Well, this isn't good.

From an article on Nikkei:

"Three other businesses units -- digital cameras, private branch exchange telephone systems and optical disk drives -- will be dismantled. Each will be scaled back and placed under the umbrella of other operations, with headcount to be reduced."

The article is here: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Panasonic-takes-out-scalpel-again-as-profits-falter

Seems like our enthusiasm for our, either hobby or profession, is a mismatch for the realities of camera producing companies. From time to time I hear of the struggle throughout other firms like Nikon and Canon. Yet there are so many issues surrounding these difficulties that are misunderstood. I know I'm confused!

I think Panasonic needs to clarify this, and quickly. I doubt they'll abandon their camera business since they've just introduced a new flagship camera which has been very well received. And they're introducing a new trio of Pana-Leica zooms that also look very nice. But to say they're "dismantling" their camera business sends a message that will likely put off prospective buyers, which is *exactly* what they don't need or want! We've known for a while that their marketing is dysfunctional, but now it appears that their corporate communications is, as well.