What’s your choice for a camera in your pocket?

I know the answer to this question is probably your smartphone. And it IS the camera you have with you almost all of the time. But assuming you want something more substantial, with some creative control, but you still want to fit it in your pocket without having a giant pocket or without it being so heavy it weighs down one side of your body. ;)

I will also say for me, I want metering and focusing that doesn’t require I guess. Also for me, I’d look for a digitial, just for the easier workflow of getting it on the computer without an hour or two developing and an evening scanning all the negatives in. But by all means feel free to submit film cameras as well.

What would be your pick?

Sorry, I have no answer.

I never used anything smart device worth mentioning beyond "it runs a light meter app and works as an e-book reader".

Besides my best efforts to keep pockets shut, cameras tend to fall out of them and apart, due to that. For that reason I only spend less than 50€ on such devices without proper strap lugs.

I don't mind sinking a Leica M or a mid sized DSLR in my everyday anywhere backpack and use the P&Ss I have sometimes as memory crutch / communications support camera, without any artistic ambitions.

There might be decent stuff out by now, but I can't afford to care about it and also treasure the peace of mind that less complicated camera choices grant.

Lots of good choices. I'd probably choose an RX100, either V or VI.

There is the HX95 and HX99, although those have mobile phone sensors in them. So... maybe give those a miss, unless you don't need the quality of a larger sensor. The images from phone sensors don't hold up in big prints, but they're perfectly fine for the web.

Canon S120 is the most pocketable that I have. I also have a Canon G12 and Fuji X100T.

If I want zoom capability, I'll take either of the Canons. Otherwise I take the Fuji unless my pockets are too small.

I keep on thinking about a Canon G7X, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am a point-and-shoot junkie!

Some good options here. I've looked up some of these and it's sometimes hard to determine if they have an aperture priority mode (for instance the Canon G9X mk II doesn't list it under exposure controls). I've considered Fujis but they generally tend to be a bit bigger, but maybe that's still small enough. And they have a lot of enthusiastic users.

There are really 2 use cases I at least have on my mind. This is the "not taking a camera, but I should take something in my pocket just in case" use case. Then there's the "I'm too old to carry my current cameras anymore" use case. I've already had to stop carrying cameras like the Canon 5D or the Contax RTS III because they're monsters and their lenses are heavy too. I'm down to smaller cameras like the Leica Ms which I can carry. Eventually though maybe something like these cameras might be all I can carry along in a few years. If that happens, then my budget has to go up and the camera I'm looking for has to be more capable. Note that I discovered Black Rapid straps to carry cameras to my hip and Cotton Carrier straps which lock the camera on your hip with belt support. Those help with use case 2 but even the Cotton Carrier limits me carrying a big camera to about an hour.

The last time I tried to do this (in the film days) I tried a lot of things (like Minox 35GTs and Rolleis and Contax T2, and Minolta 7sIIs, etc.). Ultimately they were great machines but just too fiddly to use. I ultimately settled on the [old film] Leica CL. That had full creative control, a good light meter, even lens compatibility with the Leica Ms (though it came with a 40mm lens which I tended to use on it). Then mercury batteries went away and I tried a bunch of substitutes. I still have that camera but the meter needs actual repair now (always a trouble area in the CLs I think) and even if I repair it, I'm not shooting as much film. This was great for use case 1 but maybe borderline for use case 2 in the film days.

In this post, I'm thinking primarily of use case 1 but some of the posts above have reminded me of use case 2 (where you say that it's all you use now). I'm not sure I'm ready for that, but that is good to hear.

The Sony RX100's have been suggested before (and above) and I like that camera. I've also looked at the RX1's which are much more expensive and maybe not as user friendly (though likely with better image quality so maybe better for use case 2?). I have a Nex-7 already and though the lens I got with it isn't great, and though the EVF is not the greatest either, I suspect I could just adapt one of my existing small lenses (maybe even the Leica 40 from the CL) to keep it small. Not a modern camera but probably not a bad pocket camera. Or maybe even the modern version of the Nex, the Sony 6500 with a new small 25-30 lens might be an option for either use case? The 6500 is reported to have great low light performance and in body image stabilization (since I seldom can carry tripods anymore either).

