What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by Mike Gammill, May 26, 2017.

1. While I am impatiently waiting for my Leica II to return from an overhaul, I pulled out the IIIF as a substitute. It is my first time to run color film through the camera in combination with the old uncoated Summar 50/2.0 (1934) - The lens works ok with B&W but the lack of contrast and the glowing highlight gives it a very distinct look that isn't equally great for all subjects.
    I loaded it with a roll of Kodak Ultra Max (400). The autumn foliage is the last chance of making the most of color film for the next 6 month.
    [​IMG]

Fiddlefye, cameragary, kklow and 4 others like this.
  2. I'm about to sell one of these Olympus OM-10's and I'll run a test film with the one I decide to part with. I'll retain the Manual Adapter as it transforms the OM-10 into a competent little camera.

Olympus OM-10s copy.jpg

3. Should be a great deal for the buyer, Rick. When my family had a camera shop the OM-10 was our best selling Olympus. We had an OM-1 and OM-2 in stock, but must of our customers didn't want to spend so much. When we closed the shop in 1993 we were out of Olympus cameras and had only the 50mm f 3.5 and 28mm f 3.5 Zuikos in stock. My dad gave me those lenses so I bought a use OM-G and later an OM-n to use with them. The OM-G, btw, is essentially an OM-10 with built in manual mode.

4. A Leica-meter MR arrived in the mail today and I’ll be checking its functionality over the weekend with HP5+ in the M2 camera and a Summaron 3.5cm lens.[​IMG]

Fiddlefye, cameragary, ] and 4 others like this.
  5. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

I have a ton of Ektachrome 100 to sell, but it's expired and I want to check if it's still good (mostly frozen since purchase), so I'm going to shoot a roll in a Nikon FE2 Saturday. Hope it turns out good!

NHSN and luis triguez like this.
  6. If you have it in the fridge, I don't think there is a problem. Leave it out for a couple of hours before using it

7. I always have a camera with me, even at church.
    image.jpeg
    Film is HP5+

8. Finally finished the roll in the Akarette...everything looks overexposed unfortunately.

shot some frames with a Kiev-88 with a 80mm f/2.8 Volna-3 lens

Fiddlefye likes this.
  9. The roll of Pan F in the Nikon F4 went by rather quickly so I'm going to have a bit of fun with this.
    _DSC4823.jpg

10. A well-used Olympus XA-2 has place in my jacket pocket. The 12x24 Pentax binoculars fit the other pocket.
    image.jpeg

11. My first SLR was a Nikon FE with a 35mm and a 105mm which I got in the early 80's.
    A few years later I sold the 105mm because I didn't use it much and could use the money for something else. I don't remember what, but I do remember the 105mm and have missed it since. That was the first of of many stupid sales of lenses I liked in order to fund something I thought I would like better.
    Now I don't sell any lens I own and like, regardless how little I use it.
    During the past week I finally picked up a 105mm 1:2.5 again, which in combination with my F3 will be my camera of choice for the weekend. There is hardly any autumn foliage left so I am back using black and white (HP5+).
    [​IMG]

12. The cat picture I posted today in Film Camera Week was taken with that lens. It is a good lens.

] and NHSN like this.
  13. I'd forgotten that I owned this odd SLR. It had been pushed to the back of a shelf and had remained hidden for at least 5 years, so I dusted it off and I'll run a film this weekend. The Argus/Cosina STL 1000 is an uncommon camera, but I recall writing about it for a CMC post some years ago, and being impressed by the performance of the 55/2.8 Cosinon lens. Matt Denton has a very well-researched article on his site, if anyone is interested in learning more about this camera.

Argus-Cosina STL 1000 - Matt's Classic Cameras

Argus Cosina STL1000 copy.jpg

Fiddlefye, kklow, cameragary and 3 others like this.
  14. Giving this one a workout over the next few days.
    upload_2021-11-17_20-24-5.jpeg
    In addition to the Rokkor PG pictured, I'll probably use two or three other lenses. Likely the film with be Ilford HP5+

mjferron, kklow, cameragary and 3 others like this.
  15. My Leica II finally returned from service, and I can't wait to take it out with film.
    This camera started out as Leica IA in 1929. At some point the owner decided to have it upgraded.
    These upgrades took place well into the 50's but this camera was upgraded already in early 1933.
    "Upgrade" is probably the wrong word because nothing from the original camera body is left except for the serial number.
    The only thing remaining from 1929 is the optical assembly of the Elmar lens. We know that because it is shorter than the standard Elmar produced in the 30's and it has no serial number.
    The Leica IA was "one unit" so its serial number was for both camera AND lens - when rebuilding an IA, Leica didn't assign a new SN for the lens but just left it unnumbered.
    The lens has stamped a "3" on the focusing tab. This indicates its true focal length is 48.6mm, which is the widest deviation from 50mm of the Elmars.
    [​IMG]

16. I've spent a hour trying to free up the sticky Prontor shutter on this Braun Paxette "Automatic", and if it's still working tomorrow morning I'll load some film and reacquaint myself with the rather nice Braun Color-Ennit lens.

Praun Paxette -Automaticc- copy.jpg

17. [​IMG]

Still have a roll of Pan F+ in the Kiev from 2 weeks ago. No plans or inspiration to fill it up yet.

The Volna-3b has been apart a few times, as I wasn't happy with the auto-stop down operation. I couldn't get it to run smoothly. I finally removed all the glass and dunked it in the Ultrasonic Cleaner.
    Works fine now. :)

18. Hi Rick, a quick question about 'deep cleaning' in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I have a few camera pieces which could probably do with a few minutes in the cleaner but what what solution / solvent to use.

I am wary of using water as the pieces may be hard to dry off with subsequent risk of corrosion. Or perhaps a water based
    cleaning solution and then rinse off in alcohol / methylated spirits to allow for quicker air drying?

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Martin

19. In this case it was mainly a build up of dirt between the aperture blades that caused too much friction for the auto-stop down spring to overcome.
    For the initial bath I used warm water with some detergent. repeated the process for the second bath and finally rinced it with demineralized water.

Dried it off as best I could and then used a hairdryer to blow out most of the remaining moisture. Left it on the central heating radiator to dry out fully.

Alcohol and spirits would work well as a degreaser/cleaner, but beware that it can attack some types of paint and plastics.