What does "50mm" realy mean?

omeryair

I know it is the length of the lens, but does it have

optical/mathematical meaning like "f" (f=lens's length/diameter)?

Is it the distance between the diaphragm and the film?

Is there a way to calc the angle of view of a lens when you know it's

length?

Actually,that's pretty easy geometry and general.

<br>Take <i>d</i> the film frame diagonal(that is ~43mm for "35mm format"). Take the angle of view <i>a</i>. The tangent of the half of this angle will equal the diagonal <i>d</i> divided by the double of focal length <i>f</i> (triangle with a right angle formed by the half of the film frame diagonal, and focal distance drawn perpendicular to the film plane.)

<p>

For 35mm format and 50mm lens, you end up with an angle of 2 x 23.4 ~ 47 degrees. While a 300mm telephoto gives you an angle of ~8.3 degrees.

<br>For the same 47-degrees "normal" angle of view, but on "6x6 format" film frame, you need a lens with a focal length <i>f</i>=98mm. [since "6x6" is not really 60mmx60mm but smaller, "normal" lenses for this format are usually considered a bit shorter than 98mm...they are around 80mm.]

<p>

Of course, depending on whether the 50mm lens is focussed close or to infinity, the field of view does slightly change...but not that much.

<p>

Hope it's clearer now. Cheers!

Considering the info I got, I made the calc for angle:

arccos((2*(f^2+12^2)-43.26^2)/(2*(f^2+12^2)))=a

Where 'a' is the angle, 'f' is the focal length and 43.26 is the film's diagonal length (43.26 is for 35mm film).

Thanks a lot for your help!

Leica rangefinder users will tell you that the FOV increase as the lens is focused towards infinity can be significant. In some cases 30% more can be included in the final negative than was shown in the brightlines (which show the FOV at 1 metre). This is equal to each side of the frame being 14% longer, which is a fair amount.

• 1 month later...