What exactly does mold find so interesting inside my lenses?

To mitigate the 7 major lens aberration, opticians construct the camera lens using a array of lenses. Each element will have a different power, some strong some weak, some positive, some negative. Additionally, some are made using a very hard dense glass, others less dense. Some elements are air-spaced apart, some in direct contact with its neighbor. Lens elements in direct contact are routinely cemented together. The cement must have special optical properties. For decades, a resin made from the sap of the Canadian Balsa Pine was used. This is clear strong resin is organic and thus food for beasties (mold & mildew). Nowadays, optical cements are manmade resins. Besties find these artificial resins lest tasty but sometimes the besties are tempted to dine.

Often its crazing due to separation - can look like mold etc.

Edited by alan_marcus|2
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've noticed that some of my Mamiya TLR lenses are very susceptible to fungus. It's always on the inside surface of one lens, but not the other. The bugs obviously have a very discerning palette when it comes to optical glass types.

Discriminating fungi & molds ONLY dine in the finest of lenses? (why settle for less, right?)