What does "minty" mean

Awhile back I posted this question before and got answers that no

one knew what it meant. Well the word has crept back. I have no idea

whether this means less or more than mint. Certainly it's rediculous

to invent a new catagory when we already have mint and mint- which

are a problem catagory in themselves. When this whole nuttiness

started years ago the Shutterbug Ads catagories seemed to be, and to

me, still are enough.

I dont like the word either, but it seems to have become part of the language and I guess we will have to live with it. To me it implies that it looks pretty nice to the vendor who doesnt know (or care) how to classify it. If it is really a klunker then its purveyor is a liar, but a liar could also just as easily call it mint. Just another case of buyer beware.

Main Entry: 1mint

Pronunciation: 'mint

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English minte, from Old English, from Latin mentha, menta; akin to Greek minthE mint

Date: before 12th century

1 : any of a family (Labiatae, the mint family) of aromatic plants with a square stem and a 4-lobed ovary which produces four one-seeded nutlets in fruit; especially : any of a genus (Mentha) of mints that have white, purple, or pink verticillate flowers with a nearly regular corolla and four equal stamens and that include some used in flavoring and cookery

2 : a confection flavored with mint

- minty /'min-tE/ adjective

Hehe...just kidding. To me, minty means mintish, which means almost mint, but no cigar. Now when someone says "almost" that can mean a lot of things to a lot of persons. Mint however is an absolute- it means as new, as if it were fresh from the factory. I've seen "pristine" used as well- for items that were not my definition of pristine. Perchance they meant really clean via pristine? I don't know, but it's annoying.

Steve - funny that you should use "dead" as the analogue - I would have, too, a couple of years ago - "a little bit dead" is like "a little bit mint" or "a little bit pregnant," yeah? But then a good buddy started work as a full-time big-city EMT, and one of his late-night sorta-tipsy stories started off with, "well, there are two kinds of dead: one kind is where we show up and someone's heart is stopped and they're not breathing and they're gettin' cold. that's dead. then there's the kind where we show up and someone's head isn't attached to their body anymore. that's f@#$in' dead.

anyway, just thought i'd complicate things with that little tale.

but yeah, i've always seen minty as a big freakin' red flag in auctions. might be nothing to worry about (Patrick, above, says he uses it -- if he listed something as "minty," I'm sure it would be fine), or it might mean "mint except for social security number etched below flash plugs by someone with exceedingly shaky hands."