What do they do with their thousands of images?!!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pjdilip, Feb 20, 2021.

1. not exactly, it means 'never ending' JD

Literally, yes. Just about (if we want to split hairs) QG

All well and good: but, is not the beauty of understanding thoughts; the correct interpretation of them?

2. "Give a photographer a digital camera, and a big SD card, and a real work of art will be produced"...I think your evaluation is small minded. Who among us have ever tried to evaluate the split second we trip that shutter? I've been doing this for 50 years now, and I have no idea why I trip that shutter now, versus a millisecond later/sooner. I've also seen enough shrinks to know I will never know. The "NOW" moment is unknown, involuntary, and MAGIC! Do you think Ansel Adams knew why he tripped the shutter at 2:17 pm instead of 2:16 pm? Maybe he took both, but only one said "YES" to him in the dark room. I don't think you mean to be as casual in your statement...I hope. Like I said, I have been doing this for 50 years...mostly in what I consider the most competitive genre, advertising/fashion. I did well...not because I have any special talent, but because I worked my ass off, and was lucky. Never underestimate luck...being in the right place at the right time is 90% of great photography!

3. I do. I mean, isn't it obvious that if he had tripped the shutter at 2:16, the guy wouldn't have started his jump over the puddle yet? :)
    I'd say the "NOW" moment is partially unknown, partially involuntary, and MAGIC, often combined with what's known, what's voluntary, and what's thought about.

4. That's Cartier Bresson.

doug_johnson|10 likes this.
  5. Jeez, what nonsenses. It was setup, how simple is that to understand..

Phylo/ Phil, or Qg something, worked it out all on his own.

A hope, of understanding , for us all.

6. Doug, sorry for the senior moment on AA and HCB, lol. In any case, HCB might have been a photographer who knew why he tripped the shutter at one moment instead of the next. I imagine AA did as well, especially if he was waiting for a particular cloud formation to catch the light he wanted or the sun to fall on the water the way he visualized it. Who knows, maybe at some point, he photographed a guy jumping over a puddle in Yosemite! That photo, if it exists, he would have decided to keep to himself.

7. Sam, I guess I was going a little deeper than lining up clouds and sun. A lifetime of experience comes into play when a photographer trips that shutter. There is no way of knowing why that particular formation of visual elements resonates with any one particular photographer! I've always found that when I get in the "zone", the less I'm thinking, the more I'm purely reacting, the better my photos. The "zone" is not a conscious place.

8. The zone is often a gut-level place for me, though I suspect I'm still conscious when in the zone.

In any case, thoughts about the why of the moment, for me, may come in the moment, may come either before I go out or when I'm reviewing my shots after I've taken them. While being in the zone can be a key, thinking about what I've done or will do at other times, when I'm not necessarily holding a camera, noticing when and why I clicked the shutter at particular times over the years has helped me develop a vision with intention. For me, working with thoughts and instincts, intention and spontaneity, serendipity, luck, and some very conscious effort has led to combinations that work for me and play off each other. I do a fair amount of series and projects, which may lead to more thinking in order for them to be coherent.

We all work differently and that's why there are diverse visions, diverse photographs, and diverse bodies of work.

9. "Do you think Ansel Adams knew why he tripped the shutter at 2:17 pm instead of 2:16 pm?"

Actually, maybe not exact time, but I believe Adams was quite deliberate. He knew he wanted to shoot a certain scene at a certain time of day. He had get himself to the right spot, which is no small feat in the wilderness, and he knew where he wanted the light to be when he shot. A minute either way? Who knows, but he knew about when the light was what he wanted and planned for it. There was no way to "spray and pray" with a large format view camera.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  10. "but I believe Adams was quite deliberate. He knew he wanted" Barry

Indeed, the stage was set, and the drum roll...

DS6C006692 - Copy.jpg

11. I'm somewhere in-between.