What effect would a scratch at the rear element of the lens have?

c_d5

Thanks Matt. I am going to try it out before deciding to do anything. Bought a bunch of 800 ASA 12 exposure film for 58 cents lately just for the purpose of trying out lenses. Anyway, the scratch is in the middle.<div>00AEEk-20607984.jpg.47d730db9460e6c5856e7147eb4ec6ba.jpg</div>

I was going to say if was near the edge, no problem. I think a scratch in the center is the worst place. However (and a big however), try it with a roll and in different lighting situations and at different distances. That will really tell you. You might that it has very little effect on the photos.

I agree that it degrades the resale value and probably by quite a bit.

some of the older Zeiss lenses use to have bubbles in them. Made no difference to the image. I'm sure your scatch won't effect anything. But if it bothers you maybe you can get it polished out and the rear element recoated. Didn't the fee-bay sell disclose this scratch? Did you ask first?

Unless you knew there was a scratch when you bought the lens I'd suggest returning it. The seller shouldn't be allowed to get away with misrepresenting an item. Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 SLR lenses are very common...you won't have any trouble finding another one. (Your question really belongs in the Nikon forum, BTW.) Optically it's hard to say what effect the scratch will have. Probably little or no effect.

-Dave-

I once had a Rollei 35S which had a teeny chip out of the rear element near the center, not a linear scratch. It looked just like a mini-version of a small chip on an auto windshield (windscreen). My Kodachrome 64 slides even when projected showed no noticeable effects.

You won't notice it except on a very careful lens test.

It will reduce contrast slightly due to scattering. The black paint or black felt marker idea is a good one. They do that on large telescopes to keep a small defect from degrading image quality.

Bill, Dave, yeah..it is a Nikon mount lens. Part of the reason I put it up here is because of the expertise of the forumers here. Moderators, please feel free to delete this thread at your discretion. I am not sure yet as what to do, I will try it out.

CD, I was in such a situation a few months ago. There was a ding smaller than a quarter grain of sand on the rear element of a Nikon SLR lens. The seller paypal'd me over $100, more than 20% of the lens cost, more than I had asked him as fair compensation (or else I would have returned the lens). I decided to keep the lens, and the pictures are perfect.

I hope you are protected. If you like the lens you can negotiate a settlement, otherwise return it immediately. Before doing that, call your credit card company, they offer protection for such situations at no charge to you.