What 3rd Party Lenses Work On Film Bodies

coneected

<p>I have a Canon EOS A5/A2e film body and want to buy a new lens to fit this body. I have been looking at prime lenses from 3rd party vendors like Tokina and Tamron. My question is this: Will a Tokina 35mm f2.8 Pro DX Macro Lens or a Tokina 100mm f2.8 Pro D Macro Lens work in autofocus mode when placed on a Canon EOS A5/A2e Body?</p>

<p>Any Tokina lens marked "DX" is intended for crop-frame DSLRs. You would be able to mount it on a full-frame (including film SLRs) camera, but the image probably won't fill the frame.</p>

<p>The D lenses, such as the 100mm macro, are full-frame lenses. They <em>should</em> be fully compatible with EOS film cameras, but I don't know if third-party lens makers still test their lenses on old cameras like the A2e that have been out of production for more than a decade. I'm not sure how long the Tokina 100mm macro has been around. I have one, and it's a fine lens (if a bit slow to focus compared to Canon's USM models), but I've never tried it on a film camera.</p>

<p>Go to the individual maker's websites to check their nomenclature. Tamron uses "Di" to mean "Digitally Integrated", but they work with all frame sizes (Full frame digital/35mm, APS-H, APS-C). Tamron's "Di-II" lenses are exclusively for the APS-C frame DSLRs, so you'd want to avoid them with your A5/A2E. But for older lenses, this may not apply...</p>

<p>So far as I know, all EF lenses (but no EF-S lenses) will work just fine on the <a href="00Wrxy">EOS 5/A2e</a>. I have used newer lenses like the EF 24-105mm IS L lens on a number of old EOS cameras going back to the first ones, the 650 and the 620. No problems at all on the EF lenses or, for that matter, on Sigma and Tamron full-frame lenses.</p>

<p>In fact, many of the APS-C non-Canon lenses such as those from Sigma will mount and work fine on film EOS camera, but they will vignette and won't cover the whole negative image, as pointed out.</p>