Weekly Post-Processing Challenge - May 17, 2015

<p>Thanks for starting Michael, I thought Thormod would. No biggie, I would have started but we went to B&H today to look/buy some studio lighting set-ups.</p>

<p>Image reminded me of a 1950's vacation snap-shot. So I went into Silver effects until I got what looked good.</p><div>00dIMH-556809184.jpg.fb61fcc9d4ef1836c6ceb7d3ea8e66d3.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I like how the blurred background removes distractions that otherwise would draw a viewer's eye away from the subject.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Looking at a lot of Dali's work, I wonder if he would feel the same way. As a matter of fact, your original, where subject and background were less distinct and more blended, seemed to have much more Dali in it than separating the elements does. Since it is a photo of a reproduction of the Dali mustache in situ, approaching it to look more like a Dali painting, which your original does, would seem an interesting and insightful way to go. Consider the similarity between how he handled subject, background, and intermingling elements in <a href="http://webneel.com/daily/sites/default/files/images/daily/09-2013/2-reflection-elephants-illusion-paintings-by-salvador-dali.jpg">THIS PAINTING</a> and how your original comes across. I might have done a little post processing for sure on your original, but not to isolate the subject or remove distraction.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I'm with Allyn, Michael and Rick in enjoying and appreciating Allyn's isolated, miniaturized version. For the purposes of this thread, I think the various derivative images should each stand on their own, and there is absolutely no reason for the images submitted in this thread to attempt to be faithful to Dali's style unless that is the intention of a particular participant in this thread. To me, the changes made by Allyn allow me to focus on the (presumed) subject while adding a nice air of size dissonance.</p>

<p>Fred, as we have debated years ago, if you think a derivative version presuming to adhere to Dali's preferences would be interesting, and since this is a hands-on thread, why don't you submit a version so we can see exactly what you have in mind, rather than just suggesting in words that such an approach might be interesting or even preferable.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if you think a derivative version presuming to adhere to Dali's preferences would be interesting, and since this is a hands-on thread, why don't you submit a version so we can see exactly what you have in mind, rather than just suggesting in words that such an approach might be interesting or even preferable.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Because, in this case, something Michael SAID struck me and I wanted to respond in words. I haven't found it to be a good use of my time to post process other people's photos. I generally spend a lot of time on what I do in post processing and prefer to invest that time in a photo I myself took. But I do check into the thread every now and then and appreciate that others find benefit or get fun out of doing this sort of thing. I didn't have a specific vision in mind, just a loose idea of an alternative way to approach it. I'm glad if Michael was stimulated by my thoughts, as I was by his. I don't see that as a waste of my effort or that anything was damaged in the process. But thanks so much for weighing in, Tom.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if you think a derivative version presuming to adhere to Dali's preferences</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Tom, I also wanted to thank you for this, which brings up a couple of interesting points especially related to post processing and stylization. Can one pay homage to or create something with a kindred sensibility to someone like Dali without being derivative or imitative or mimicking? I think so. Generally when I talk about this sort of stylistic approach, I would lean toward a result that's more metaphorical than literal.<br>

<br>

Secondly, if my introduction distracted you from my main point, I withdraw it. I was speaking very loosely and again metaphorically when I said "I wonder if he would feel the same way" in referring to Dali. If that came out as anything close to "presuming to adhere to Dali's preferences," I am sorry for that. Again, it was not really my intention to presume to know what's in Dali's head. It was simply my intention to bounce a few ideas back and forth with Michael, with whom I have a fairly long and established relationship here on PN. </p>

<p>While the thread is entitled "Weekly Post-Processing Challenge" it seems that both your views are valid. Those of us who want to post-process of course do. But if it engenders a discussion isn't that the same or better than (I'll use my own comment here) a simple</p>

<blockquote>Also liked the way it miniaturized the view (at least to me).</blockquote>

<p>But that is the point of art, isn't it? To create, be inspired, to think, perchance to dream ... [sorry about that :) ]<br>

BTW - Jeff I like the minimalistic look</p>

<p>Wildlife in the Dali Park. Playing with Topaz Remask 4 in CS5, using an old photo of a ground squirrel that I took in another park. He was well groomed and may have used moustache wax. I too like Allyn's rendition. Sorry Fred, that my version is thoroughly derivative and imitative (but I feel no shame). I find it interesting that the discussion of this image suddenly perked up when Michael revealed that this was Dali's moustache. If he stated that this was Graucho Marx's moustache, the responses and editing (including my own) would have been completely different.</p><div>00dIbK-556836484.jpg.23347ce5e367283cfd941f101396d873.jpg</div>