What A-S compatible plate do you use for a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Hector Javkin, Aug 23, 2018.

1. I ordered a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and will need to test it fairly soon. If you have one of these, and use an A-S compatible head clamp on it, what plate do you attach to the foot? It seems that neither Kirk nor RRS make custom plates for it. My A-S tripod head has a non-removable clamp. I will be grateful for any suggestions.

2. The best approach is a replacement foot (and ring, if possible). Short of that, RRS and Kirk make long plates with a lip on one short side and an elongated slot for the screw. I use them on several lenses (and Hasselblad cameras). They aren't theoretically as solid as a fitted plate, but in practice they stay tight and don't twist.

3. Thank you. It seems that the long plates are all that KIrk and RRS offer. I haven't seen a replacement foot, or the complete collar and foot with the A-S compatible channel.

4. I replaced the entire ring and foot assembly on a Nikon 400/4 AF-S. The original was worse than useless. Higher-end zooms often have an easily removable foot, which is an opportunity for RRS or Kirk to step up to the plate (pun intended). There's nothing wrong with an add-on plate, other than bulk.

5. I did the same on a Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S. Years later, when I bought a used Nikon 80-400mm, the collar and ring were missing. That not only saved me something on the purchase price, but also the need to test for stability before buying a Kirk replacement. I hope Sigma has done better on the lens scheduled to arrive at my house today.