What do they do with their thousands of images?!!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pjdilip, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Indeed. 'Infinity' means 'never'.

2. not exactly, it means 'never ending'

3. Literally, yes. Just about (if we want to split hairs, and look at meaning more than etymology, "unlimited" might be even better).
    The important bit is the first bit "never". Parallel lines crossing at infinity? = They never cross (i.e. you can walk them for ever, i.e. never end walking, and not see them cross). Monkeys producing a Shakespeare play given an infinite amount of time? They will never. Et cetera.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  4. In the context of photographic practice, it seems less about what infinity may or may not mean and how that applies to monkeys typing Shakespeare and more about whether one gets delight or satisfaction (or professionally usable results) in taking thousands of quick snaps, bursts, or even videos from which to extract a still. The alternative is having a more considered and streamlined approach and, of course, there all degrees in between the two extremes. I generally lean toward deliberativeness over randomness knowing, of course, that randomness and accident often play key roles even in the most deliberative of processes.

I've never had a desire to emulate monkeys, whether they're walking parallel or crooked lines and even if their behaviors could one day lead to Hamlet. I'd prefer writing something I actually thought of.

5. Yes, it is about time. Some situations do not allow much consideration, ask for a quick response. Then it helps to be able to consider at leisure later, going through what you have recorded.
    No need for that, you can save time in fact, when you do proceed deliberately and only record what you want.
    Then there is that happy accident thing. You may find things you like among the unintended many. Well... yes. So what? When you have what you want, you do not miss what you know not of. And you cannot go through life constantly fearing you miss all unknown things that might be or have been.

6. So, it's finding something latent that now becomes significant and feels a budding part of me. It's being in touch with not just the photographers and artists who came before me, but my own history as a photographer. It's creating that chain or dialog that is the process of photography for me rather than a bunch of single, unrelated acts.
    I don't. This has nothing to do with fear, at least for me. It has to do with discovery.

The fact that you think saving photos for possible discovery later is about fear is your issue.

7. This is a mischaracterization. When I took those shots that I’ve held onto over the years, they were deliberate and intentional. What’s changed is my own vision, desires, and the context within which they take on significance and within which I view them.

8. I think you read what you wanted to read.
    What happened to your leaning towards deliberativeness over randomness?

9. You think i addressed you personally?

10. Yes, I do.

Deliberativeness comes in a variety of forms. I can have been deliberate ten years ago but not have seen the potential in a shot I took deliberately but that didn’t seem at the time to pan out. Now, I may remember a shot I took or come across it while browsing and use my intentional approach to make something out of it, seen now in a new light. I can be intentional about many other things photographic besides simply deciding what I want to shoot and how I want to shoot it. I can intentionally work toward a series that might benefit from some past photos I hadn’t found a place for. I can intentionally develop a new style for me that might now make use of ways I used to shoot that hadn’t yet appeared to me as having stylistic, thematic, or compositional potential. I try not to close off possibility.

11. Something you may have caught by now is that I talk about how I photograph, personally. That's my experience. It's much less interesting to hear theoretical meanderings and armchair criticisms of how other people work, especially when there's very little said about one's own methods of doing photography and when there are no photographs to give some context or insight into what those methods wind up producing. So, yes, yes, yes, this is personal for me.

12. You're wrong in assuming that this thread is about you.

So what choice is yours: spray and pray, or deliberately take those photos you intend to take and no more?

13. I think this thread is about a topic and I tend to come at photographic topics from the standpoint of personal experience and practical application. So, I bring my photographic experience to bear in talking about the importance of various ways of shooting and archiving.

In that sense, most of the threads here are about each of us and all of us as well as the topic. Except for you, where you make it about everyone else except for yourself, have no examples of photos to offer, and keep everything theoretical and at arm's length.
    You asked me this earlier and I've already answered. Again, you talk as if it's either/or, leaving room for no finesse or nuance and unable to consider gray areas or in-between spaces.

Here's what we already said on that subject. Remember?

14. Here's a photo I'm glad I held onto. It was shot back in 2006 and I recently went back to it because of a show I was putting together where I was dedicating a wall to Americana. It fit in nicely to that wall and turned out to be a good foreshadowing of some of the current work I've been doing. I didn't see its potential at the time.

airstream-mosca-colorado-2006-ww.jpg
    airstream, mosca colorado

15. For me the critical difference between a single great shot from one attempt aided by accumulated skill and even a bit of serendipity, as opposed to a single great shot gleaned from the spray and pray method, is in what I gain from the photograph.

Ricochetrider and inoneeye like this.
  16. Maybe these folks who shoot so many photos in a given outing have minions to do the dirty work of sifting and culling?

I began my photographic journey not knowing anything at all about photography. With a digital camera and a pocketful of data cards, the sky was the limit. It's fair to say I did a lot of "spare & pray" shooting. Shooting film has slowed me down with my digital camera. By now I have learned quite bit more than I ever knew before about photography so on the occasion I do break out my digital camera, I'm a lot more studied in what I am doing. Yet I still have a great number of photos in my PHONE LOL. Usually only one or maybe two of any given subject tho- not 100 of each. The truth is I'm not currently carrying a camera everywhere I go. My phone stands in for documentation of life on the fly and I tend to take more phone pix than any other kind. With that I will add that I don't see my phone as a "real camera. I wouldn't use it for any "serious" photography. Not to say I don't sometimes end up with what I feel are good shots - I have yet to send a phone-pic file to the printer however. Of ALL the definitely thousands of phone pics I've shot over the ages ( it does seem like it's been ages since we all began carrying phones, doesn't it), this might be the one & only true "keeper"- but this is only my opinion (see my final comment, below).

IMG_2825.jpeg

That said, I have quite a lot of old files on hard drives- and several years' worth of travel photos etc on my desktop. I find myself going back through them time & again- sometimes finding something I'd passed over previously. Honestly, Photo dot net's threads in No Words have spawned more than a little digging, looking for shots that fit whatever theme. The thread title will spark a memory, I dig through the uploads and sometimes manage to find something I'd overlooked. And this is not to say it's always a great photo, but usable in the context of the thread. Since I post if for public consumption, opening myself to potential judgement or scrutiny at the very least, I probably wouldn't post anything too terrible- but maybe I'm not the best one to ask if my own photos are good, bad, or otherwise?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  17. And the award goes to Ric ... for best typo in the thread!

18. 50 years ago I did yearbook photography for 7th and 8th grade. I bought 100 foot rolls of film from Freestyle for $4.95. (in 1971 $).

So, yes, I did try not to waste film, but it was cheap enough not to worry so much about it.
    (Develop it myself, and not print all of them. Maybe a few hundred over two years.)

And yes the habits carry over. I might take somewhat more shots, but not huge numbers more.

I think you have to not only include the cost of film (or memory card), but also the time needed to sort through them.

And many of the 7th and 8th grade shots are now on FB, for my fellow classmates to see, even if I never printed them.

19. I bought a used LTO-1 drive years ago, and it works well.

A few years ago, an LTO-3, but I haven't gotten around to connecting it up yet.
    The older ones are reasonably priced.

20. Damn! guess I need to proofread BEFORE hitting sned? LOL

Supriyo and samstevens like this.