What does "minty" mean

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by harry_soletsky|1, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Awhile back I posted this question before and got answers that no
    one knew what it meant. Well the word has crept back. I have no idea
    whether this means less or more than mint. Certainly it's rediculous
    to invent a new catagory when we already have mint and mint- which
    are a problem catagory in themselves. When this whole nuttiness
    started years ago the Shutterbug Ads catagories seemed to be, and to
    me, still are enough.

2. Minty means nothing to me. I've seen "minty" stuff on eBay that looked like crap.

Mint means flawless. Minty seems to mean anything. A BAD WORD! :^)

3. Here we go again.

English is a dynamic language and new words/meanings are invented all the time.

I use "minty". Basically the same as mint-, just below "mint" which eqauls New.

4. I think it means "cute and mint", or "nice and mint".

5. I think it means "fresh, not medicinny" according to Procter & Gamble.

On eBay it can mean "caveat emptor".

6. Heh. MINT means MINT. A knockoff of that word is POINTLESS.

It's like the word DEAD. Either one is dead or one isn't. You can't be a little dead, or sort of dead.

Grrrr...

7. In New Zealand, a "minty" is a mint flavoured toffee.......

8. I dont like the word either, but it seems to have become part of the language and I guess we will have to live with it. To me it implies that it looks pretty nice to the vendor who doesnt know (or care) how to classify it. If it is really a klunker then its purveyor is a liar, but a liar could also just as easily call it mint. Just another case of buyer beware.

9. Main Entry: 1mint
    Pronunciation: 'mint
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English minte, from Old English, from Latin mentha, menta; akin to Greek minthE mint
    Date: before 12th century
    1 : any of a family (Labiatae, the mint family) of aromatic plants with a square stem and a 4-lobed ovary which produces four one-seeded nutlets in fruit; especially : any of a genus (Mentha) of mints that have white, purple, or pink verticillate flowers with a nearly regular corolla and four equal stamens and that include some used in flavoring and cookery
    2 : a confection flavored with mint
    - minty /'min-tE/ adjective

10. Hehe...just kidding. To me, minty means mintish, which means almost mint, but no cigar. Now when someone says "almost" that can mean a lot of things to a lot of persons. Mint however is an absolute- it means as new, as if it were fresh from the factory. I've seen "pristine" used as well- for items that were not my definition of pristine. Perchance they meant really clean via pristine? I don't know, but it's annoying.

11. In the ebay sense of the word, "minty" means I'm lying about the condition of this
    item in order to attract some interest...jf

12. Steve

You're absolutely right! just as it would be nonsense to say "I'm a little bit pregnant"
    Regards

Bruno

13. Steve - funny that you should use "dead" as the analogue - I would have, too, a couple of years ago - "a little bit dead" is like "a little bit mint" or "a little bit pregnant," yeah? But then a good buddy started work as a full-time big-city EMT, and one of his late-night sorta-tipsy stories started off with, "well, there are two kinds of dead: one kind is where we show up and someone's heart is stopped and they're not breathing and they're gettin' cold. that's dead. then there's the kind where we show up and someone's head isn't attached to their body anymore. that's f@#$in' dead.

anyway, just thought i'd complicate things with that little tale.

but yeah, i've always seen minty as a big freakin' red flag in auctions. might be nothing to worry about (Patrick, above, says he uses it -- if he listed something as "minty," I'm sure it would be fine), or it might mean "mint except for social security number etched below flash plugs by someone with exceedingly shaky hands."

14. 'Minty' means 'this item would be mint if it didnt have all these scratches, dents and
    rust spots...'

15. I prefer either the 6-10 scale ratings or KEH BGN to LIKE NEW ratings because they are the most specific, yet of course there's no perfect system as people will always disagree.

16. m_.

m_.

It means "close to mint but below" to me.

17. On eBay it most likely means "looks close enough to mint...in low-res jpegs and favorable lighting."

18. Minty = Mint - = 9+ = LN

19. If I call something mint, someone, somewhere would find or make a pinhole it the chrome on the inside of the bottom plate and sue me for everything I could earn in three lifetimes. Minty should mean near perfect without all the hoops.

20. On reconsideration I think it isn't quite as questionable as "very unique".

21. If you suck on your Summicron, it tastes like mint.

PJW

22. A few other vague terms:

Virginal

Mint+++++

Mint++++

Triple Mint

LNIB. Is this above or below virginal, above or below Mint+++++

How about Mint++++++++++++++++? (How many +'s is the upper bound?)

23. If there was a fair and decent return policy, all these terms would be rendered meaningless.

24. minty is somewhere between bodacious and most-excellent.

25. "Minty" - That means onions, the anti-mint.

26. Buyer Beware!

27. That you think that you are getting a really nice camera and you will be disappointed when you receive it.

28. you guys are funny and/or parnoid. who would buy leica w/o an money-back-guarantee anyway?

