What are you reading these days?

It's Friday afternoon. I've caught up with my work for the week,

I've checked all the PN forums of interest and now I'm bored.

Thought I'd see what the forum members are reading these days, photo

bookwise.

Personally, I recently ordered 4-5 books on Paul Strand's work

through Amazon. When I went home at lunch today, "Paul Strand:

Essays on His Life and Work" was in the mailbox. I'm about to start

it in a few minutes since my office is pretty much deserted this

afternoon. What are you reading?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read and re-read 'the negative' and 'the print' as far as camera stuff is concerned.

for fiction, i have been reading haruki murakami: 'wind up bird chronicle', which restored my faith in modern literature, and now 'norwegian wood' and 'wild sheep chase' - i can't recommend him highly enough.

also finished in the last two months: 'vernon god little', 'the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime', 'geek love' and 'middlesex', all enjoyable.

I find that there's only so much one can read about photography. It's not something I feel that can be written about that much. <em>Talking</em> about it though, that's another story!

<br /><br />

Hope you enjoy the da Vinci code, Bob. Even if only 10% of it is factual it will make you think twice. ;-)

<br /><br />

I'm thinking of reading Cecil Beaton's Photobiography again. ATM I'm reading about IP chains in Linux.

Photo Book: Photo Nomad by David Douglas Duncan

Non-fiction: Leica, Witness to a Century

Political fiction: Clinton's autobiography

Science Ficton: Leica Lens Compendium by Erwin Puts

Children's Humor: photonet Leica forum

Beautiful. Yet another thread peed on by our own resident class

clown, Jay.

Weren't you banned? Didn't you learn anything? Oops! The

whole notion of "learning" admits the possibility of growth and

change, and an internet icon can't allow that, can he?

Oh yeah, reading material:

"Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides

Just borrowed from the local library Richard Whelan's biography of Stieglitz after watching the library's DVD copy of the American Masters program on that fascinating individual. Paul Strand, another interesting character, was part of Stieglitz's coterie of artists and photographers.

Also poring through a recently-acquired copy of "Bystander."

I have Eugene Richards' "Americans We" on my dining room table, open to a page at random, evryy few days I move on to another page.

In what we Canadians delicately call the "washroom" I have a small reading table.On it I have an old issue of Wallpaper magazine, a picture/text book on the Renaissance, and book from 1937 by William Mortensen, a Hollywood portraitist from that era. He's an incredibly intelligent and witty writer, and the portaits and explanations are quite lucid. I got it at a Goodwill store for $.75 last year. I look at one or the other of these about 1/2 hour per day, when "seated".

"Lisette Model", National Gallery of Canada. Great book, I would think it might be the best thing published on Model. Got the first copy of the MOMA series on Atget recently and I always have a history book on the go. Recently finished "The Search for Modern China" by Jonathan D. Spence and now wending my way through "The Columbia History of the World".

<<Yet another thread peed on by our own resident class clown, Jay.>>

It's a nice summer night Kevin...why not keep up the family tradition, grab a sixpack of Miller and take the family out for a joyride?