I've looked at the Leica options as well, but it's tough to find anything from Leica much smaller or lighter than the Ms. Even cameras like the new CL and the T and the Q are all pretty big (and super expensive). I might as well carry around an M9 which isn't that big but it's quite heavy. Not relative to the Canon 5D but I still have to use it on a Black Rapid strap to reduce the apparent weight.

At the moment, the RX100 (of some mark) is probably the leading contender. There used to be a lot more competition for the small pocket camera, but I think cell phone cameras have taken a lot of the air out of the sails of small pocket cameras since cell phones are so good these days.

• Like 1

For years a Kodak Retina IIa was my only camera. The size was right but the weight and the sharp corners meant it was usually slung around m neck. Now my phone has largely taken its place (although my "good camera" is a Sigma DP1s}. I'm drooling over e Leia CL but am too old and too poor to actually buy one. Life is trough.
  • Like 2

1466655148_pentaxwg2.thumb.jpg.f0c4139a65dd34ee4695dca974dd8fef.jpg

When kayaking or canoeing I often bring along my Pentax WG2 waterproof camera in my life vest pocket, attached with a short lanyard. It is small and light and I can pull it out and operate it with one hand while holding my paddle with the other hand. I also own an Olympus TG4, which is a better camera overall, but larger than the Pentax and, I find, harder to use one-handed. I have not had the experience of tholte of the front ring falling off, but after reading his post, I checked to make sure that it was tight.

• Like 3

In my old age (80 years young) I have taken to wearing cargo pants. The many pockets are handy and I keep all sorts of stuff in them. Several years ago I researched small pocket cameras handy for travel. I stumbled on a Panasonic DMC-ZS40. A pocket size digital with GPS and super duper zoom range equivalent to 24mm thru 720mm. It’s 18.1 megapixel and high sensitivity makes it my ideal travel camera.

After my first trip to Europe with it, I bought another to keep as a spare. I keep it in one of my cargo pockets. Sometimes when I get dressed for a more formal look, I pocket a tinier Nikon Coolpix X6300 (no GPS which is a must for me when I travel).

Panasonic discontinued the ZS40 and subsequently replaced it, several models supersede but none have GPS so I stick to the ZS-40.

If those guys will listen, the ideal travel pocket camera would be an update of the ZS-40, perhaps a little smaller keeping the 30X zoom range. Ideally, it would be powered by two or three AA batteries. You could keep a few in your cargo pockets so you can quickly re-charge as the AA battery is sold everywhere.

Should both my ZS-40 bite the dust, I would hunt for a replacement. Likely it would be a refurbished duplicate.

• Like 3

I very much enjoy your posts, Mr. Marcus. In advanced years I have taken to wearing what are laughingly called jogging trousers. Just a cautionary tale, with a camera in each pocket the whole ensemble descended earthwards to the amusement of the masses . I had the terrible dilemma of whether to check the cameras or try to retrieve my dignity. For those like Mr. Dragon, still determined to carry a camera this way, please wear a belt. As the OP already has a Nex 7 can I say that I love how this camera works with the Sigma 35 1.4, just like a Leica. All the best, Charles.
  • Like 1

These days I carry a Canon Elph 180 which is super small and can fit in a shirt pocket. I feel I can control this camera better than I can my iPhone. It also has a higher megapixel count. I also use a 13 year old Panasonic DMC TZ5 which is a little bigger, gives you a wider focal length and can be attached to your belt via leather case.

If you do go down the route of a Sony RX100 I would look at a brand new dealer mark 111 at about £429, have a look at the saving on a new mark V1. If my original version packed up I would replace it in a heartbeat it is that much use for me. Buying a cheap Chinese grip and bracket transformed the camera so it feels secure even in my large hands, The make I bought is Hao but the names seem to change. Please let us know what you decide, all the best, Charles.