29. Smells like a mint...to the seller should a sucker fall for it.

30. I think that for coin collectors, "mint" means "fresh from the (US) mint" and never circlated.

I think that for camera buyers, "mint" means something just under "new" or "new in sealed box." I take it to mean "Used, but like new." No wear whatsoever. Indistinguishable from new. That would make "mint" and "Like new" synonymous. So then "minty" has to be a step below that. That would make it equivalent to "mint minus" which I should think is the same as "Like new minus."

In other words, I don't think "mint" "mint minus" or "minty" give us a finer shade of meaning. I think it's all covered with "new" "like new" or "like new minus."

31. Goodness Gracious! All of you have really missed the true meaning of "minty." It reflects to the aroma and taste of gently-bruised freshly-picked mint that is an essential element of a Mint Julep. To refer to a writing by an Army General of an earlier age:

"When all is ready, assemble your guests on the porch or in the garden, where the aroma of the juleps will rise Heavenward and make the birds sing. Propose a worthy toast, raise the goblet to your lips, bury your nose in the mint, inhale a deep breath of its fragrance and sip the nectar of the gods.'

Now, that's what's really meant by"Minty!"

I rest my case

32. "Minty"...a stupid term coined by miniminds. A pox on those who use
    it.

33. I think that for coin collectors, "mint" means "fresh from the (US) mint" and never circlated.
    Unfortunately, it's not that simple. "Mint state" is indeed the same as "uncirculated" but there are 11 different grades of uncirculated/mint state, ranging from MS-60 to MS-70, depending on factors like tiny marks the coin might have received in the mint bag and the strength of the strike, the attractiveness of the way the silver has toned, etc. The standards are subjective, and different not only for different designs, but different years of the same design. And tiny differences, say between MS-64 and MS-65, can mean a factor of ten difference in the price of the coin. Basically, uncirculated coins are graded and valued like diamonds.

34. By the way, there are now grading services that employ experts that will certify a coin's exact condition, then encapsulate them in a plastic holder, sonically welded shut. Sounds like the ideal thing for whoever is buying all those special edition Leicas.

35. Does _anything_ on ebay _NOT MEAN_ "buyer beware"? No. Every single word you can
    get that site to send into your computer carries with it a big caveat emptor winking
    smiley face.

"Minty" is not the problem. The problem is that people selling on ebay don't always
    tell the truth. "Mint" is no different from "Minty" in this regard, or "excellent" or any
    other adjective for that matter--it all means just this: If it is important to you, ask
    some questions, get some assurances, ensure some credibility.

On the point of mint being an absolute, I agree. But it is not an absolute in the same
    sense as pregnant. Something can be close to mint (i.e. nowhere near crappy),
    whereas a person cannot be close to pregnant (i.e. nowhere near _not pregnant_).

And no, something can't be "very unique", but it can be "nearly unique"--same for
    mint.

I dislike the use of "mint" to describe anything that's ever been taken out of its box or
    had its mechanisms cycled, but that doesn't (and won't) stop people from using the
    word to describe items ranging in condition anywhere from vaguely usable to near-
    mint. In a hard-line linguistic sense, there is no such thing as more-than-mint
    (mint+, etc.). Except that it gets used by people who don't know this. And therefore it
    has a meaning.

Troublesome thing, language.

First time I saw "minty" on ebay I just thought it was a cleverism, like the "L@@K"--
    something designed to draw viewers' eyes. I figure it usually means the seller would
    like to say something like 'close to mint', but cleverer and briefer.

Looking at this thread, I'd say "minty" is good advertising to boot.

36. A little bit dead is when a person has a near death experience. A little bit pregnant is when a woman has an abortion. And mint should mean, in fact, BRAND NEW, UNTOUCHED and FLAWLESS. Anything less IS NOT MINT! Got it? "Minty" is a stupid-a__ expression. Sounds like someone is trying to pull a fast one.

37. Ilford 120 roll film stickers :)

38. Wow, what an absolutely "fun" thread to read. So much so that I find myself replying to it 4 years after it posted.

Someone wrote:

"I dislike the use of "mint" to describe anything that's ever been taken out of its box or had its mechanisms cycled, but that doesn't (and won't) stop people from using the word to describe items ranging in condition anywhere from vaguely usable to near- mint."

Even things sold brand new get "cycled" before they're sent out to the consumer. Testing always takes place. The Hasselblad Xpan camera would be purchased showing 40 or 50 captures had been taken before ever leaving the factory so then perhaps they should sell their brand new cameras as mint minus.

As someone said within this thread..the thing is to know your buyer before you buy. Many people throw around mint, minty, mint +++, mint ---, and everyone's scale may differ so quite simply you need to either buy from a buyer who has established himself very very well on eBay or you need to ask a LOT of pointed questions and get the seller to define his terms before you buy.

I kinda get tired of hearing people dog ebay because it's a wonderful place to buy if you're a responsible "buyer" who is buying from a responsible "seller."

But thanks for everyone who made this thread so much fun to read.