobody mentions all the extra drives one needs for digital?
    Today another major shoot. The M3 is ready.The 50mm Summicron collapsible. 135mm Tele-Elmar/Hektor..

74. Forgot to mention my beloved Rolleicord Vb!
    00YypN-375411584.jpg

75. Minolta CLE followed by a rotation of other film cameras.
    Here's the newest acquisition.
    [​IMG]

76. A variety of Olympus Pen viewfinder type half frame cameras. Or a Pen F with 3 lens kit if I want an SLR. Sometimes I just slip the little Nettar in a cargo pocket, 6X6 in the palm of your hand. For full frame 35mm I have an OM-1 and my choice of the slower primes from 24 to 200mm and a M4-2 with Voightlander 21 F4, 35 f2.5 PII and a old but clean 90 Elmar. I've had the Leica for a little over a year but despite its marvelous rangefinder I find myself scale focusing the 35 and 21 more often than not. With the 90 of course the RF is necessary to provide accurate focus.
    Stop asking questions like this Paul. It made me realize I have too many cameras, a backlog of undeveloped B&W film, and far too little talent for all this gear. :)

77. Nikon F6 and Contax 645 (has anybody mentioned this awesome machine?). Nikon N80 as backup. Also I have a plan to purchase Leica R9 or R8.

78. Either my Mamiya C220 of one of myCanon EOS Rebel T2's. It's the lenses that matter, not the body. :<)

79. It's a toss up between my canon F1 and my Olympus Om1

80. Leicaflex, 8x10 Deardorff, 5x7 Tachihara

81. OM-2n. I've pretty much stopped using my EOS 1n entirely.

82. Mamiya RB67 Pro SD

83. EOS 1N with 85/1.8 EF (God, how I love that combo!); Nikon F3 with 50/1.4 AIS (God, how I love that combo as well!).

84. I have plenty of film cameras, but the ones that get used the most right now are a Leica IIIf RD and a Rollei 35S. Both are small and good.

85. Nikon F100, hands down. I love that camera.

86. I use my Nikon FM3A and my FM-10.

87. Yesterday I used my Leica M3 and my Mamiya C220. Today, probably my Leica MP and old Canon F-1.
    Jim B.

88. Nikon F4 with 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, Velvia 50, Provia 100; Hasselblad 503 cxi with 80mm, Ilford 125 b/w, Kodak 160VC.

89. What a great "roll" call! A Nikon FM (up until I sold it to a young Indian photographer in April, whilst travelling) and some Canon F-1's. Also a Leica M6 w/ Jupiter 12 for B&W. Will be loading a Nikon F3 with Fuji 1600 Natura tomorrow to photograph a Chinese opera in the village where I live.

90. Canon F-1, Minolta X-700, Canon FTbN

91. Nikon F2A and F5. Some times a Nikon FE, but that has to be a very special case, where the F5 is too large and heavy for the job. Not that I am a pro or anything, please take "job" in a very loose interpretation.

92. Nikon F100 and Bronica S2A, both mostly with black and white film.

93. Leica M6 with 50mm Sumi

94. M7, M6 TTL and, sometimes, my father's M3. I also have a F90, but I haven't used it. The most used lens is the 50 (summicron and summarit - old 1.5). And I hope that they continue to be in use for a long time!

95. These days I mostly use my Minolta Dynax 7 but I keep reverting to my trusty OM-4Ti and an old Topcon Unirex.
    For larger format I use an ETRSi.

96. Just used a roll of XP2. Shot the first half in my Canon P, rewound, exposed the second half in a Canon F-1N with a 100/2.

97. What are all these slrs doing in the RF forum? TLRs are OK :)
    <P>
    <P>
    <P>RF: (a few) Leica, Mamiya 6, Fuji GL690
    <P>TLR: (a few) Rolleiflexes.
    <P>I won't mention the slrs...nope...not gonna do it.
    <P>
    <P>
    <P>@ Paul
    <P>Congrats for getting a son into U of Chicago and successfully paying for it !

