Well, I just got a Mamiya C3!

<p>Okay, I know about the medium format forum, but I think this thread is better suited here because of the camera's age (almost 50 years old).</p>

<p>I bought a Mamiya C3 yesterday, and I'll have to say I'm surprised at how small it is. I was afraid it would be the TLR equivalent of my RB67!</p>

<p>But, the frame counter will not reset, so I can't load the film. They're supposed to reset automatically, right?<br>

I have the switch set for roll film and everything.</p>

<p>Also, I've heard that the older chrome lenses are more difficult to find parts for. If I get a working one and have it CLA'd, shouldn't it last for quite a while?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Richard, I downloaded the manual and followed it to the letter. It worked once, but now it won't reset.</p>

<p>The side of the camera has a dent in it, approximately where the frame counter mechanism should be. I wonder if that's where my problem is coming from?</p>

<p>I don't know if this will help, but</p>

<p>(i) You are correct that the frame counter is reset by opening the back door of the camera.</p>

<p>(ii) You probably observed that this is controlled by a little rectangular steel button inside the film back, on the right-hand side, just above the take-up spool. It's like the light in your fridge, except backwards: when the camera is closed, that button is depressed 2 - 3mm, which permits the counter to advance to 12. When the camera back is opened, the button springs out and the counter resets to 0.</p>

<p>(iii) You might check that the button is moving in and out freely, and that its spring is still springy. Maybe give it a gentle poke with a fine-tipped tool, like a tiny screwdriver, to see if it's moving. If the button is stuck in the depressed position, the counter will not reset. </p>

<p>You probably have tried this all already, so sorry if I'm stating the obvious! If you got it to reset once, I'm optimistic that the mechanism is intact, despite the dent.</p>

<p>Ah! A C3 was my introduction to medium format. And I was gobsmacked by the images I got from it--how fondly I remember those days of innocent joy!</p>

<p>The chrome lenses usually are warned against as they can't, apparently, be repaired as easily as the modern black lenses due to scarcity of spare parts. And they aren't multicoated (I think that's true for all of them--but check <a href="http://www.btinternet.com/~G.A.Patterson/mfaq/m_faq-contents.html">Graham Patterson's site</a> to confirm which lenses are and which aren't.) The lack of multi-coating, however, gave my chrome 80/2.8 a "glow" which I found very attractive. I kind of hate having gotten rid of it in order to obtain a much younger lens.</p>

<p>Hope you get that frame counter issue sorted out...you'll have loads of fun with that venerable C3!</p>