What are remote/cable shutter release options for a 40D?

dan_hall4

I have a 40D and am interested in getting a remote/cable shutter release. I

have only seen the cable type on some DSLR's that physically connect to the

camera. I have heard that there are remote controls that do the same thing.

That would be preferrable. I have a 100-400 coming and heard to test it

properly to be sure it is not a "soft" lens, I need to use a shutter release

and engage the mirror lock. It would be an accessory I would want for other

uses as well but now sounds like a good time to buy it. What do you suggest?

Dan, the corded releases come plain, simply a button on the end of a meter long cord, or with self timer, intervalometer settings etc. Either of these relieves things like shaking the camera when on tripod, etc.

To be "radio" cordless remote requires the LC 5 which runs $400. There are numberous aftermarket radio remotes which if you search this site, you will find many experienced comments both positive and negative.

If you want to use the "shutter release and engage the mirror lock" to stop any camera shake, any of the corded ones will do fine.

Another possibility is that you can trigger the camera from your computer if you shoot tethered with the USB cable, and you don't need to buy anything at all.

There are cheap copies of the Canon wired remote being offered on eBay. The one I have seems to work well. I think they have the same for Canon's radio trigger as well. But if anyone is seriously in to saving pennies, you should check out this one.

http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=CableRelease

It works on just about all cameras, including point & shoots, Holgas, D40, 40D, what ever.

Jim

That is pretty slick but differs from the one I am looking at now on B&H. It is the one that Mark suggest above. Just to clarify, on the model listed below, I just hook it up the my 40D and it becomes the shutter release. I push the button on the end of the three foot cable just as I would the shutter release on the camera. Correct? Here is what I am thinking of buying (thanks Mark).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164276-REG/Canon_2476A001_Remote_Switch_RS_80N3.html

Yep, that's the usual cord. It's about $50 plus shipping. If you do a search on eBay for "Canon Remote Cord" you will find Chinese copies for under $10, and wireless ones for about $60, shipped. Without doubt, the Canon versions are better products, but the eBay versions do seem to work.