what does Betriesbk mean?

that link is incredible! Golden lenses! And then there are those Canon 10d and Nikon D100 owners who fear theft due to the word digital on the camera strap :-)

So what would I do with nearly $12000, probably I'd buy a nice user M6ttl and a Tri Elmar, a ton of XP2, another ton Royal Gold and a trip to Rio :-)

Ok, and some L Zooms for my D60. And come to think of that, a shoping trip to London to get a Hadley, finaly

Still shaking my head

Volker

Rob this is exactly what I am thinking. What does this mean if someone buys a camera with this wrote on the back/top? Should it have been sold from a shop? I know this question could be put forward to leica and they would probably have a suitable answer but just wondered if anyone here knew?

these cameras are given to employees (who are free to resell them), distributors (ditto), and/or high volume dealers.

as for the sanity of the people who buy them on the open market for high -- yet always market-defined -- prices, is collecting rare cameras different than collecting rare coins, stamps, etc??

It means "Over priced" in German, only kidding. I've recently seen past mentions on this board of these models selling for less than new models w/shorter passports. Is Leica merely placing the Betriesbk tag line on "Demo" pieces that have been used by distributors, large retailers, etc. Nice ploy if they are, after all I guess Betriesbk means "Demo Model"

I've saved thousands in the past 15 years buying "Demo" Hassy gear, backs, lenses, etc. It comes w/a little shorter warranty but have never really seen any real dif between "Demo" and "New" except the price point.

The letter that I got from leica was somewhat confusing. The word means

"factory camera" as I understand it. Nowhere in any communication from leica

did it say that it was meant to be a Demo unit. in fact, there were certain

guidelines that dealers needed to follow if they advertised it. I got one of the

M7's simply because it was less expensive than the regular catalog number of

the same item. It actually was very well engraved just in front of the hot shoe.

I disagree with Jack. These cameras are deemed as "test cameras" out of Solms, Germany and distributed to dealers for display or sale. The great thing about these cameras is that the dealers don't have to advertise (or sell) them at the manufactures advertised price (or �MAP�). In my view, it�s a bargain (some are selling $300 below MAP) limited production camera with a PASSPORT warranty. If I needed another body, I would have already acquired one!

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

"Betriebsk" most likely means "Betriebskamera" (which in english would be "factory camera") and thus designate - as written in the article - an internal (test) camera.<br>

An alternative would be "Betriebskontrolle" meaning "factory control" or "function control" (the word "Betrieb" can mean both factory or Use/Function), thus again designating a camera meant for (internal) testing and control.<p>

Daniel