What does it REALLY mean?

anner

How would you define and distinguish the following words for your clients?

1. Digital Negatives vs. High Resolution CD/DVD

2. Flush-Mount Album vs. Coffee Table Album

3. Proof Print vs. Final Print

4. Editing vs. Processing vs. Retouching

5. Copyright Release vs. Printing Permissions

6. Fine Art vs. Traditional

7. Wedding Photojournalism vs. Photojournalism

9. Assistant vs. Second Shooter

10. Hand Colored vs. Spot Colored

Reading the wedding caché post made me think about how so many words are misused in our industry

and how there's a real need to come to a standard defnition and distinction for the sake of our clients and

other photographers entering the industry.

Here's how I define them.. feel free to disagree ;-)

1. Digital Negatives are straight from the camera, as if they were burned directly from the

memory card onto CD/DVD in their original RAW or JPG captured format. For me, the High

Resolution CD/DVD means that the images are print-ready and have enough resolution to

create at least a 16x24" print.

2. I refer to a Flush-Mount allbum as an album in which the images are printed on an

actual photograph and that photograph encompasses an entire page. Typically, the

photograph is mounted to a hard plastic page which is stiff and does not bend. I refer to a

Coffee Table Album as one in which the images are printed directly onto a non-

photographic paper - with or without coating. The pages are often flexible, rippable, and

do not have a protective spray.

3. For me, a proof print is one that has undergone basic color and brightness corrections,

while a final print is one which is competition-ready. I don't watermark or put a copyright

on my proof prints, but I know some people do.

4. Editing- narrowing down the selection of images. Processing- color, brightness,

contrast balance. Retouching- eliminating blemishes, glasses glare, random objects, or

replacing closed eyes with open ones, spot-coloring, hand-tinting, or adding anything

that wasn't there to begin with (for me, retouching also means "photoshopping" an image).

5. Copyright Release to me means that you actually turn over any rights you have to the

image so that you are no longer in charge of what happens to that image- if the person

you give release to, says that you can't use that image on their site- you have given up

your right to that image. Printing Permissions for me is a Non-Commerical, Attribution,

Share-Alike Creative Commons License which gives clients the ability to reprint the image,

share the image, and display the image- as long as I'm given credit for the image and they

don't try to sell the image.

6. To me, Fine Art and Traditional are very similar. I have a hard time distinguishing these

when speaking in terms of wedding photography. They both use light very well- create

beautiful posed portraits, and set-up images of details. The only thing that might

separate Fine Art from Traditional for me is perhaps the use of interesting angles,

compositions, and techniques like selective DOF, dragging the shutter, and spinning or

zooming during an exposure.

7. The word Photojournalism seems to have been bastardized by wedding photographers.

True photojournalism to me means no interaction what-so-ever with the subjects of the

images. However, I think even a newspaper photojournalist knows that there is always

some amount of interaction, since you can never be truly invisible. For me, wedding

photojournalism is like photojournalism in that there is minimal interaction with the

subjects, but there is also an extra concentration on details and scene-setting images,

which embelish the story of the day. Both forms of photojournalism for me are focused on

telling a story of how things happened, not just that they happened.

9. In my mind, an assistant carrys bags, helps with catching posing glitches like stray hair

or unbuttoned tuxes, and is a basic go-to person, but isn't relied on for photographic

coverage. I think a second shooter is relieved of the assistant duties because I want them

to focus on opposing angles or capturing that which is secondary to the main subject.

10. Hand colored to me means adding color to an image where color wasn't present to

begin with - like adding blushing cheeks, or hand-tinting a B&W photograph to create an

overall colored image. Spot coloring to me means coloring only a selective part of the

image, or taking color away from all but one part of the image.

So... maybe we'll all have similar definitions... but maybe not!

1. Digital Negatives as shot out of the camera

High Resolution CD/DVD are ready for printing up to 16 x 20

3. Proof Print - color correctes original vs. Final Print - fully processed

4. Editing vs. Processing - no difference both apply to whole image and is required to make an image accurate

Both vs. Retouching detai - Retouching is fixing things wrong with the subject - bleaching a moustache, softening lines around the eyes - vanity optional.

5. Copyright Release - In your dreams vs. Printing Permissions - CVS may pring these images for the bride.

6. Fine Art vs. Traditional - nothing I would bring up - Client determines style they are looking for and call it what they like.

7. Wedding Photojournalism vs. Photojournalism - Nobody is shooting at wedding photojournalist.

9. Assistant vs. Second Shooter Asssitant poses, holds lights, runs the computer - Second shooter adds to the image pool.

10. Hand Colored vs. Spot Colored BW colored to suit vs Change of existing color not related to white balance adjustment.

