What Canon FF body to get?

alan_bessler

<p>My answer would be obvious since I just bought a brand new 5D mk ii a few months ago - when I saw the truly spectacular specs on the mk iii, I realized that there was little improvement<em> for my own particular shooting</em> that justified my spending the additional dollars.</p>

<p>The 1 models are another story. You've hit their strengths, except you could also add superior weather sealing to the list of 1 virtues.</p>

<p>Brand-new 5D mk iis are selling for not a lot more than used ones are selling for still. I'm sure that eventually the used prices will drop, but prior history for Canon digital cameras show that the older models often hold their value remarkably well, especially when the replacement in the lineup is more costly.</p>

<p>I loved shooting with the 1Ds II, but I have to admit that I stopped shooting it after I got the 5D II.</p>

<p>The 5D is a fine camera, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 5D II, either.</p>

<p>I have never used the 5D III, which I am sure is even better that the 5D II--but the 5D II will not disappoint you. It gave the best image quality of any DSLR that I have ever used. (I have never shot Nikon or Sony DSLRs.)</p>

<p>I personally think that the 5D II is the best FF buy for the money that one can get, all the more since the price drop with the arrival of the 5D III.</p>

<p>The 5D II is also very good if you like low light photography:</p>

<p><a href="../photo/12002274&size=lg">link</a></p>

<p>That shot was made hand-held at night with ISO at 3200.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>For shooting landscapes and portraiture, the 5D2 is probably the better choice. It's DR and color depth is slightly as makes no difference better than the 1DsII, and has a significantly higher resolution, and better High ISO noise performance, and is considerably lighter.</p>

<p>Still, considering that a 1Ds2 can be had for ~ the same as a 5D2, there are features (like AF point linked spot metering) that are unique to the 1. So, if you are willing to put up w/ the weight, the 1Ds2 is maybe worth it in the long run.</p>

<p>You don't need the fps and superior AF system of the MkIII; however, the MkII has superior high-ISO performance and higher detail resolution than the MkI, so I'd recommend the MkII, if you can afford that. It's fantastic for landscapes and portraits.</p>

<p>Last fall I chose a new 5D II over the 1DsII at the same price point. I am not sorry, I think the extra pixels are worth the flimsier, lighter, smaller body (not all bad things either). The prices of the 1DsIII are falling fast though and I would be considering those if I were choosing now.</p>

<p>I would not even consider the 5D III which is priced way beyond it's reality.<br>

</p>

<p>You didn't mention the price differential between the 5D2 and the 1Ds2. For the same money the 5D2 is a better camera, by all accounts, but if you can save a few hundred dollars by getting a 1Ds2 instead then do that. You mention you plan to do portraits and landscapes - not video, and not anything requiring very high ISO settings. On the other hand the 5D2's less capable autofocus won't really affect you either.</p>

<p>For your planned photography the one big advantage of the 5D2 is Live View.</p>

<p>Since I also shoot still or slow moving subjects, image quality is the paramount factor when I'm considering acquiring new gear. Factors such as burst rate, AF speed and focus point array are far secondary. </p>

<p>So if I were you, Alan, I'd get the body with the best sensor that I could afford, and that sounds like the 5DII (which is the full frame body I use).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I own a 7D so speed and focus I have and I'm looking to shoot raw ony landscapes and portraits."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd say the 5D II is a much better fit for your intended use. I can't see the point in acquiring a much bigger and heavier body with lower pixel count and inferior noise characteristic.</p>

<p>For now I bought a used 1DS in excellent ++ condition with less than 27,000 clicks from the original owner for a great price.I will down the road though get a new body when I save a little longer,thanks for all your help. The 5D MKIII is my choice for that camera.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I own three Nikon D700 bodies with decent lenses; I used a 5dmkii + 35mm L & 135mm L for a few weeks here in NH and on a vacation in Colombia. I was amazed, this is the only other camera in my price range that I have liked. At the current price this camera is an absolute bargain. </p>