what do you do if after the photo is taken they ask to see it?

<p></p>

<p> i'm just curious. i personally don't feel comfortable showing them simply because while they may look decent to the public eye, i know as a photographer i can't really tell if it is good from my tiny lcd screen. in my opinion, hardly does a photographer ever take a completely perfect photo cos we are perfectionists. we need to run it through photoshop. or if they think it is bad i offer to retake it. but legally can they ask me to delete it if i am covering their event? should i specify this in a contract?</p>

<p>I show them the photo. If I take a shot and it is not exposed correctly, I just delete it and take another shot. I can tell from the LCD if the shot is good or not. I usually will check every shot. If it is really good, I may even invite my client to take a look. I often will show off a few shots to ease their curiousity. If you feel you need PS before you show a photo, then maybe you are in the wrong business. Just remember, we are in the cell photo camera era. what is good to your is superb to your clients. Just relax and have fun... Oh by the way, I would not suggest you add this point to your contract...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i may show some pics - they look extremely good on lcd creen! :))))</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. Your clients will then be expecting to see that photo in their wedding portfolio but when you get home you discover that the focus is completely off and the highlights are blown beyond recovery, not to mention the groom's eyes are nearly closed... Something you did NOT see on the LCD. "What about that one you showed us? We loved that picture." What if they<em> don't</em> like the image? Then you've caused them undue anxiety and you'll most likely find that they now want to see every image you take from that point forward.</p>

<p>I shot my first wedding (but not my first event) a couple weeks ago as a 2nd. I was asked only once by a guest to see the photo I just took. I just told them that they would all be posted shortly and that the bride or groom would be happy to direct them to the site. What did you miss while the bride, groom, and/or 500 guests are chimping your LCD? If the bride and groom did not have confidence in your abilities they probably wouldn't have hired you.</p>

<p>As a general rule, I do not share images on the LCD. There have been exceptions but they are rare.</p>

<p>george, i am guessing you misunderstood me. correct me if i am wrong. but i am not saying i flat out refuse to show them if they ask, i am just saying i am a huge perfectionist. maybe i am a snob i guess. if i can eyeball it generally speaking and say it's a good photo i show it no problem but it depends on the image too that i take.<br>

think of it this way, if you were a fashion designer would you show the average consumer the unfinished piece risking the chance they want you to do over after the client trusts you will do a great job based on your port? too much risk in that. this is just my personal opinion. i look at the lcd myself to see if the facial expressions or exposure is off and redo it cos that much you can see. but eye correction dodging burning stuff like that you may never get the chance to correct if you show them and they ask to delete it. besides all that there's so many opps you may miss if a bunch of people are trying to see the picture which leads to potential drain of the battery. or changing for a fresh battery which wastes more time and more missed photo opps which might have been prevented if you didn't show all on request.</p>

<p>i guess an exception of always showing it is doing an art gallery opening...if there aren't that many people. i measure it by whether or not you have to duck in and out of the crowd or dodge catering staff constantly.</p>

<p>basically i'll do it. i don't like to but i will. eh i didn't realise i would get varied responses.</p>

<p>Sometimes I show them even when they don't ask, if the picture's really nice, especially earlier on in the shoot or the day. It builds their confidence that I am, in fact, capturing great pictures, so they tend to relax more in front of the camera. I've never had someone ask me for a specific picture they saw on my LCD.</p>

<p><strong>Side Note:</strong> to those who say they delete image files if they don't like them at the time they take them on the wedding day ...</p>

<p>I wonder about the wisdom of doing this. You've just increased the chance of corrupting your CF card or hitting the wrong button and deleting all image files on the card. All I know is that thinking about deleting files as you're creating image files is not a good approach. </p>

<p>Keep your eyes outward to take more photos and keep your fingers off the delete button as an overall good policy, imo.</p>