Hello, Anne-who-has-the-most-beautiful-name-ever-and-is-the-smartest-in-the-world!

<br>;)

<p>

<b>1. Digital Negatives vs. High Resolution CD/DVD</b>

<br>No difference (to me).

<p>

<b>2. Flush-Mount Album vs. Coffee Table Album</b>

<br>A Flush-Mount is a thick-paged book in which the photographic paper has been

mounted onto the page. A Coffee Table Book is printed like any other coffee table book,

on thinner, pliant pages.

<p>

<b>3. Proof Print vs. Final Print</b>

<br>Typically, a proof print has not been touched. It is straight from the camera. It MAY

have undergone some batch lightening/sharpening, but is otherwise as-is. A Final Print is

as good as it gets. It has been fully retouched and adjusted for color and tonality.

<p>

<b>4. Editing vs. Processing vs. Retouching</b>

<br>Editing and Processing mean much the same to me, and include the entire process of

removing bad shots, and doing basic adjustements to the images. Retouching is removing

blemishes, etc. We also use the word "Toning" to refer to the color/curves/sharpening/

retouching combo.

<p>

<b>5. Copyright Release vs. Printing Permissions</b>

<br>These are one and the same. Copyright OWNERSHIP is different from a release.

Release/Printing Permissions are defined in the contract.

<p>

<b>6. Fine Art vs. Traditional</b>

<br>When I hear "Fine Art", I think about photographs that are taken for art's sake - not

for the client. You can't give a shot list to a Fine Art photographer! :) "Traditional" would

be a trained portrait photographer, IMO. I do'nt think you can really compare the two,

actually. They're two completely different things.

<p>

<b>7. Wedding Photojournalism vs. Photojournalism</b>

<br>Wedding PJ involves the client's input, because it is a commercial take on

documentation. PJ by itself is very non-commercial, and would mean there is absolutely

no involvement/manipulation by the photographer (even in post-production).

<p>

<b>9. Assistant vs. Second Shooter</b>

<br>An Assistant is whatever you want them to be. A bag-carrier, a light-setter-upper (I

know that's not a word), a second pair of hands, a smiling face to hand out your business

cards... whatever. They assist the photographer with whatever the photographer needs.

All of my friends in NY were commercial assistants. Some of them did cool stuff like

setting up lights and printing. Others did horrid stuff like cleaning the studio's bathroom

or holding and umbrella over the photographer for hours on end. A Second Shooter

shoots. They are next in line after the primary photographer, and have nearly equal

responsibility to make the client happy and to deliver a high-end product.

<p>

<b>10. Hand Colored vs. Spot Colored</b>

<br>No difference. Although hand-colored SHOULD specifically mean prints that are

colored by hand, NOT digital files that are colored in Photoshop.

<p>

<b>11. Caché</b>

<br>This is a word that means whatever your client wants it to mean. ;)

Interesting question Anne. I think as photographers, we all have asked ourselves this and

wrangled with figuring out an answer. I think everyone has a little different definition and

there's no absolute right/wrong as long as you give some explanation/example/context

when necessary.<p>

Here's my take...

<p>

<i>>>1. Digital Negatives vs. High Resolution CD/DVD<br></i>

When among photographers I talk about digital negatives as the RAW files or JPGs right out

of the camera. The analogy being negs/chromes from the lab. For clients, I usually don't

say the words "digital negatives" (unless they mention it first) because they never see

those. I say "high-resolution files/images", which for me are post-processed and resized

to a common print size (usually 4x6 or 8x12).

<p>

<i>>> 2. Flush-Mount Album vs. Coffee Table Album</i><br>

To me a Flush-Mount album is something like Leather Craftsmen or ZookBooks and a

Coffee Table "Book" is like an Asukabook. That's how I describe it anyway.

<p>

<i>>>3. Proof Print vs. Final Print</i><br>

I think I might do things differently than most with this, but I tend to run all the wedding

images that I deliver to clients through some processing. That may be simple curve and

color adjustments via batch processing with ACR/Lightroom or a few minutes in

Photoshop. There may be a bit of additional tweeks and blemish retouching when making

enlargements (and cropping of course), but generally what they see in the "proof" is what

they get in the enlargement. Helps avoid confusion. What they see is what they get. I

think my ego comes into play here a little. I just like presenting my work well. I think

especially with digital, that the post-processing is very much part of a photographer's

style/signature. With film you could pick different stock and have it processed differently

to set yourself apart, but correctly exposed digital images taken under the same light will

look the same from most cameras. And probably 95% of us are shooting with about 6

different camera models. Post processing has also become so much easier now and is

only getting better. I use "proofs" for portrait/headshot work, but for the cost and the

context of a wedding, it doesn't really mean too much for the way I do things.