98. Hiya!
    I treasure my Nikon FM3A and my numerous Ai/AiS primes (20,24,28,35,45,50,85 & 105mms) .... I also enjoy using my Olympus OM-1n with 24, 50, 135mms, and a few telephoto zooms that i picked-up for decent prices off E-bay the past few months .... I love the manual mechanical nirvana! Long live film!
    Best wishes from Scotland,
    Donaldo

99. Pentax 67 with 55-100mm zoom. Arca-Swiss 4x5. How non-rangefinder is that? Haven't shot the CL much since I got the Olympus
    EPL1.

100. I think I'll be the 100th respondent, Leica M6.

101. Hey guys, I will alway's take my twins with me wherever I go ! They are my beauties Olympus OM-4 & OM4T, accompanied with their truckload of toys, OEM Oly lenses. We can cover just about anything we need too.

102. So many wonderful cameras mentioned...
    After a service, a unique & fun camera that I'm quite fond of for several reasons:
    • It's got a dynamite 35mm f/2.8 lens ! (My favorite focal length)
    • "Load film" (Spoken with an accent)
    • "Too dahk, use frash!" (Spoken with a heavy accent)
    • "Check distance" (Spoken with an accent)
    • Put the little on-off switch in the middle, & it speaks Japanese! (It's actully the voice of the daughter of then Minolta CEO)
    • What a conversation piece !
    00YzYe-376381584.JPG

103. It's my Leica Ms, mostly M6, but occasionally, M4, M5 and M7, using most often, Zeiss ZM Biogon lenses.

104. Hasselblad 501CM with 60mm, 100mm and 180mm Zeiss lenses. Usually shoot black and white. If we are talking 35mm then my Leica R8 and 35-70mm zoom!

105. Voigtlander Perkeo II

106. Ha!Thanks for showing the Minolta Talker, Gus. I'm going to have to dig mine out now and run a roll through her. A most excellent lens on that one.

107. 5 days and you got 11 pages of responses for this thread? Did anyone ask why?
    Don't flame me. I've got 10 film cameras and I can't find a reason to use them over the last 3 years.

108. Do I win an M9 for my "most-responded-to thread?"
    00Yzia-376539584.jpg

109. "Film" camera? God forbid ...
    00YzoE-376635584.jpg

110. M6, M3, Xpan, 501CM in that order..

111. Love My Leica M2 with a 50 summilux pre-asph type I (the very first summilux), ready to go with a Trix400, also love the Rollei Retro 100 (agfa APX 100). really vintage stuff, Got love the looks!

112. The ones that I use the most are probably Olympus XA, Olympus Trip 35, Canon AE1, Minolta SRT101b and the handy Minox 35 EL, but switching cameras is a lot of fun.

113. Leica MP followed by M2 and then Nikon F6. All great cameras!

114. Most used in order:
    Leica MP
    Hasselblad 503CW
    Fuji GSW690111
    Fuji GX617

115. Yashica GTN with Neopan 400 - finally got this guys rangefinder calibrated, and it is hard to believe how the relatively primitive technology of this camera translates into inexplicably excellent photographs..

116. A Leica MP with a 35 mm Summicron mostly, with a Canon EOS IV and the 24-105mm f/4L used on occasion.

117. 50% Hasselblad 500C & ELM and several others for the rest, including Leica M3, Minolta X-300, Nikon F100 and Linhof Technika III 4x5.

118. Nikon F with the least expensive manual focus Nikkors: 28/3.5, 50/2 and 135/3.5. Picked up the lenses on that auction site for a grand total of $66! I have always had the higher end Nikkors and wanted to try these low cost lenses. BTW the results are great. Having a lot of fun using these lenses.

119. I go back and forth between M3 and MP, and often a IIIf
    00Z123-378055584.jpg

120. 1928 Kodak 2D (5x7) -- 6" Dagor, 10" Caltar, 15" Tele-Raptar. Ilford FP5 in ABC Pyro.
    All my 35mm goodies -- Leicas (M3, M6, II, IIIf, IIIg), Pentaxe (LXs, ME Super), Zeiss Contax IIa, etc, etc, etc ($$$) -- are still the greatest for fondling, but otherwise are no longer are in active service. Maybe -- if they still made Kodachrome II...?