What do we hope for in Olympus's first micro thirds?- (a trick question.)

GerrySiegel

<p>For me, the trick answer is this: a great zoom lens. Not just good, but great. Comparable to the 14-54 mm moderately fast and good quality all purpose zoom that came out with the E-1 kit when it hit the shores. )Alright, for the bird shooters that stalk cranes and herons, one good zoom telephoto. And for the inconspicuous nighthawks of the pavement, an adapter for a Leica 35mm Summicron will do :-)) No offense intended.<br /> Of course, we will grouch if the LCD does not swivel or a least tilt. ( tilt is fine, when you think about it) We want it to be small, but still feel right. It does not have to satisfy all shooters and does not have to bring along a lot of prime lenses. Olympus could also market its own line of adapters. Then salesmen could pull out any old legacy lens and show that it works with whatever tools you know and love. I 'heart' one 95% at the ready lens with close focus, always have...</p>

<p>So, I am proposing the above ( the first brilliant and versatile lens, besides the Crackerjacks plastic ones that seems to be so common these days on the Best Buy models-)- as <strong>more</strong> important than most any other feature I can think up. How about that thought?</p>

<p>For you, my good friends of the format ( no duffers/ yard sale only buyers need reply), what is the <em>must have</em> , <em>sine qua non</em> quality -for you to add this Olympus forthcoming entry to micro format mount system to your kit?</p>

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>For you, my good friends of the format ( no duffers/ yard sale only buyers need reply), what is the <em>must have</em> , <em>sine qua non</em> quality -for you to add this Olympus forthcoming entry to micro format mount system to your kit?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That they would actually come with something (not a model, no curtains, no history) that works. </p>

<p>We know that once they start, they will be coming with a model every other month! M1, M1a, M2001...;)</p>

<p>i want really fast primes. i want what will essentially be a digital version of the 35rc except with interchangable lenses. none of this matters though because we are going to get our hopes up and olympus is going to unveil something noone could have imagined.</p>

<p>I'm with Warren. Must have FAST primes.</p>

<p>In 35mm terms - a 21mm F/2, a 24mm f/2, 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/2, 100mm f/2.8 MACRO, and a 135mm f/2.</p>

<p>It also must have SDHC memory card ability, 8 megapixels would be good. Must have a hot shoe to use external flash. It would be nice to use BLM-1 batteries.</p>

<p>The mockup has a rear LCD for composing the image and no optical viewfinder. I think this camera could be great for wide to mid focal lengths but very poor for long telephotos. If you want something for longer lenses I think the Panasonic G1 would be a much better choice.</p>

<p>I would want a really small body, similar in size to Sigma DP1, with a hot shoe in top that can be fitted with an optical viewfinder, maybe a zoom. A fixed focal length wide angle lens. That may be diffiult for the full 4/3s but should be easier for the m4/3. 2.8/14 or even better, 2/14 would be ideal. 2.8/17 a good compromise. Maybe a 2/35 as well. The zoom viewfinder should then have settings for 14 (or 17), 25, 35 and 50mm focal lengths. A good, responsive camera, better than the DP1 in this respect. Proper raw buffer for a few images.</p>

<p>- A body the size of the Panasonic LC1, with the control design of the Panasonic L1, using the micro-FourThirds lens mount, 12Mpixel sensor and EVF from the Panasonic G1, with a weather-sealed magnesium skin. <br>

- A set of fast, compact, prime, pro-grade, weather-sealed lenses: 10mm f/2.8, 15mm f/2, 20mm f/2, 25mm f/1.4, 40mm f/1.4, and 70mm f/2. <br>

- Be sure the body has a front and rear IR remote receptor and a wired remote receptacle. Include the IR remote with the body, have a dedicated slot on the body to store it. <br>

- Ensure a 5-8 frame RAW buffer and SDHC memory storage cards, a 1500 Mah battery. <br>

- Make sure it is compatible with the FL36R, including the dedicated wireless control functionality.<br>

- Deliver a pro-quality FourThirds to micro-FourThirds lens adapter, update the firmware on all FourThirds SLR lenses to enable AF compatibility if at all possible.<br>

<p>- Price the camera plus 25mm f/1.4 lens at $1000 MSRP max.</p>

</p>

<p>That would be my ideal system at this point in time ... I wouldn't need or want anything else. It would allow me to leverage my existing, substantial investment in Olympus and Panasonic/Leica lenses and complement my SLR bodies while having significant, unique value add on its own. </p>

