What a day...

Dear Jeff:

I just got into 4x5 myself and let me tell you... it is a trip with no return. Secure your socks, because they will come off the first time that you see a 4x5 negative out of the tank !

I have a method for developing these big negatives, it uses a Unicolor 8x10 paper drum and the motor and I can do 4 at a time with super even development. Works like a charm. Drop me a line for more details if you wish.

I have used Freestyle's "el cheapo" 4x5 film, quite disappointing, low contrast. Better spend the money and use TMX100, it is so much better all things considered. Ilford FP4 is really good also.

Finally, please post your first photo. I am eager to see what your camera can do. Let me tell you, 35mm format will look like a toy format after you have done these large negatives.

Congratulations.

Hi Diwan,

I know what you mean. I've done a little bit of Kodak Ektachrome in the 2x3 Crown Graphic and Zeca and am astonished by the quality.

I'll probably have a lot more to say about this once it shows up at my door. Until then, I'll still have this stupid grin on my face...

I use a Paterson 10 x 8 print developing tank. This takes 4 4 x 5 films and thereafter you can work in daylight. The bottom of the tank has a few blobs of hot melt glue on it to stop the films sticking.

Nick