<p>

<i>>> 4. Editing vs. Processing vs. Retouching</i><br>

Easy. Editing is sorting and removing the unusable exposures, blurry shots, blinkers, etc.

Processing is adjusting color, curves, monochrome conversion, etc.. Retouching is zit

removal and stuff. (I know a lot of people talk about "editing" as processing, but it's just

not the definition that I'm used to)

<p>

<i>>> 5. Copyright Release vs. Printing Permissions</i><br>

Easy again. Copyright is ownership of the image and how it's used. Only the copyright

owner (which is the photographer, unless they don't know better) can assign rights to

reproduce, publish, print, etc... Printing Permissions are one of those rights that the

copyright holder grants.<p>

<i>>> 6. Fine Art vs. Traditional</i><br>

I don't know. When I think of Fine Art, I think of Weston, Bernhard, Avedon, Karsh,

Kertesz. Traditional? Too broad of a term. <p>

<i>>>7. Wedding Photojournalism vs. Photojournalism</i><br>

"Photojournalism" to me is current events, newspapers and such. Wedding

Photojournalism is storytelling, usually unposed, non-set up shots, that can be "edited

down" and compiled into a album that recreates the story of the day. <p>

<i>>>9. Assistant vs. Second Shooter</i><br>

Assistant carries your bags, holds a reflector, etc. A second shooter takes pictures. I find

one person can do both because the need for both roles usually doesn't overlap during the

day for the way I work.<p>

<i>>>10. Hand Colored vs. Spot Colored</i><br>

Hand colored? You mean hand painted/tinted b&w prints? That's getting into "Fine Art"

again.<br>

Spot colored? Like selective desaturation where everything's b&w but the bouquet kind of

images. I hate those :-)

1. Digital Negatives vs. High Resolution CD/DVD</br>

Film scans; something that will play on your HDTV</br></br>

2. Flush-Mount Album vs. Coffee Table Album</br>

Folder of 4x6 to sit atop your cistern; furniture catalogue</br></br>

3. Proof Print vs. Final Print</br>

I DID take these photos; Whew! now I can get out of the darkroom</br></br>

4. Editing vs. Processing vs. Retouching</br>

You DON'T want pictures of your mother's new beau; what the ATL 1500 does; curse the dust on the negative carrier again!</br></br>

5. Copyright Release vs. Printing Permissions</br>

not understood at either Hello! or OK!</br></br>

6. Fine Art vs. Traditional</br>

The pics the bride doesn't want published in later life; the shot that made "The Tatler"</br></br>

7. Wedding Photojournalism vs. Photojournalism</br>

OK! magazine vs. Hello! magazine</br></br>

9. Assistant vs. Second Shooter</br>

Person who's job it is to obstruct all the other guest photographers; what OK! wished he had used at the Posh Spice/Beckham wedding</br></br>

10. Hand Colored vs. Spot Colored</br>

Painstaking watercolour; bad disco lighting</br>

I would rarely define to my [wedding] clients in technical terms or definitions. I would however painstakingly explain what they are going to receive and that intercourse is underpinned at each key point by how I would achieve it, to strengthen their correct assumption in their choice.

Technical should be reserved for very few clients who will ask for it specifically.

If a [wedding / portrait] client has come armed with technical jargon from Photographer Uncle Sid, who wants to do the Wedding anyway, or with clich頴erms from another `slick selling` [perhaps franchised] business, I would glance over the terms by explaining in simple but precise terms what the outcomes will be when we work together to make the wedding eternally memorable.

However answering your specific question, here goes:

> Reading the wedding cache post made me think about how so many words are misused in our industry and how there's a real need to come to a standard definition and distinction for the sake of our clients and other photographers entering the industry.<

Definitions already exist. The lack of formal training and the requirement to attain qualifications in a non legislated profession which will intrinsically promote slack terminology.

1. Digital Negatives vs. High Resolution CD/DVD

DN is the RAW [or equivalent] file WITH Data verification attached, suitable to be evidence in law. High Res CD/DVD is a CD or DVD containing High Resolution [image] Files, maybe many types e.g. JPEG TIFF etc, they may or may not be digitally manipulated.

2. Flush-Mount Album vs. Coffee Table Album

Are non technical, I lean towards the Toilet reading and Furniture Catalogue answer above.

3. Proof Print vs. Final Print

Proof print / sheet / reel / rush refer to film [both negative and positive], and is / are prints to technical standard exposure and white balance, the first shot of each roll or reel has a grey card and [usually] a standard colour grid.

Final Print is the finished product for the client.

Proof Prints have no place in the client`s viewing room, very few will understand them, but yes, Proof Print is a much misused term.

Proof in relation to Digital can only mean the Printed RAW or similar file to a `printing standard` - so I guess you just choose a standard?

