What are Copal lenses?

steven_n

LF lenses with shutter use a between the lens shutter located in the middle of the lens near the aperture. Today the most common brand is Copal which comes in the three sizes that you list. In the past there were many brands. A few decades ago Compur was the most common brand.

Lenses with larger apertures (e.g., longer focal length or faster) need larger shutters -- hence the several sizes. This link gives the iris diameter and also the lensboard hole sizes: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm. Usually you can buy lensboards with holes pre-drilled for the standard size shutters. So the main thing you need to know is which shutter your lens has. This is easy as the size is written on the shutter.

If you buy an shutter that is unusual for today, you make or may have made a custom hole in your lensboard.

I don't think they're still making the #00, are they?

And while we're talking about different sizes of shutters, let's not forget those old Ilex/Betax/Alphax No. 4 and 5 monsters. I've never experienced a #5 shutter, but I've got a nice lens in a #4.

As an aside, were those various names really different companies making competing shutters, or marketing divisions? Inquiring minds and all that...