What do female photographers wear to shoot a wedding?

belledeux diana

The photographer I work with sometimes asks me to wear black dress

clothes. I suppose it looks "official", and makes us easy to spot

(since not that many people wear black to a wedding with the

exception of the groom and his men). I always wear dress pants with a

top, and sometimes a very lightweight black jacket.

My sister, a videographer, who works beside me, wears dress clothes

which always fit in, and never ever overwhelm, or even, imply that

she is part of the wedding or guests. (I mean literally we work side

by side. She works on her own, but we both get photos of the bride's

face during the wedding, and stand as close as we possibly can to the

bride during the whole wedding, which sometimes puts us in dim light

in the empty choir section right behind the minister.)

I don't mind the black, except on some days when I get just a little

tired of it.

I was just wondering what other women photographers wear to work a

wedding.

Hi Belle -my 2cents worth. I have my female asst's wear pantsuits -no dresses for obvious reasons. I want my asst. to look like they belong at the wedding -to look like a guest, to blend in. To me this is important -if you stick out like a sore thumb then it's hard to shoot unobtrusively - to get good candids. If it's a "mini" wedding -just the ceremony and formals -then all bets are off. Be comfortable. In all situations though dress tastefully. Never try to dress to garner TOO much attention from the bride/groom. This is a disaster.Been there/seen that and it looks really bad.best regards -RichD

I defer to black for a few reasons-

- sweat, not attractive when seen- or rain, or bathroom sink spray

- stains, should I find myself eating in a hurry and spill something

- rips, heaven forbid this would happen- but in case I crouch and pants split- black

undergarments will conceal.

- comfort, black fabrics can look nice while hiding their knit stretchiness

- practicality, I'd rather spend time thinking about the pictures I'm going to take instead of

what I'm going to wear.

I've seen guests wear black at just about every wedding I've been too, so I never feel as

though it's out of place or innappropriate. I like to blend into the background and

shadows as much as possible.

I also wear black. As stated, many guests wear black. It is smart and dressy and professional all at the same time. Shooting photo-journalistic work means blending in as much as possible. Most important for me is that I wear the black stretch material that doesn't wrinkle. It is flexible, comfortable and I always look fresh. Sometimes I have to sit in a car for a few hours on the way to the wedding - thank god I'm wrinkle proof...

Aside from the clothes, have you heard of the 'telephoto' lens? Standing behind the minister is a bit overboard, no? Any and all images can be re-done after the ceremony---plus how do you get the ring exchange with the minister in the middle of the pair getting married? (Hopefully, you do not 'exit' your spot in the empty choir section to dash to the main part of the church?)

The couple is getting married, the family wants to observe. I would venture a guess not many families want to see a pair of 'workers' in the background during the ceremony....

I have two outfits that I've worked out for myself for very specific purposes. I guess I'm the odd woman out for wearing skirts. I always felt pant suits were too casual (my opinion only). One outfit is black, the other is navy/blue. One has a business suit type herringbone or heathered jacket, the other has a more dressy muted, textured dressmaker jacket (for evening, dressier or black tie weddings). With each skirt, I wear a matching short sleeve cotton turtleneck top. I wear separates so that I can bend, reach and stretch without gapping anywhere (the skirt covers to below my knees and is not skimpy or slim, but tailored and you don't have to worry about pants seams busting). The turtleneck is cotton because it breathes, and can be worn in both hot and cold environments, with or without the jacket. The materials are not the kind that collect lint or cat/dog hair. My shoes are ugly flats--but necessary for comfort and durability. I have to get new ones every year because I wear them out. I often have a hard time finding the components because women's clothing isn't often made with durability and functionality in mind. Even the jackets I find sometimes don't have pockets built in, and the shoulder seams and materials don't hold up to punishment from shoulder bag straps, etc.

Something low-cut to keep the groomsmen's attention away from the "punch". ;-)

Kidding aside, black or grey, wrinkle proof clothing--pants always, so I can manuever easily. If I know I'll be outside in extreme heat, I choose a lighter top with black trousers. Doll myelf up with accessories--they go a long way, classy though, "diamond" stud earings and a pretty necklace/choker.

Shoes must be comfy, I bring two pairs.

I also wear the "ninja" attire. I feel most comfortable wearing

black to a wedding (most guests wear black anyway). It is very

easy to blend in, which is exacly the point! Black dressy pants

and a black top does it. No suits or skirts for me...kathy

• 1 year later...
Personalllyy I wear some grey trousers, with faint pinstripe to them, white shoes (if summer) that have either a very small heel or none at all, learning from experience that anything over an inch is unbearable! In summer I wear either a white or pastel blouse/shirt or wrap top or in winter some sort of variation on a white or cream wrap jumper. I find I'm formal enough but still in workable clothes, I would never wear a dress or short skirt as it just gets in the way, plus it looks a bit odd teamed with a hulking great big camera round my neck. Unobtrusive make-up and simple classic jewellery, its really all about what you feel comfortable in, but you really do have to consider the weather as once I nearly fainted in a church it was so hot! Good luck to all. Emma.x

• 5 years later...

<p>The bride that I'm shooting for asked me to wear a dress, which she picked out for me. She wanted to ensure that I fit in with the color scheme of the wedding. She's also invited me to all of the gatherings that the bridal party have, i.e., the monthly meetings, the "bachelorette" party, etc. to ensure that I know who's going to the wedding, know what's going on, and know exactly what type of photography the couple wants. Of course, this may be the exception, as she's an old friend of mine. <br>

<br />Good luck in your endeavor to find the perfect clothing choice!</p>