WeeklyPost Processing Challenge 8th June 2018

Since GC and Michael are unavailable this week, I offer this image for the challenge. Edit it as you wish.

The photo was taken just after sunrise at Hendry's Beach in Santa Barbara, California.[ATTACH=full]1249307[/ATTACH]

Hi Glenn, thanks for posting and with a good choice. I've no access to my computer but looking in with a tablet....GC.

• Like 1

Glenn, thanks for putting this image up for challenge this week. Since I found its appearance and atmosphere somewhat otherworldly, I decided to amplify that. Initially, I adjusted tonality using levels in PSE15. Thereafter, in Color Efex, I used curves to boost the reds I noticed in the original. Back to PSE, I added some tonal tweaks using the dodge tool and added some selective sharpness using the sharpen tool.1513880_a738593c4d832a826872a38b5f7c86a5.thumb.jpg.a9d9a0e81fa0bfbcc5ac5e63c49a9ac0.jpg
  • Like 3

Sandy, what steps did you take to get this result?

Cropped to emphasize the water / ocean more. Increased the color temp and saturation, kicked down the hilights a bit, sharpened a touch. Was looking for "lateish" afternoon. I tend to tweak quickly in small increments till I like the result - as with cooking, add & taste till it is "right" after the fact may not remember everything I did.

• Like 1

My approach is similar to Fred's in that I converted to black and white. I used tonal contrast in NIK ColorEfex to start with to increase the tonal contrast in the highlights, and then converted to black and white in SilverEfex. I did additional dodging of the highlights of the reflected clouds, and added toning. 510501836_hendrysbeachsunriseBWtoneds.thumb.jpg.cd9bc168c2388345164c18d2d20399ba.jpg
  • Like 3