What are the Bar Mitzvah key shots??

vladimir_druts

Yeah, you very well may not be able to shoot the ceremony itself - in which case I

recommend a portrait in the temple before or after, with the Torah. You can even set it up at

the reading table - not so stagey as to think you're recreating the event but you know what I

mean - an environmental portrait with the text. And the party - there are lots of dancing

shots to be had of course, the cake, toasts...

A Bar Mitzvah is a male who is reading from the Torah as part of the service for the first time; it is not a ceremony. If the service is being held on the Sabbath (usually Saturday morning) you generally can not take photographs during the service. In theory, you should not be permitted to take photographs before or after the service either, but in many Synagogues you can. If you can then you can do the Bemah shot in the day of the service. Other wise you have to do it another time. Doing it a few days before the party give you some time to make a print of the shot and put it on the place card table, or make a sign in board with it. I did the Torah shot below of my son during his final rehersal.

During the party standard events are: Entrance into the room by the Bar Mitzvah and his family, prayer over the wine, cutting the challah, candle lighting, toast, Horrah followed by every member of the immediate family being lifted in chairs and a Coke and Pepsi game. Depending on how extravagant the party is there may be all sorts of entertainment and activities for the kids. It's not all that uncommon to have the kids "coctail hour" in a different area than the adults. The Bat Mitzvah I shot last night had the kids and adults in separate rooms the whole night.

You need to find ot from the parents if you're shooting a simple lunch or something out of "If I Ran the Circus".<div>00MwQh-39119984.jpg.fe08ef281ecb9ad3b8b9c12e0dfe2c1e.jpg</div>

All of the above but also most importantly make sure you get plenty of pictures of the "nachas" (unmitigated pleasure) on the faces of the parents and grandparents with the boy himself.

The photographer who did mine 30 years ago forgot this simple rule and my parents have never forgiven him. It's as much about the family (especially the boy's mother) as the boy.

Regards

If you've never shot one or are not familiar with this service be most honest and let the parents know and ask them for the must shots during the formals. A written list so nothing is missed. Usually the Rabbi will take control for a portion so perhaps ask him/her as well.

At the reception it's usually a must to photograph all of the adult tables, photograph the room before people enter it. You can ask the DJ to help photograph the kids when they are playing games on the dance floor. There may be a candle lighting, if so take more than 1 shot, 2 or 3 depending on how many are asked to come up. It's a serious problem if you only get 1 shot and someone blinks!

Do not touch the Torah with your hands. Actually, let the Rabbi do all of this.

For lighting I usually bring a portable lighting system for the temple shots, so you can create almost a studio effect of professional lighting. I'm not sure how Bruce shot the above pic. It is excellent! Any client would be thrilled with these.