<p>Hard to improve of the two suggestions above mine.<br>

Basically m4/3 camera should be a 'system' that spans more well above/beyond 'Olympus'<br>

only lenses. In other words, they should continue the 'OSS-like (from software world) model that they<br>

have done with the mount. And apply the open standards it to other attachments -- like viewfinders/flashes/in-lens electronics, batteries, any other electronics that can have an 'interface'.<br>

So that other manufactures can jump onto the system and improve it. Create<br>

various market tiers.<br>

The above would bring prime lenses of various qualities from various vendors and olympus,<br>

viewfinders, flashes perhaps other tools that we are not even envisioning.<br>

in other words, I would like to see m 4/3d to be developed into a true long lasting<br>

'platform' for photographic tools.</p>

<p>While some good prime lenses will be nice the camera needs a viewfinder (otherwise i will stick with the G1). I may be old fashioned but except for a tripod mounted shot I cannot compose photos on an LCD screen with the camera out in front of me. The mock ups I have seen appear to be much more like a compact camera. If the pass the viewfinder test then lenses and in body image stabilization would be very desirable.<br>

I am interested to see if others regard a viewfinder as essential.</p>

<p>I would normally insist on a viewfinder, but for a small interchangeable lens camera I do not see it as essential. I would rather have the option to use a good separate optical viewfinder. The rear LCD seems to do for most people. When I need SLR viewing, I use an SLR. This would be for me a small travel backup landscape and street shooter. I really don't want Olympus to make another G-1, whether improved or not. That is good for what it is, but I want something entirely different.</p>

<p>Ve-e-er-y interesting.I feel a bystander or out of the shooting loop, at times, when Oly enthusiasts yearn for more prime lenses. (And fast, meaning at least f 2.0 or wider).</p>

<p>I have a modest but ample collection of Canon FD primes, 7 fixed focal length lenses from 28mm to 200 mm used w/ T90 and A-1, Served me well for years, with big shoulder bags. And then I got drawn by siren song to the E-1's feel and solidity. ( Like my Bronica SQ in build and heft, sort of)... Bought used FD lenses whenever possible. Bargains. . Came close to springing for the Aspheric 85mm 1.2L .but even used it was about $600.00. Settled for the 85mm 1.8,nice enough, carryable. I rented the F 1.2 for two weeks, marvelous indeed, almost too sharp and fussy in focus in some ways, and pretty hefty chunk. I appreciate that kind of superlative crispness is what I mean to add,but I didn't need it at the time...</p>

<p>Surprised myself however by traveling to places like Western Australia with who lenses, the FD 35-105mm F 3.5 and the 50mm 1.4. That's all.. Not a prize winner that zoom, in terms of barrel distortion correction, and long, rotating barrel. But light, an all around utility outfielder lens.</p>

<p>Does it not seem that Olympus has put its talents not into designing affordable ED <strong>prime</strong> lenses. What do they sell, about 3? One for special order for the National Geographic Society crew... ( I may be out of synch.Square me away,please,thanks). Fast prime shooters, what is the attraction? is it more than a fetish? Is it a hangover of the OLD DAYS? That 25mm pancake was not exactly a "gold standard optic "was it? And not on the old lens roadmap. It got slipped in while the bosses were on vacation, gs...</p>

<p>I have always purchased Olympus P & S cameras (film & digital) over the years but have not quite made the plunge into their DSLR line - have been tempted many a time, especially by the E-3. I see this new micro third line as promising.<br>

I have a Contax G system with a number of Carl Zeiss primes that I still use - it is the perfect travel camera with excellent quality lens. If Olympus produces anything <em>remotely</em> akin to a "digital version" of the Contax G system in size/functionality/versatility then I will in the queue!</p>

<p>George, </p>

<p>FYI: RJ (jinfinance from Ebay) let me know yesterday that he's producing a Contax G to micro-FourThirds lens mount that will be compatible with the 35, 45 and 90 mm lenses (includes a focusing mechanism). </p>

<p>I like primes because they are generally speaking better than zooms, also smaller and usually cheaper, and just about always faster. Fast lens is good, it gives a bright viewfinder image, it helps the camera to focus faster, it gives shallow depth of field to separate the subject, it allows faster shutter speeds and this can be especially important in 4/3s when ISO cannot indefinitely be raised. I have four primes for the 4/3 system (and a few adapted ones). 1.4/30 is fast for real low light use. 2.8/25 is just a small and handy lens, one of my favourites. 2/50 is a very good lens in every way and also a superb macro. The 3.5/35 would be much cheaper (and lighter) but is a bit slow and also feels very plasticky to me. 2/150 is my jungle lens, it is often dark and wet so I need fast aperture and water resistant construction. I would very much like something in between the 50 and 150. And something wider than 25.</p>

