What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, May 26, 2017.

1. Nikon F6 with Tri-x. The built in spot meter is nice since I don't have to carry a separate spot meter.

2. I failed to mention that the T70 does offer a couple of program modes (which I've never used), one for wide-angle lenses and another for telephotos. Another great feature is the super-smooth electronic shutter release, which will allow the camera to make multiple exposures if held down, in a very leisurely fashion. I can't recall having ever used this function, either...

raghu_kuvempunagar likes this.
  3. Whenever possible I like to find a use for accessories that are no longer used. I found the "Compact Camera Stand" that was offered as an accessory for Kodak's Pocket Instamatic is a great support for the Olympus XA.
    upload_2018-3-24_21-22-36.jpeg

LMar likes this.
  4. That's probably enough, right there, to elevate it above average but I appreciate all the information. I'll have to check out the next one I see.

5. A camera that goes with me every week day as well as the weekend.
    upload_2018-3-27_19-50-48.jpeg
    no battery required
    Currently the Rollei B35 is enjoying a roll of Ilford FP4+

James Bryant, LMar and m42dave like this.
  6. I was dusting this odd little camera the other day and it occurred to me that I'd put only one film through it since I acquired it several years ago. I recall that I was quite impressed by the results, and made a mental note at the time to take it out again, but time passed and other projects intervened. Anyway, I've loaded it with some Kentmere 100 and, if the weather is kind, I'll put it through it's paces again this weekend.

Samoca 35 Super

Samoca Super 35 Pnet.jpg

7. I’ve been using Nikon FM exclusively for the past some time and it’s now time for some diversity! I’m thinking of either Canon EF (Black Beauty) or Canon T70 to go with Orwo N74. I’m also tempted to pick one of my TLRs up and shoot Ilford XP2 Super. Sun has been quite oppressive of late to venture out and I guess I’ll end up begging my daughters to pose for a few portraits!

davecaz and LMar like this.
  8. Friday promises to be sunny so maybe I'll have a few photo opportunities.
    May get this combination out again.
    upload_2018-3-29_5-4-41.jpeg
    Minolta SRT SCII with Tamron Adapta-Matic 105mm f2.5
    This heavy little lens was the ancestor of the later Tamron Adaptall of the same focal length and speed. FYI, the Adaptamatic mount is completely different from the Adaptall. It took a while to find one (Minolta SR mount) and because it is SR mount, I have to use stop down metering.

LMar likes this.
  9. It was a free and semi-broken T50 that reignited my interest in film cameras about 2 years ago. That camera essentially only had program mode and it wasn't long before I wanted something that provided more control. So I found a broken AE-1 Program, - also for free. I did get it to function but in spite spending lots of time in the guts of it and pouring over the service manual, I could never get the meter to give accurate readings. It came with a nice 50mm 1.4 so it was not a total loss by any means. I sold it for parts.

At this point I was hooked enough that I was willing to spend a little of my fun money on a working SLR but not much. What I really wanted was a fully functioning AE-1P but people asked real money for those, - well... $100 anyways. ;) So I bought a T70 for $35 shipped. Came with a box and everything.

I liked it for all the reasons you mentioned. Since then I have also picked up a bunch of other cameras for very little money including a Canonet QL 1.7 GIII for $10 and and an Elan II for $15. And those cameras showed me why the T70 doesn't generate as much interest as other "Classic" cameras or modern film cameras. Although the T70 has a motorized film advance and rewind, it's loud and slow. On the Elan II it was whisper quiet in comparison. The shutter on the Canonet was also very quiet and though the film advance was not motorized, it was a pleasure to use. The up-down buttons on the T70 were fine for setting something like ISO, but not so great for shutter speed since you have to hunt for the buttons while looking through the viewfinder. They don't work as well as a dial right under your fingertip or a big knob you can't miss.

