What are people using for infrared film these days?

Last week I shot Rollei Retro 80 S behind a IR720 filter at E.I. = 2 and got good infrared results.

Next film test was Rollei Infrared 400 behind the same IR720 filter at E.I. = 6 and the infrared results were just as good but not as fine grained.

Development in Xtol replenished for both films.

• Like 1

I have had fairly good results using Rollei Infrared 400/27° with either a 25A red or R72 opaque filter. I think the R72 gives better results, and as I use a Leica M, you don't have viewfinder problems with an opaque filter. Because of health issues I can no longer do any of my own processing, so I'm at the mercy of mail-in labs, like The Darkroom. Here's a shot I took of the Manhattan skyline upriver toward the GWB. 000481710014.thumb.jpg.ac9f34481f78d17fd1a9cb7fd54c4936.jpg

Rollei IR and Superpan 200 (the same film, really about 150 ISO) is pretty good. Rollei Retro 80, Rollei RPX25 and Adox HR50 are all the same film, have a similar IR response to Rollei IR, and are about 50 ISO. All of these show the Wood effect with an R72 filter.

Ilford SFX200 and JCH Streetpan also respond to IR, but I haven't tried them.

I still have several rolls of Kodak False-color Infrared, but I gave some to a participant here and his efforts to shoot it proved it was "really, truly dead".

I think the best way to do IR these days is to get an older digital and convert it for IR shooting.

For example, I have a Kodak Professional DCS 560 (based on the Canon EOS1n) that will do IR directly. Because of difficulties in batteries, etc., I would not recommend that particular model, however.

DCS-560-Hoya-R72-5892-a.jpg.0913349eeb563539baf384f23eb59c26.jpg

Decent older digital cameras can be converted however, if that's what you want.

There are some DIY instructions out there for conversion to IR- Do It Yourself Digital Infrared Camera Modification Tutorials

If you're not brave enough, others will do it for you at a price:Infrared Conversions Archives - Kolari Vision

For many years we had nice films like high-speed infrared, due to its use by spies and for aerial photography.

HIE goes out to about 930nm.

Films like Rollei only to about 750nm.

If we believe that the visible spectrum goes to 700nm, like is usually said

(and is probably reasonable) that doesn't sound so good, but most panchromatic

films only go to about 650nm.

I also have some 5R flashbulbs to use with IR film ... someday.

-- glen