What are your picks for the most beautiful SLRs?

JDMvW

As I said on another thread on why one collects, I think that the original prism

35mm SLR,the Contax S, is one of three cameras I would say are the most

beautiful SLRs ever made. It was made by Zeiss Ikon in the Russian occupied

zone,what became VEB Pentacon later.

The other two are the Asahi Pentax S2 and the Nikon F without the meter.

Of course, there were many later versions with essentially the same bodies, but

there's always something about the first of a kind, isn't there?

I'm curious to see what other collectors consider the "most beautiful" SLRs.<div>00MgL8-38711484.jpg.5420a8140c9b62cc08dba84f0ebabbf1.jpg</div>

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Agfaflex cameras are some of the most beautiful ever made, as are the Retina Reflex family of cameras. I currently have the Agfaflex IV with the removable mirror to turn it into a waist-level finder camera. To me this camera looks like camera art, and has such a high-quality feel to it, not to mention the very satisfying ker-chunk of the shutter when it's fired. I find Retinas to be beautiful in an ungainly sort of way. They don't have the sexy curves and lines of some slr cameras, but their design shouts top-notch engineering and durability. The Retinas I have are the Reflex III and IV models, along with the Instamatic Reflex (or Retina Instamatic as it's sometimes referred to). I have yet to foray into the Zeiss Ikon and Contax territory, but someday...<div>00MgON-38712184.jpg.7d1d1b437cc8133f0a2bf4f37a1a7501.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

Nice to see a mention for the RTL1000, one of my earliest SRLs, seen by many as something of an ugly duckling, though I liked it for its versatility. Since the original query was on the most beautiful SLR ever made, I'd argue that that necessarily must include later models than would be normal for this forum, so I'd have to mention the Contax RX as one of the finest I've ever handled, and lovely to look at, closely followed by the RTS. There's also something about the feel of the early Pentax Spotmatic and its sister cameras. I'm afraid I never thought the early Nikons were beautiful in any way, though their quality was never in doubt. I'd also add a mention for the Contaflex.

Thanks, all. I said SLR because there are truly some classic and beautiful RFs and others. I too like the Contax II, even in its Kiev rags.

I confess,too, that there are some named above that I never thought to see on such a list. Still, looking at some of them I can almost see why someone would choose them ;)