I'm going to be in West Virginia for a week in mid-December. I can go

anywhere in the State and have no fixed agenda or times. The trip has

purposes other than photography so I can't spend a lot of time hiking

or searching out photography sites. I'd appreciate any suggestions

for general areas or specific locations particularly good for

landscape and/or older architecture type photography. I do only black

and white so colors, if there are any in mid-December, aren't

important. Thanks

I have traveled extensively in WV to shoot,my favorite area is the Pochahontas region of SW WV.The area between Bluefield & Williamson (route 52)was a booming area up untill the 1970's when the coal business here died for a variety of factors.McDowell county had 100,000 ppl then,today roughly 20,000 survive here.There is much old infrastructure,ghost towns of abandoned stores & houses.In Bramwell,WV is a major pocket of restored victorian homes that were owned by wealthy mine owners etc back in the day.The Norfolk Southern RR runs along the Rt52 corridor also.This is rugged mountain railroading,many tunnels & bridges etc.The landcape resembles a model RR in many ways!

Brian,

I was just shooting in WV last week with my 4x5. If you're in the northern part of the state, you should try to stop by Cooper's Rock State Forest. It's just east of Morgantown on 68.

There's an incredible view of the Cheat River Valley, but the real photographic opportunity is in the rock formations just below the overlook. It's quite spectacular - reminds me of the photos I've seen of the slot canyons out West.

Easy access via trails and you don't have to hike miles from your car. Plus, this time of the year the park is deserted except for the occasional hunter. Blaze orange on some article of clothing is recommended ;-)

I'll be heading back there around Christmas with my 8x10 in tow. If your visit coincides with that time frame, let me know and maybe we can hook up. I know of some good spots just across the border in PA too.

Scott Whitford