What about Event Work?

fotografz

I'm sick of nothing but wedding photos and questions. What about Event work? This is the

Wedding AND Event site.

Any of you do event jobs? I'd like to hear experiences both creative and business related.

I get some, but I sometimes think it would be cool to get more of this kind of work.

Here's a shot taken at my own Christmas Party. I bartered with my pal Irakly to shoot it as

an event job. I always have entertainment there, and this time it was a drunken, lecherous

Santa (not a real one, an actor) and a Miss Christmas designed to cause difficulty between

married couples when the husbands got a load of Santa's little helper (evil me ; -).<div>0083vi-17703284.jpg.c62e9ab8b173cfe6be9b64924a7dbc61.jpg</div>

Here's Miss Christmas. Husbands were lined up around the block to get their photo taken

with her. I would have liked to been a fly on the wall later when the wives let loose.

Irakly got lots of requests for prints from this event job... but mostly from the single folks

: -)<div>0083vq-17703384.jpg.dc88c430fc1d8aa559f45a360a56804d.jpg</div>

More recently, I've been doing "real" event work. These are high school reunions where we shoot, print on location and create memory books. Lugging all the gear to do the printing and having to take saleable pictures and make money, they are more of a grind. "Next group!" "Sit on the pony!" "Smile at the birdey!"<div>0083xd-17703984.jpg.071aad6c1e13fcc6c0a8a31b80638cb4.jpg</div>

Aside from weddings, I do a brisk business with coporate event work in D.C. Altough it is good business, the images tend to be "grip and grin" between the guests and politicians, sports stars, etc. While I take some time to catch the artistic candids, it is the grip and grin shots that sell. The same can be said for sorority events and proms, which I quit doing a while ago. Nevertheless, my favorite thing is to show up a bit early, just after the decorations and lighting is set, and use a wide lens with ambient light to capture the whole room. I have a nice collection since many events are held at the Capitol's committee rooms and museums.

Sometimes events can be fun.

I often shoot events for the local university.

Usually they are for prize givings or end of workshop presentations.

This was from a Robot Wars workshop they did. The kids got to have a

go with Razor the world champion robot.

Often they can be tedious but this one was fun.

M.<div>00883F-17828284.thumb.jpg.58767fca10afb189362aa679f16be5a1.jpg</div>