<p><strong>On topic:</strong> I'll show if they ask but I'm generally to busy doing my job (taking photos) to stop and "socialize". I work for the bride and groom and if they want me to do so I'm sure they would ask. If I feel "compelled" to show an image file for a good reason then I just quickly show it and then move along to doing my job and smile and laugh as they enjoy the photo. I let them know there will be a wedding day photo gallery on my website and ask them to visit the photos sometime in the next two weeks. I would not flat out refuse but I'm working at the time I taking photos so it's more a matter of doing my job.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I share William's concern about deleting any images during the day....too easy to make a mistake. I also have never had an issue with people wanting to look and I'll frequently offer a look to subjects so they can share my excitement with the process and the captures. If you're consistent in getting good images, there shouldn't be a concern about client disappointment with the final images. Actually, adults have never been an issue but I've had a few children that have gotten a little too interested in seeing several shots...working with kids require different skills. Playfulness and humor has been the best approach for me in setting limits & boundaries with the young people.</p>

<p>Yeah, the kids tend to be the ones who go 'Let me see?'</p>

<p>Of course as a pro at a wedding, I rarely have the camera down for more than a few seconds unless I'm doing something (like changing lens, batteries, etc.) I've found that if you always 'look' busy, most guests are too intimidated to interrupt you for their mere viewing pleasure. And since you never know when a kid is going to something incredibly cute, you should always be working... <br>

Of course if you're making rounds socializing, or chillin', you should expect it...</p>

<p>At weddings, I find the couple, and everyone else, don't have time to be looking at LCD screens, so they don't ask. At weddings, if I took a particularly great image, I volunteer to show them. As said above, that just builds confidence. If someone asks, I show them, but I don't linger and keep it down to only a couple.</p>

<p>At engagement sessions, I show the images, so that I can get an idea whether I'm getting what they had in mind. Most everyone understands that more work has to go into the images before they are considered 'finished'. Also, this is good for people spotting details about themselves that they can fix on the spot. Or see that they are using their fake smile and we work on that more...</p>

<p>I've never had anyone ask me to delete an image. If I did, I would refuse. But I'd do so nicely. I'd say something like, "There will be lots of others to choose from..." Can't imagine why this would be a contract issue.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you feel you need PS before you show a photo, then maybe you are in the wrong business.--George Joell</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Aw, c'mon, George, admit it: you miss one or two once in a while yourself. LCDs can be treacherous.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I show them if they ask. I show them if I think it's an awesome photo. I constantly show people the grip and grin photos at receptions. I want people to be excited about my photos, ask where they can see them, hand them my card, and sell them a print. I also tell them that a preview will be up the next day and the rest within two weeks. Last night's wedding preview of 50 photos was online last night.<br>

The bride and groom are my clients, but there's a room full of potential clients and customers!<br>

If they want to see one that was waaaay off on exposure, I just tell them it didn't turn out. Sometimes the flash doesn't fire, you don't make the transition from a shadow area to a sunny area, the focus didn't lock in fast enough, etc. No biggie. If I find something hideous in post, don't post it, and they ask about it, I just tell them the truth (the groomsman was picking his nose in the background or whatever it was).<br>

I'm with George- if you have to do THAT much to a photo to make it look good, you're spending way too much time in post. I use Lightroom for 99% of my editing and that's mainly exposure tweaks and cropping...and straightening, I'm bad with that.</p>

<p>We usually show some of our favorites during the wedding day on the LCD and they never have a chance to ask. We do this to keep their confidence up that they (the b&g not the photos) look awesome. As well we do a slideshow during the end of the reception of photos from their wedding day, SOTC. We usually can nail the exposure 95% of the time SOTC so it's never an issue.</p>

<p>Tehsa,<br>

Although you say that you're a perfectionist and don't want to show an unfinished image, it sounds more like fear of rejection. Do you really think a wedding couple is going to remember any one particular image? And if so, what's wrong with telling them that it was unprintable?<br>

I get more mileage by looking at my LCD screen and saying "Wow" and showing them an image or 2. Try to build excitement in anticipation of their initial viewing at your studio. I used to let the groom take a peek through my viewfinder when I was shooing film with a Hasselblad too....-Aimee</p>

<p>I think I know where this inquiry is pointed. I did a family shoot at a park and the mom wanted to see one of the pictures of her daughter. I showed it to her and later found that it was not focused sharp enough for my standards. I excluded it from my post presentation and was hounded about it. Even after explaining to the mom that it was not that "good" of a pic she insisted on seeing it again. I finally gave in (I will delete next time) and showed her despite the out of focus nature of the shot she liked and wanted to order it. I really did not want to let her display it as my work but I eventually just got over it. That was a while ago and the LCD screen was not nearly as big or sharp as the one on my newer camera. </p>