And finally, there's the aesthetics. I know that seems unfair. The T-series were the first SLRs where Canon made no attempt to hide the plastic nature of them. But they still had the same blocky look of classic SLRs rather than creating something with smoother lines that the plastic made possible. So in a way the T70 is kind of like an awkward teenager. It fits in the transition period between classic manual cameras and modern film cameras.

Eventually I sold mine but I agree that if you want a no-fuss SLR with capable, reliable AE plus simple manual controls and easy to find batteries, it's a solid choice.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  10. Well put, Tom. And we shouldn't forget those flashy 1980's graphics plastered all over the front! As for the up-down buttons, my finger finds then quite naturally in their position right next to the shutter release, so I've never had a problem in that respect.

11. I couldn't resist the temptation and I grabbed my T70 for a quick shoot last evening. I liked it as much as my current favourite SLR, Nikon FM, though I sorely missed the film advance lever of the latter. :) The solid body though plastic and the firm grip are very helpful for handheld shooting.

12. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

I went out today for a 1 mile stroll through the surrounding neighborhood with my F2A. I shot a roll of Tri-X and expect I got some really nice shots of ornate front doors, weathered wood fences with some bizarre wood grain, as well as a few abstracts taken in a parking lot.

Tomorrow, I'll go out again with another F2A. This time, I'll shoot my first roll ever of T-Max 400. I want to see how it compares/contrasts with Tri-X.

Julio Fernandez likes this.
  13. Went down an old country road with the FM2n and shot about 1\2 a roll of Ektar. Never realized how much I passed by so many times before.
    After 2 days of rain the moss was like bright tufts of carpet around old curious looking roots clinging to the high clay banks.
    Funny how the lens focuses the mind's appreciation for the little things most often missed.
    Photobliss on the way home from work today.

davecaz and m42dave like this.
  14. I have an F2 Photomic loaded with Delta 3200 and an F2sb with some "original" TMZ(TMAX P3200). I shot a roll of "new" TMZ earlier this week out of another F2 Photomic.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get both the loaded rolls finished and all three developed.

BTW, this is my first time using the F2sb-I'm really enjoying it. Of course, it works just likes my F2AS but it's nice to be able to get open aperture metering with pre-AI lenses.

15. Just finished a roll of Acros 100 on my Yashica-D, and started HP5 in a Canonet QL17.... and now the clouds are back, and not expected to go for a while :-(

16. Yes, I'd say that "odd" is a fair description of that design. But it obviously works, because the results you posted in the weekly thread are excellent.

17. It seems the T70 has a number of fans, here. :) I can't say that the aesthetics of it appeal to me, but it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I have recently realized, though, that I do like the aesthetics of the original Maxxum 7000, now, as opposed to the 7000i. That's quite a change for me, because I originally disliked the 7000 and bought a 7000i as my first "real" camera. At the time, I liked the ultra-modern look of the 7000i. I recall thinking it was very "Darth Vader-ish". Now, I find the 7000i overly streamlined for my current tastes.

18. I had a T70 for a while, and really liked it.

I considered it sort of the next logical step after the A-1-multi-mode exposure, integrated film advance(and rewind), DX coding, and if I remember right you can use either CWA or partial metering.

In practice, the buttons-IMO-aren't as easy to use as the dial on the T90(If I'm not mistaken, the T90 was the first camera with this now ubiquitous feature) but once you get use to them they are easy enough to use.

I've never used a T60, but I have an FM10 so have some experience with the basic body. I've also never used a T80. The only T-series I have no use for, though, is the T50-it's far too limited.

19. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

Well, it turns out the Miranda DX-3 I picked up recently has a broken take-up spool, so that's the end of that. :( Not a big deal as I've been in the mood to thin the collection a bit and sell off some unused gear.

Might do some more shooting with the Sensorex, but it's looking like a cloudy weekend.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  20. With our extended weekend (Monday after Easter) I plan to take some shot with Minolta XE-5 with Rokkor 24-50 and HP5+.