What are the six most important things you've learned from yopur participation in photo.net

1) There are a lot of very talented photographers i nthe world.

2.) Most nudes really are cliches about tits and ass, especially the ones that are in the "fine art" catagory

3.) ignore online trolls.

4.) photogrpahers in Eastern Europe are a very talented bunch.

5.) Raw is good.

6.) Don't trust anonymous raters as judges of anything.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Most people look for magic bullets to improve their photography. It's easier to buy a new camera or a new lens than to do real work.

2) Lighting will improve one's photos more than buying a new camera or a new lens.

3) Nikon is better than Canon.

4) The digerati feel obliged to pronounce, at every opportunity, that film is dead. Some of us shoot, and enjoy, both.

5) Most people do wayyyy too much editing in Photoshop.

6) The 'decisive moment' is dead. Just blast away at 10 fps and choose your favorite.

1) Be as specific as possible when answering questions

2) If you have to make assumptions to answer a question, clearly state those.

3) Don't try to make jokes when writing in a language that's not your own. (They're too often misunderstood).

4) When commenting on answers given by others, be extremly careful and as polite as possible, as some of those who answered are extremly picky when someone points out an error in that answer.

5) If you get an offensive comment after acting like in 4), be thickskinned enough to handle that, but as well, don't hesitate to use abuse@photo.net if things come too thick.

6) Have fun in (and with) the community.

1) Ellis is sometimes grumpy but almost always right.

<br>2) True originality is extraordinarily difficult to come by.

<br>3) It turns out that #2 is absolutely no excuse for boring photography (see Eastern Europe, per Ellis)

<br>4) Equipmement doesn't matter...

<br>5) ...except when it sure as hell does.

<br>6) Interacting with other photographers online can be hugely eye opening, but can also be a life-sucking,

yawning pit of a time-sponge that can keep you from a few more hours a week you should be spending behind your

camera, dammit... so, moderation in all things (except for aggessively deleting shots that should not have been

taken, where being more moderate means having to buy more disk space, too).

<br><br>

I think I need more than six things, Ellis! But it's actually very helpful to ask yourself what any given activity has

taught you in the past year of your life. Photo.net - more than anything else - is remarkable for the breadth and depth

of the personalities, talents, and interests that populate it. Regular exposure to that makes every day a chance for at

least six new things to digest.

<P>Why six? I can only count up to 5 (it's a digital thing).</P> <P>1) The www has become the most effective medium for information sharing for special-interest groups.</P> <P>2) Most people can be incredibly generous in sharing what they know.</P> <P> 3) Some people like to use the anonymity of the internet to be unpleasant in a way they couldn't get away with face-to-face.</P> <P> 4) There is really no agreement about what makes a good photograph. </P> <P> 5) Ditto good camera. </P>

1) " it's not the camera it's the photographer "

2) photographers really do have a sense of humor ( well, most do )

3) Ellis is no longer crabby

4) learning about HDR FOV DOF IQ DSLR FX DX ISO NEF HMC LCD IS VR PS CS3 and EXIF

5) imagination is limitless...just when you thought you've seen every conceivable landscape or flower

6) there are some very talented photographers that post here

1) Never say anything bad about Photo Shop.

2) More people use Zorki's than I thought.

3) There are a great deal of excellent Photographers on Photo.net

4) Don't compare such things as: Nikon vs Canon or Film vs Digital

5) I don't need a Computer to be a Photographer

6) Large Format photographers have super powers and are rarely wrong.

1. If Ellis or Bjørn answers a question, make a note of what E. or B. says. It's not only going to be right, it's likely to be important.

2. What you write on the web, stays on the web.

3. Photographs are made, not taken.

4. (Following Brian, above) People can be incredibly generous in sharing what they know.