<p>I want an EVF in the upper left corner of the back of the camera, like a Leica, so my nose does not coat the LCD screen with grease! And so I can work with it like I do with a Leica, with half my face uncovered to people that I'm photographing and my left eye is free to look at the real world. Working at arm's length with an LCD only is not as successful a street-shooter method for me as using a proper viewfinder is.<br>

I want a 17mm f/2 or f/2.8 prime. And I want a small 14-35mm f/2.8 zoom. Hot Shoe. PC connection would be sweet, but that's no doubt asking too much.<br>

A smaller right hand grip than the G1. Those huge humps get in my way and limit how I can hold the camera. All I need is a little bump with a rubberised grip to hold on to.<br>

I want decent performance at ISO 1600, good at 800, but really great IQ at ISO 400.</p>

<p>I would also like to see fast primes in standard to super-wide range. As already pointed out, the body without a grip and an SLR-like EVF don't seem to be suitable for longer lenses, so I would hope that Olympus has understood that and decided to put their energy to standard and wide-angle lenses.</p>

<p>As for the lenses, I want lenses (especially wide-angles) that can focus extremely close to the subject. Thanks to the excellent live-view capability and the compactness, M4/3 camera can be held with one hand and put right in front of the subject (flower, insect and the like) by stretching the arm, which I had enjoyed doing when I used P&S cameras that can focus so close that the working distance would be like 1-2cm.</p>

<p>Godfrey - any idea when the G series adaptor will be available? You say it will support AF which is interesting. Shame it will not work with the 28 and 21 lenses but they are very close to the film plane in the Contax. I use the Jinfinance FD adaptor and am very happy with it - you can even take interesting shots with the FD tilt shift lens on the G1 - it becomes a 70mm F2.8. Gary for the G1 I find that the Canon 85 F1.2 is a tricky lens to use as wide open it is almost impossible to shoot handheld as the DOF is so small. I must say that it is still my favourite Canon FD lens (closely followed by the 135 F2 and 24 f2). Have have had some fun with the FD 15mm fisheye on the G1. The G1 with canon FD glass really impresses me with it's image quality. On reasonable size prints it compares remarkably well to my 5DII with L series glass. Even shooting test charts at 10x8 it is had to seperate them in resolution and sharpness though they do have slightly different colours - the EF lenses on the 5DII being slightly warmer. I am very interested to see what the Contax glass will do on the G1 as the 90 F2.8 is one of the best 35mm lenses I have ever used.<br>

I have never seen the output of Micro 4/3 with Leica glass but I suspect it is very impressive.</p>

<p>Philip:</p>

<p>I'd recommend contacting RJ through Ebay (look up seller 'jinfinance' and send a message) to ask him directly what his schedule for this adapter is. </p>

<p>I didn't mean to imply that the adapter would provide autofocus! That would be extremely difficult and expensive. What it will provide is a way to drive the Contax G lenses' focus system, which is the screwdriver slot connection in the lens mount and operates internally, through a focusing ring of some sort. RJ can give you more details. </p>

<p>Yes, the Contax G lenses were superb. I had the 16, 21, 45 and 90 mm ... all brilliant. I just didn't like the camera itself very much, found it clumsy to work with compared to the Leica M bodies, and went back to the Leica M after I sold it off. It's good to see that someone is creating a way to use at least some of these great lenses on a digital body. :-)</p>

<p>About the size of a 35RC body<br>

Small primes: 11mm f2.8, 17mm f2, 25mm f2, 50mm f2; all lens accessory thread sizes the same in these four lenses. How about 43mm? Just like the old Pen F.<br>

LCD on top with clip for waist level finder, magnifed chimney finder, right angle(eye level) finder. When you push each finder on an electrical contact puts the screen into the correct orientation for right side up-left to right viewing.<br>

Many lens adapters at reasonable prices. (China?)<br>

A shutter speed dial! Please please please, no press button-spin control dial-read shutter speed on screen, just gimme the damm dial with the speeds marked on it!<br>

Ditto for a real aperture ring on the lens. Even if aperture control is fly by wire give it the feel of the old mechanical linkage.<br>

And, I'd rather have 5 million great pixels than 12 million crummy pixels.<br>

A cheap, easy to plug in, wired electrical release. If Olympus wants to develop a fragile, battery eating, radio or IR remote release they can be my guest. Just don't try to sell it to me for an 800% markup because I'm NOT interested.<br>

Well, I think that about wraps up the essentials.</p>