Were my parent's square snapshots from the 1960s on 120?

goofus_magee

My parents have a number of snapshots from the 1950s and 1960s which

are square prints. I don't recall what kind of camera was used for

these, but I'm sure it was not a high-quality 6x6. Were these shots

most likely exposed on 120 rollfilm on an inexpensive consumer grade

6x6?

If they are from the 1960's, it could be from the original Instamatic "126" type film, which was introduced in 1963. If the prints are from the 1950's, then 126 would not be an option. The Instamatic cameras produced a square negative (28x28mm), and were usually printed as 3.5" square prints. Of course, without the negatives or the camera, it would be impossible to be certain. Many inexpensive cameras of the era produced square negatives, like the ubiquitous Brownie Hawkeye (620 film, 2.25x2.25 negatives).

The Brownie Hawkeyes were a 620 square format, and just about everybody owned one in the 1950's, and all of out family photos in the early 1960's when I was growung up were taken with them. Remember those huge powerful flash bulbs exploding? I took my first pictures with one. The things would flare if there was any bright objects anywhere in the picture!

I still have my Dad's Rolleiflex 126 camera which came out in the mid 1960's. It was a high priced response to the Kodak Instamatic and used 126 film in a square format. It was available with three lenses - a wide angle, a standard and a short telephoto - all made by Zeiss and having outstanding optical capabilities for slides or prints. It's a great camera and quite unfortunate that Kodak stopped producing 126 slide film some years ago and 126 print film more recently. One can still find a few rolls around in camera stores but obviously there will come an end date. I contacted Kodak a few years ago about this and was informed that some other firm might make an equivalent film - but have heard nothing more. Does anyone out there know anything about this?

• 4 years later...

Ferrania in Italy still produce a 126 film, as far as I know it is the only 126 film made in the whole world as of 2005. It is marketed as Solaris and is a 24 exposure 200 ISO C41 film. The reviews I've read say it is a good, fine grained film but I have not yet had a chance to try it. Have got a few ready to shoot and Jessops still process them. Will let you know how they come out.

The Solaris 126 film is available from http://www.photosupplies.co.uk/ and http://www.photosupplies.co.uk/ for 1.99 or 2.59

• 2 weeks later...