• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderator Note: Image removed.

It appears as a photograph you did not make yourself and this contravenes the Terms of Use and User Guidelines to which you agreed when you joined Photonet.

A link to the Terms of Use is at the bottom of most if not all pages on the Site.

Edited by William Michael

Just about every photo ever used in advertising? Ever gotten a burger that looks as good as the one on the ad?

Well said, Dieter. My haircuttery has a framed photo on a wall. The first time I looked at it, I thought it displayed a tender scene involving mother and child, well done in b&w. On the second occasion, when I saw the blurb for Paul Mitchell shampoo, I quickly changed my mind.

Just about every photo ever used in advertising? Ever gotten a burger that looks as good as the one on the ad?

McDreck takes the prize home. Reality is a dried up sandwich that looks like it was assembled on the counter by someone standing on an 8' stepladder.

Second place goes to the Dead Lobster/Olive Garbage chain of feederies. Their ads make me want to run to the car at 3AM. The plate at the restaurant makes me want to choke some sense into the fry cook... :eek:

The worst offenders of all time? Nothing to do with food, but in a metaphoric way feeding off hopes. Those hair replacement ads for men, and the 'skin creams' for women. Bring back the whipping post in the public square. :)

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Photos which are physically altered to enhance a political point of view are arguably the most egregious, and they are legion. Distortion can be much more subtle, even unintentional.

If you pick a particular place to stand, choose a certain lens, set a particular aperture or shutter speed, are you not altering reality? Representing a time thread with a still photograph is probably the ultimate distortion. The greater question is whether the intent is to deceive the viewer or enhance his enjoyment or appreciation. I like to shoot landscapes, and try to establish a sense of place and proportion. My distortion is clearly intentional. I recall an altered photo showing George H Bush walking hand in hand with Queen Elizabeth. The photo was in fun and labeled as such, otherwise the reaction would be greatly different in the US (odd, humorous) or the UK, where it would be a serious breach of protocol.

News photography is particularly distorted. If you want to show a protest, for example, you move close with a wide angle lens (or cell phone) to emphasis people in the foreground, relegating others to a distant background. If you want to show a seething mass, you use a long lens from a distance, and crop out the stragglers. A wide angle lens from a modest distance thins the crowd, and diminishes its importance.

The same principles apply to words as well. When listening to politicians or hucksters (if there is a difference), you must consider what is not said with equal weight to the actual content. When the same content is discussed by the media, everybody "hears" or "sees" something different, to the extent you can't believe they're discussing the same event.

That was one thing about the late, lamented German Democratic Republic, everything was just what it seemed. ::rolleyes:

Here is the cover of "Rich Selection", an internal sales brochure from ca. 1955:

ra.jpg.fbad2ae9876c0ad5871c79b07973c984.jpg

Can you imagine, ostalgie has become so embedded, that some people actually collect all those cameras!

RA-collection.thumb.jpg.ea756d68b6d45d13b2b23a4ae5d64417.jpg

Appreciation (financial) is not usually a problem. Most of them ten years or so on are still worth just as little as I paid for them, or less.

Those PCP smoking ad gurus have definitely 'nudged' me away from ever buying anything with the H/K brand on it. I thought that company died a natural death in the 70s, and came back to life as an overpriced producer of cheaply made Chinese PC speakers in the 90s. This ad may explain a lot--someone else can wax philosophically on the matter... :confused:

"I See Things..."

Well said, Dieter. My haircuttery has a framed photo on a wall. The first time I looked at it, I thought it displayed a tender scene involving mother and child, well done in b&w. On the second occasion, when I saw the blurb for Paul Mitchell shampoo, I quickly changed my mind.

McDreck - - hmmm, a new buzzword for we despairs of fast food joints!

If the photos are misleading, does that mean that the photographer's intention was to mislead?

No.

What's misleading is to equate Adams' ethics with those of Riefenstahl.

Actually, what's misleading, if not downright intellectually dishonest and despicable, is to suggest that giving two examples of something is equating those two things.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Is it 'egregious' or is it 'misleading', or is it really 'disingenuous'? Then we have the problem of defining what 'is' is.

And now for your entertainment, a musical interlude by Slick Willie and the Closet Girls...

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

If the photos are misleading, does that mean that the photographer's intention was to mislead? From what I've read it doesn't seem that Adams was out to mislead as he himself opposed to the existence of the camps.

"He keenly felt the injustice of the exclusion order against the Japanese Americans. When told he could not photograph the guard towers, Adams took photographs from the towers, giving away their existence"

Ansel Adams Gallery - Manzanar National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

What's misleading is to equate Adams' ethics with those of Riefenstahl.

I would say so. Adams was a personal friend of the Manzinar Camp director, who asked him to make the photographs, ostensibly to portray a life-isn't-so-bad situation of smiling and obedient prisoners. In his book, Born Free and Equal, he had an agenda, as naive as it was, regarding how the imprisoned (without due process) United States citizens (of Japanese ancestry) and Japanese citizens (legally in the United States) should better socialize with the rest of the US after the war. In the same book, Adams did feel that the imprisonment was an injustice, but in the end was necessary. Adams was a fine landscape photographer and teacher, but a lousy social documentary photographer/writer.

Though it doesn't speak to intentions, compare his photos with Dorothea's Lange's, which were quarantined by the government for decades, The difference is telling.

Edited by Brad_
  • Like 2
www.citysnaps.net

"After Weston and Strand, Adams probably admired Lange more than any of his other approximate contemporaries, and she, in her grudging, qualifying way, admired him. But it seems clear that they did not understand each other. Lange harshly criticized Adams' book
Born Free and Equal
, on life in the World War II "Japanese" relocation camp at Manzanar. She felt that Adams' pictures seemed to gloss over the injustice that had been done. This criticism seems to me to miss the point.

[
line break added
] Adams' idea was to show that the Issei and Nisei, in spite of the injustices that they had suffered, had maintained their cohesion, their dignity, and their will. This seems to me a wholly admirable ambition — perhaps even preferable to that of those who were willing to photograph the people of the camps merely as victims. The problem was not Adams' moral stance but his pictures, which — like his portraits even of his close friends — were generally wooden and opaque." —
John Szarkowski