Weekly Post Processing Challenge January 19, 2019

"Another weekly challenge.

If, anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun." (Gerald Cafferty)

Puerto Punta del Este after the catch and cleaning. Here, sea lions are called 'los lobos' (the wolves). It is understandable when you see them devour fish guts.

DSC_3701.thumb.jpg.c637ea0182399eec45dd2e7cfce6fb62.jpg

• Like 3

3 versions -

(1) In PSE15, cropped from bottom and a bit from the left edge, then used spot healing brush to eliminate remnants of the woman in bottom right corner. Then levels for gross tonal adjustments and dodge tool to lighten face of the woman carrying two crates. Then used sponge tool for selective color saturation increases. Finally used NIK's Output Sharpener.

ppccolorcopy.thumb.jpg.2a8395e23dd3839f7ed811fb3fc06250.jpg

• Like 5

ppc.thumb.jpg.6f85b12f41857a6bb1d3675a9904a574.jpg

Taking a hint from the second image, I eliminated the tray in her right hand by using content aware fill in Photoshop CS5, then looked through my Hawaii snorkeling photos to find a suitable(?) fish (a unicornfish) and pasted it over the background, then revealed selective parts of the background by painting black on a mask.

Having once been chased away by a territorial sea lion while scuba diving in the Monterey Bay, I fully appreciate Sanford's comment!

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1279701[/ATTACH]

Taking a hint from the second image, I eliminated the tray in her right hand by using content aware fill in Photoshop CS5, then looked through my Hawaii snorkeling photos to find a suitable(?) fish (a unicornfish) and pasted it over the background, then revealed selective parts of the background by painting black on a mask.

Glenn you've shown some admirable skills in swapping the tray with the fish.

• Like 3

Great work, Glenn! Funny too.

[ATTACH=full]1279701[/ATTACH]

Having once been chased away by a territorial sea lion while scuba diving in the Monterey Bay, I fully appreciate Sanford's comment!

A new ploy to get more fish guts. I think his friends are in on it.

In homage to Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson) "Can you balance the world on the tip of your nose like a sea lion with a ball at the carnival?"

The hardest part was making the beach ball from scratch because I didn't have a photo of one. Cryptically: new square document, vertical stripes, circular selection, distort>spherize, spherize 2 more times, cut and paste into the photo, rotate, dodge and burn to get shadowed bottom and lighter top.

The rest of the image was just the usual adjustments, blur, masking, etc., which I can't remember.

566548113_SeaLionBalancemorefish.thumb.jpg.5df3d2788bf6dec581515e865a3feb48.jpg

• Like 5

I liked the 'fish'and 'balancing ball' takes on this but ... they were aready 'taken' :). I tried to simplify the image and add more color:

- cropping

- removed the girl on the right (context-aware fill) and hosepipe (clone/patch)

- adjusted levels and contrast in the water

- added adjustments (blue shadows, violet highlights, orange mid-tones

- darkened/blurred the 'clutter''top-right

Schiedam-mike.thumb.jpg.2bfe8deb04c64690f88a45a3ed4e03a1.jpg

• Like 4