the site sometimes images won't load. Sometimes I keep a browser

with the forums open in that I come back to from time to time. If

it's been open for awhile I'll sometimes see that behavior. Clearing

cache doesn't seem to fix it but restarting the browser does. I've

seen it happen on two different computers each with a different

version of IE running. Other sites work well even when this is

happening. Photo.net seems to run slower but it might be because the

images aren't coming up.

I've noticed much the same things. I often browse through the selected photos or the critique request photos, and it seems like my browser gradually becomes unable to download photos. First only one or two blank boxes, then more, then it seems that it won't download any graphics. I shut it down and then open it again and the behavior is usually gone. If it is not gone, I close it again and do something else for a while, then when I reopen the browser, all seems to be well. I use Internet Explorer 5.5, if that matters.

I've been having the same problem. I thought it was on my end, but I even went so far as to reboot the computer, and _still_ couldn't see the images. And then it started happening at work. Using IE 6 in both places (with no interest in changing, so no comments from the peanut gallery, please). I haven't been able to pin down a pattern, but it seems to happen after using the site a while, and nothing, not even rebooting fixes it. Which makes me wonder if it's tied to the account somehow?

I had that the other day using IE 5.5, but when it happened to me the same problem was occurring with all sites until I restarted IE, so I put the problem down to a bug in IE (always my first guess!). I also find the cache sometimes doesn't work properly - I now have it set to check for newer versions on every visit to a page, and that seems to help (in Tools->Internet Options->Temporary Internet Files Settings...)

Never had a problem with other browsers.

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed the same thing. I tried the microsoft website, and didn't find an exact description of the bug. It seems that some pages cause my browser to freeze, not allowing it to download any more photos. Once it has happened on photo.net, I can't get it to download pics from other sites, and even microsoft explorer won't work properly. However text access seems to be unaffected. The solution is to reboot my computer, and that works, until I visit photo.net again.

• 3 weeks later...

This is happening with my IE version 6.0. I thought I had the problem isolated to William Smith's portfolio. If I tried loading anyone else's photos, everything would work just fine. On his portfolio, the pictures do not load and I cannot load anyone else's again after that. I have to reboot. William and I have exchanged a couple of e mails in this regard and he has sent me to this formum for help. I will reset my temporary internet files settings. Also, I am going to quote some of our e mail exchange, which might shed some light on some of our problem:

Me: "I cannot seem to get your pictures to load on my pc. I have tried, at different times and on different days. I cannot figure out why yours do not load, other people's will load for me."

William: Very strange. My images are basic JPGs, all within PhotoNet guidelines. I tried six different browsers, Explorer, Mozilla, Opera, OmniWeb, iCab and Chimera and all the images load OK. I'm using Photoshop 7 and the User Guide said that "some older browsers are not supported" by Photoshop 7s JPGs. Could it be that your browser falls under this category? If that is the case there must be thousands of users of old browsers that can't enjoy my lovely images! LOL

What I might do is load a identical image saved in an earlier version of Photoshop and see if that works.

Would you be willing to let me know if it does?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I do love a good mystery.

William

His test picture loads for me, now. None of the others will. When I go to do a rating on the test picture, the picture disappears. Further to which he uses a Mac, I believe.

Jeremy, perhaps you could contact William to help us solve this problem? http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=438572

Although, if you go there you will have to reboot. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in solving this problem. I've switched operating systems to XP with IE 6, and still have to shut down my browser after I visit photo.net. I think twice before I come here. Isn't there a way for the server to clip off offending script?