4. Editing vs. Processing vs. Retouching

Editing means selecting the good from the less good. Also it means digital manipulation of the image with computer hardware and software.

Processing means the whole workflow process post shooting. It also refers to the Chemical Processing of film [negative and positive] and also of prints.

Retouching is almost a lost art, it refers to the pencil, brush and air brush techniques to remove scratches, blemishes, etc. these are the second to last `processes` of the `final print` for the client, the last processes being the glazing, lacquering, mounting framing etc.

5. Copyright Release vs. Printing Permissions

Copyright is copyright, it is exclusive it cannot be `released` and one does not `release` it: you might give written permission to a couple to print their wedding photos from the CD they have purchased from you, but one still has `copyright`.

A `release` when referred to in Copyright Terms is what a person signs and supplies the original copy allowing a professional photographer to take images of him or articles or land or persons under his legal aegis. [him = personal pronoun, common gender]

6. Fine Art vs. Traditional

Definitions by artists: thematic and open to discussion. Fine Art [re Weddings etc] to me, refers a more artistic approach leaning more to creative portraiture and less to record of event memories

7. Wedding Photojournalism vs. Photojournalism

Photojournalism is that: Journalistic, published presentation representing social comment and social interest in images accompanied sometimes by words, if one were covering a Wedding for this purpose, it is still Photojournalism. One is engaged by the editor or his representative, or if `Freelance` often makes the record and proceeds to attempt to sell same to the Editor.

If one is shooting a Wedding for clients [bride and Groom] then one is a Professional Photographer engaged to shoot as per the Client`s requirements.

9. Assistant vs. Second Shooter

I have employed neither: I have employed an Assistant Photographer, and sometimes three.

I have employed someone to assist me in the office: she is the Office Manager.

I would not engage a Professional Photographer who had a `second shooter`, I would resist using the term.

10. Hand Colored vs. Spot Colored

Hand Coloured is an old technique where by only some parts [lips, cheeks and eyes usually] were dyed by hand [brush] on a BW [usually sepia toned print].

Very few still have the dyes, if they are still made, fewer still know how to use them.

I have not seen the term Spot Coloured used in a professional photographic sense.

Regards WW

Post Script:

No I am not a tired old `film` tart, my point is: many Technical Definitions have been carried over to digital and thus are misused or misleading [many by software manufacturers] in their attempt to account for the digital medium to be backwards compatible with Film.

As an example, in post production of a digital image one may open the `retouching` icon or the `toning` icon. By definition one is not `toning` or `retouching` a print rather one is using software manipulations on a digital image to give a similar [NB not the SAME] outcomes.

Thus there is much confusion with technically correct usage and lay terms, [remebering many lay persons have digital cameras and little formal photographic education].

Another contributing factor is that many `professional photographers` do not seek to understand correct terminology, but rather aspire to impress by using [unnecessary] technical and verbose language.

Just read some of the more technical of these forums.

It is abhorrent that so called `professionals` do not understand the technical rudiments of their craft and the correct language to express same.

Two examples often seen: the intermingling of `depth of focus` and depth of field`; also the misunderstanding of white balance and exposure, and the use of standard grey card to account for each.

It is a very good question you pose and hopefully my effort is seen as consecutive not tiresome.

WW

1. So much money vs. more than so much money!

2. why bother? :)

3. cheap vs expensive

4. Little money vs more money vs too much money

5. MOre money than people want to pay

6. Loads of money

7. Can't decide

9. Don't have enough money

10. Tons of money

Just kidding! There are some words though in the list that, to me, would indicate that the item is more expensive or valuable.

Hi Anne

I saw your thread

II want to take a different approach to question.

Don't define terms to your customer.

Instead define what you do and why

Example: I have a second shooter with me because I can't be everywhere at

once, also it allows for a different perspective on the event.

I hope this helps.

Lou

I agree with you Lou- most clients don't need to understand technical terms, but they do

need to have realistic expectations about their photographer, the photographer's services

and products... which can really only be accomplished through describing one's own process.

With (6) your clients often take their proof cd's to print shops and want "fine art" wedding prints of say 8x10, 11x14 or 16x20; from proofs folks think cannot be printed larger than 4x6. These folks might mean coarse canvas fine art papers to be used, or finer canvas, or the same stuff we print their fine art soccer images on; or it might mean they want the image tweaked to look like whatever fits their belief of what fine art that week. <br><br>Part of the fine art experience cannot be defined, its looking and touchie feelie stuff.<br><br> Part of the fine art/fart experience is dealing with the customer, acknowledging their wedding, soccer, sunset or dog images are ok; talking about the unique sunset shot, the unique soccer shot, the cool wedding dress, the coat of the dog, ie sort of the fine and cheese factor at a fine art showing of artists prints.