5. Many people know things that are not true, and they're incredibly generous in sharing that also.

6. The photo rating system bothers those who participate very much. Fortunately, it keeps them participating.

1. My photography can always improve

2. There are always good people here, who really do want to help

3. Literally anything about photography can be degraded into idolatry

4. Diversity of opinion is not a bad thing

5. Those who continually upgrade and maintain this site are to be heartily commended

6. Those who regularly use this site to support their fragile egos by flaming others really do need therapy

1. Ellis is really a human being.

2. How to manage(sometimes) color space.

3. The fundamentals of sharpening.

4. That street photography is not my thing.

5. It has re-enforced my belief that equipment is a fetish. My mediocre pictures remain mediocre on high priced equipment.

6. That a lot of so-called experts who don't post bios or pictures and who don't pay dues post authoritative, and unsupported judgements as if they had the credibiltiy of those who do pay dues, post pictures and pay dues.

1 - That it is really wierd that a number of people have referred to Ellis in the female vernacular

2 - That, as a microcosm of society, the sharing on here gives me hope for society in general

3 - That, as a microcosm of society, the obnoxiousness of some on here takes some of that hope away.

4 - Money spent on equipment doeth not a good photograph make.

5 - Wedding photographers work under some incredibly demanding conditions, physical and human to boot.

6 - I'm not the only one who can read something in a manual and still not understand it, but when someone takes the time to relate it in a couple of sentences, it suddenly makes sense.

6-A - There's some insanely-smart people here (Bob A & Mark U. spring immediately to mind)

6-B - That EOSNotes Flash bible is weeeeeeelly confusing to this wabbit.

1. There are unreal numbers of Gorgeous Blondes in the world. Ditto Redheads.

2. Photoshop is Good. Velvia is Good. Arguments are time-consuming and wasteful.

3. No one can spell Ansell Adam's (sic).

4. HDR is only a Good Thing when you are unaware of its use.

5. Women take sexier pictures of women than men do.

6. No matter how good you are at things 'A' 'B' and 'C', what you really want to do is thing 'D'.

Sorry, I don't have time to think this one through . . . . I am busy:

1) Trying to decide which new camera to buy . . . I don't have time to tell you what I am going to do with it, but I still need your advice on which is best.

2) I am worried because a friend talked me into photographing her wedding because she likes the pictures that I take with my old InstaMatic. Now, I can't figure out how to use my brand new flash with my new body and the new lense that I bought. BTW: The lens is an Russian 10-200f5.6-8. Do you think that this will be good enough or should I run out tonight and buy a 50mmf1.0 to go along with it? Did I mention that the wedding is tomorrow?

3) I would like to assist a wedding photographer in the middle of nowhere. I think that I can do a good job because I take nice pictures with my Sony Mavica.

4) Why don't I get any comments on my photographs?

5) Could I get some legal advice? About copyright? Or, maybe contract law?

6) Can someone tell me what I did wrong with shot . . . I know that the scan is not very good, but does the exposure look right?

Oh . . . there is a seventh thing that I have learned in my years at photo.net: Always keep your tongue planted firmly in your cheek . . .

Ed

1. It not the camera that's getting the shot wrong, its me

2. A Lot of good photographers are on photo.net (hope to be one, one day)

3. The photography business is more business then photography

4. The glass is more important then the body in most cases

5. I should delete my bad shots and keep the good ones. ( I have a hard time with this one and can not do it. I feel its worth the $$ for more hard drives :) )

1. Technique ruins artistry.

2. Every photo is perfect as is because art is just a matter of interpretation.

3. Art is anything you say it is.

4. There is no difference between "2-dimensional" and "3-dimensional" since a photo is capturing reality.

5. Originality 6, Aesthetics 6 is really just a way to say "hi."

6. "I want a critique" means "I want attention."

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

1. The internet (and thereby PN) is full of misnomers, errors and mis-information

2. The internet (and PN) needs to be filtered by the user

3. Many PN users are FAR too hung up on lenses & pixel peeping

4. The people who say 'the eye is the most important thing' are most likely those with poor technique

5. There are many, many grumpy people here (including me)

6. I would not have PN any other way...