What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, May 26, 2017.

1. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

Hope to finish up a roll of Ektar 100 in the Yashica TL Electro X.

2. Finished the roll of Rolleipan 25 in the SRT and have a second roll in my Ricoh KR5 Super II with 50mm f2 Rikenon lens. Nice light weight camera for cycling. It's also a nice fit for a few of my Pentax M lenses: 28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5 and the ultrathin 40mm f2.8.

3. This WE, I try my "new" Bronica GS-1, but I just noticed a problem :
    all speeds are seemingly OK except 1/500 (which - the manual says - is the only speed not controlled electronically, but mechanically).
    Instead of remaining open 1/500sec it more or less stays open about 1/4sec. Any idea about that ?

Paul

4. Hello
    I have a roll of TMax 100 loaded in the Rollei 35s I will be using this weekend

Mike Gammill likes this.
  5. The KR-5 Super II
    upload_2017-7-29_22-0-30.jpeg
    Got this one loaded with Rolleipan 25, but I'm using the Rikenon 50mm f2 instead of the Pentax lens.

raghu_kuvempunagar likes this.
  6. Either Minolta Autocord or Fujica 35 ML. Arista Edu 400.

7. Ended up finishing the last half of the Rolleipan 25 in the Ricoh with Tamron 35-70 f3.5 Adaptall. It actually adds a nice heft to this otherwise light camera. I have a Chinon 45 mm 2.8 pancake lens to fit it, but the aperture blades are sluggish. This lens was sold in Ricoh trim as well back in the 90's.

8. Just finished my first roll in my "new" Canon EF. Now to find out if it worked.

stephen_morris|3 likes this.
  9. Minolta SRT-303b.JPG Giving Minolta a real try with Fuji Superia 200 negative color film. This is the final version of their long line of match-needle SLRs. Solid, smooth and complete information in the viewfinder along with access to some of the highest-performing lenses ever made. Shown here with a heavy Hoya 25-42mm/3.5 (made by Tokina?) zoom lens that is surprisingly good.

10. I'm currently working on a roll of Ilford FP4+ in the SRT 202 with 35mm f2.8 MC Rokkor. Some will be with orange filter and others without. Will probably run another roll of Rolleipan 25 through another one of my SRTs.

11. Light was very good this evening and my kid was happy to pose for the camera in the park. So I ran Arista Edu Ultra 400 thru Minolta Autocord and Agfa Sensor 535. And half a roll of the same film thru Fujica 35ML. What a sweet camera is the Fujica to operate! Made my day though I'm quite sure the pics from Autocord will turn out better than both Fujica and Sensor. :)

12. Looks like this thread has morphed into what cameras are you using this week! Nice development imho.

13. Agfa Sensot 535 is a beautiful camera with a bright viewfinder. It is quite a joy to use this camera for street photography. Unfortunately my copy gave me some trouble today: firstly, the film winder got stuck 2/3 thru the roll; next the film rewind mechanism failed and I had to take the film out in the changing bag; lastly but quite alarmingly, several of the frames were too dense to discern any image in them - so dense that there was no inter-frame gap. The rest of the frames are quite good with no obvious faults that I could figure out by visual inspection. My guess is the camera's electronics is fine looking at the frames that came out well and the film winder (ironically mechanical) is faulty. It is almost impossible to get a vintage electronics camera repaired locally.

It is in this kind of situations I wish the camera were either flawless or fully dead.

14. While I'm saving most of these scans for the next Film Camera Weekend, I'll put a sneak preview of one here. This was done with the Ricoh KR5 Super II with the Rikenon 50mm f2 lens. While not a pancake lens like the Pentax M 40mm f2.8, it's still pretty small and adds very little weight to the camera. Great for biking.
    upload_2017-8-1_15-20-58.jpeg
    Abandoned school, Rolleipan 25

15. Mike, the Ricoh KR5 ll with the 50/2 was one of my favorite rigs; light weight and the Bokeh is pretty good - though the mirror slap I think was louder than other SLR's. I brought it as 'new old stock' for $60 and used it for many years, eventually giving it away to a photo student. Anyway, tomorrow going out with my Ricoh 500 with ektar and maybe my Rolleicord. (Will post pics from them in a couple of weeks). (P.S.- forgot to add SUPER II)

16. Richard, a useful feature of the KR5 Super II is if the self timer is set the mirror goes up at the beginning of the cycle so any mirror vibration is essentially over by the time the shutter is released. A poor man's mirror lock-up if you like. This is also the way the Yashica FX3 Super 2000 works as well as others that are likely Cosinas underneath.

17. yeah, well though the mirror I think was louder, its not significantly so - at least I never got any blurry photos from the KR5 Super II. Also liked the 1/2000 top shutter speed of this camera; and its small size and very accurate light-meter. Thought about buying another one but already have 2 Nikon FG's...(Well i'm OFF, shooting that is :)

18. Yes, the 1/2000 second top speed makes using an f 8 mirror lens easier in bright light. In addition to the Yashica I mentioned I suspect the same Cosina components make up the Nikon FM10, Olympus OM 2000, and several Vivitar models. I still see the FM 10 listed, but its price high for what you get. Minolta and Pentax never used the Cosina components, although if they had I guess we'd have the "SRT 2000 and K 2000" in film cameras. When the Ricoh (and its cousins were new) they were a less expensive, but usable alternative to the Pentax K1000 which was the classic photography class camera for countless years.

19. I believe that many of the mirror lenses allow for filters on the back of the lens, maybe 30.5mm.

That would allow for smaller, and hopefully cheaper, ND filters for the bright sun cases.

Or you can get the really big filters that fit on the front.

20. Wouldn't use the big filters (72mm or more), Glen, but when I had a Rokkor 250mm f5.6 it took 62mm filters of which I had plenty. I have a Cokin filter holder that lets my use square filters in front of my Tamron 500 mm f 8, but on my Nikon FE2 I have a top speed of 1/4000 second so no ND filters needed.
    BTW, anyone buying a used mirror lens be sure the 1A or UV filter is in place before you buy as it's needed as part of the optical path.