What are your favorite lenses- Canon EOS users...

a._j._jacobs

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

My 28-70mm/2.8L, it's an old one, but still my favourite. It's sharp, has very good contrast and excellent colors. And

even on my crop camera it has a good zoom range. It's on my camera all the time.

</p>

<p>

My 50mm/1.4, I used it a lot on film camera's, but on my crop camera it's a range I don't use very often. I will use it a lot

again when I go (back) to FF.

</p>

<p>

I used the 17-40mm/4L on a 5D, and I find it a very nice combination, because of the nice wide-angle range. Also used

the Sigma 12-24 on a crop body, which is a good lens as well and results in almost the same range ... it's a really nice

range to shoot with.

</p>

<p>

Played around with the 70-200mm/4 IS and the 70-200mm/2.8 IS, of which the latter is just a tank. They are really nice

lenses and I will get either some day soon. Also used the 24-105mm/4L IS, which is also a very nice lens, but I always

tend to miss the 2.8 when I have this one.

</p>

On my 5D, it's got to be the 70-200/2.8 IS, although the 24-105 sits on it most of the time.

On the 40D it would be the 300/4 IS (+/-1.4x), a combination that gives excellent length and resolution, but is still light and easily hand held.

On the 20D, it would be the 70-200/4, another nice and light combination, which gets used for most purposes. However, the 50/1.8 generally sits on that body.

Just throwing the camera in the bag: 50/1.8 (lightweight, fast, nice IQ)

I'm always having fun when using that lens.

Serious photography: 70-200/4L IS (handles like a dream, good reach, great IQ)

I always feel great when using this lens.

Both on a crop factor camera (400D) by the way.

On a 400D:

I use the 17-40 for landscape - a great all round lens for that purpose. Feels rugged. Great results. People often talk

about the benefits of having something wider but if anything I tend to want the opposite i.e. to have a longer range to

pick out details in a landscape.

I use Canon's 50 / 1.8 for people, mostly using natural light - It's noisy and feels like it will fall apart in your hands but

the combination of sharpness, weight and aperture means that it is astonishingly good value (I have a limited

budget!) ... I love the results and also love using a prime for people work as losing one thing to think about helps me

focus my mind on the subject.

Hi, Julian, if I may. I'm from Namibia and am following the different threads and the two lenses that you mentioned, namely,

17-40, f/4 and 50mm, f/1.8, are also on my list. I also want to include the 85mm, f/1.8 for outside portraits. I want to get the

Canon 40D as a starting body with the mentioned lenses to do weddings and general people photography.

I have had Minolta film equipment, but it's time to change to digital for me. What do you think of those lenses and their

coverage when one is on a thin budget, mainly because of our poor exchange rate to the US$ (8.00)?

Martijn, I had Tokina ATX-Pro lenses to go with the two Minolta bodies, which I sold. I still have the bodies, since the buyer

of the lenses have the new Sony bodies. I believe that Canon has very good equipment, especially lenses and that's why

I'm changing. Should I pay more and go for the 50D when it comes out?

On a 5D, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.2 indoors. I used the 24-105 for over 2 years, but I take better pictures with

the 24-70mm.

70-200mm f/2.8L IS outdoors when I want to lug it, 135mm f/2 when I don't. I mostly take "environmental portraits" of

my daughter.

For travel, the 17-40mm f/4L + 350D makes a very lightweight package that I like to grab-and-go with.