What Black and White film would you like to see revived?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I shot a lot more Tri-X and Plus-X back when Panatomic X was still available, I wish Panatomic X were still available in 35mm casettes.

I can't imagine any circumstances under which it would still be commercially viable, unless made by the "actually existing" factories of the former Warsaw Pact.

• Like 1

Panatomic was a super fun film to shoot with. Drastically less finicky on processing than techpan although a pre-soak was mandatory given it's short development time. I always preferred Panatomic over Pan-F.

Verichrome Pan is another classic that's sorely missed. Incredible highlight structure that rides between chromogenics and classic B&W films while retaining the density range of the later.

Plus-X never amazed me preferring FP4 instead. Later gens of Plus-X pro were just diet Tmax 100, so be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

When I was younger, I would buy 100 foot rolls of ASA 40 Panatomic-X from Freestyle.

It was somehow different from regular FX, much more translucent.

I would develop it in Diafine at EI 160 or 250. (Depends on the box.)

No idea on the profitability of any film.

-- glen

Why don't you like Tech Pan. Aside from the slow speed I really like its look. I even bought a bunch of it just after they discontinued. Wouldn't you rather super fine grain in the regular TMAX speeds? Or are you looking for slow speed for some other reason?

What was Panatomic like? I never used it in my youth! In the 70s and 80s it was mostly Tri-X for me.

Why don't you like Tech Pan. Aside from the slow speed I really like its look. I even bought a bunch of it just after they discontinued. Wouldn't you rather super fine grain in the regular TMAX speeds? Or are you looking for slow speed for some other reason?

What was Panatomic like? I never used it in my youth! In the 70s and 80s it was mostly Tri-X for me.

I liked Tech Pan just fine, but as far as Kodak ever bringing it back, fat chance.

Yes, I would be fine with Pan X.

I like slower speeds for more open apertures without digging into my bag for ND filters. Better for fill flash, too

Edited by chuck909

As above, when I was young I liked Panatomic-X in Diafine.

At that time, I didn't understand the limitations of pushing, and the data sheets that I had didn't give push times like they do now.

Also, I didn't understand exposure latitude all that well.

But I did believe the Diafine explanation that it got extra speed from film.

So, I was happy with my Panatomic-X at EI 160 or 250, and also

Tri-X at 1200 or 1600.

I did a lot of 7th and 8th grade yearbook photography with those films and EI values,

available light in well-lit school classrooms.

(One wall of windows, and a lot of fluorescent lamps.)

EG03003.thumb.JPG.86c0a2e2fc88ddd6867a3f13c8c660a6.JPG

• Like 5

-- glen

A couple of years ago I would have thought it was impossible for any film to be revived, but I guess we've learned that isn't true. I'd sure like to see Kodak HIE revived personally, or at least a real deep infrared film. Trouble is digital infrared is a bit too good with converted sensors. Here's a Tech Pan shot. I'm shooting up some of the stuff I have left in the fridge. It's a pain to shoot a ISO 25 film, but it sure looks nice. This was taken with a Contax Aria SLR.

555858433_AriaTPanscan0029.thumb.jpg.f8592e88fea20c54bf1875003cdd37fd.jpg

• Like 1

I suppose APX25, it just sings like no other in Rodinal 1+50. I have a couple hundred rolls of it in 120 just like I do Tecdhpan so I am set really.

What I would *really* like to see come back is a 400 speed black and white film in 220 for my aerial fine art work. Delta 400 or Tmax 400 would really be sweet to have in 220.

• Like 2

FF2B914D-CD50-40AF-928D-A6EA7FC1390B.thumb.jpeg.a70bd3c52277009a9f7d4348083463ac.jpeg

A couple of years ago I would have thought it was impossible for any film to be revived, but I guess we've learned that isn't true. I'd sure like to see Kodak HIE revived personally, or at least a real deep infrared film. Trouble is digital infrared is a bit too good with converted sensors. Here's a Tech Pan shot. I'm shooting up some of the stuff I have left in the fridge. It's a pain to shoot a ISO 25 film, but it sure looks nice. This was taken with a Contax Aria SLR.

[ATTACH=full]1267766[/ATTACH]

The attached snaps were shot on Kodak HIE Infrared film.

• Like 1