What camera does he use?

ruslan

I agree it looks like an Instamatic, but I think it's a Voigtländer Vitessa 500 AE (link to camera-wiki). A much better thing, with focus, and a Prontor shutter, and using proper 35mm film. The Instamatic look is helped along by having a flash-cube mounted on it, though the Vitessa 500 AE has a proper flash shoe. I don't know if such cubes existed... maybe this shoots down my identification.

I gather the clip is from the film Slogan, where Serge plays a successful advertising director; so he would be unlikely to be using any old rubbish.

As to what he's doing with the phone and camera, I think we need to remember it's a film, and he's acting. I think he might be fancifully 'photographing' the woman on the other end of the phone, and remembering all the good times. He should put his trendy 60s Perspex phone on Ebay (maybe the orange plastic stairs too) and get an iphone; then they could face-time like normal people.

• Like 1

I think Dustin has it right (check the shutter release on the top left of the body). Looks like there may have been a number of flash-cube-to-hot-shoe adapters available in the period (LINK), and, for the video, the flash cube would be much more interesting (contributing materially to the 60's look and feel) than other choices would have been. Overall the video does a good job as a period reference, which, even today, we might confuse with an Austin Powers-type sendup.
  • Like 1