Weighing chemicals: What scale do I buy?

I want to start mixing my own chemistry (I.E. Kodak D-23) and want to know what

kind of scale I should buy. I�d like to keep it inexpensive so a true lab scale

seems out of the question. I have seen pocket scales that measure to .01gr. Are

these any good? What should I look for in a used lab scale? What are some brands

I should keep my eye open for. Pretty much what scale would you buy and why.

David,

like you, I wanted a scale for making up my own darkroom solutions, and bought a small, inexpensive digital scale that is accurate to .1g. I quickly found that this level of accuracy doesn't begin at zero, as I began weighing out phenidone, and the scale didn't register any weight until over 1g had been loaded. I was subsequently given a very expensive lab scale that measures accurately to .01g over its generous range, but I still use the little digital scale for some things that don't require absolute precision, and keep the weights in the range the scale can measure accurately.

If you're on a budget, but want to try making up some developers from scratch, I recommend Pat Gainer's ascorbate developers, for which he gives teaspoon measurements. You can find that info at unblinking eye.com. Good luck.

Jay

Ohaus has a small, battery-powered electronic scale that's very good for smaller amounts of chemicals (up to about 100 grams). I got one a couple of years ago for about $40. It's good for 0.1-gram amounts and it's good enough to do it with great accuracy. It drops to 0.2 grams above 50 grams.

I don't know what the situation is in the rest of the world, but here in the UK you can buy "smoker's" scales for as little as 12 pounds (about $17 US). These mainly weight to around 300 grams with a resolution of 0.1 grams, which is fine for most developer formulae. D23 uses Metol and 0.1 grams is sufficiently accurate.

However, if you think you'll ever want to make up a Phenidone formula, then you'll want a scale with a resolution of 0.01 grams. These are also available quite readily, but generally cost a little more, and only weight up to 50 or 100 grams. BTW, you can double the maximum rating of most electronic scales by using the "Tare" function.

Beware the auto-off function, though. Some of these scales have a nasty habit of switching off after 30 seconds, unless the weight changes drastically. This can be a pain when you're carefully trying to weigh out a chemical, and the LCD screen suddenly goes blank. I overcome this with mine by giving it a poke every few seconds to make the display change by a few grams.

Despite the euphamism of "smoker's scales", I think we all know what these small pocket scales are really intended and used for. It's a sad reflection that these useful little scales can be mass-produced for an illicit market, while photographic scales are almost extinct these days.

Dear Pete,

You mean... oh... yeah... like, wow... Half a weight of hypo, please...

I have a set of these somewhere (bought as a photographic prop, I hasten to add) and don't find them very useful: they're about as wonky as their users' perception after a few good tokes of Afghan opiated black.

Instead I use an old lab balance, liberated from a school that went over to digital weighing (as most have). Frightening numbers of these have ended up in skips (dumpsters) but an inquiry at a nearby school may still be fruitful.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Hello everyone. Downsizing years ago for retirement, I solded my triple beam scale (4 lashes each day for that blunder!) but recently purchased one of the 0.1 gram electronic scales. Yes, it did have the "problem" of requiring >1g to register. Work around this by getting a thin piece of metal and file it down to exactly 1g. Put the metal into the pan/tray and zero the scale. Any chem's added will show instantly at 0.1g. Enjoy, Bill