Weekly Post Processing Challenge, January 12, 2019

"Another weekly challenge.

If, anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun." (Gerald Cafferty)

Get a jump on summer! This one needs lots of work.

Having a heck of a time getting the image uploaded and to display this week. No idea why other than it is not seasonal for the northern hemisphere.

After attempt 7, I shrunk the file size and...DSC_8103.thumb.jpg.276590391a9bba252f2f28542c62b9b1.jpg Finally Success!

• Like 4

A bit of background if it helps. I shot this from by gazebo on Lake Temiskaming. The darkness on the right is one of the pillars of my gazebo. I would estimate that the chap water boarding (not the Dick Cheney type) was about 1km away. The far shore line was about 2km away. There is lots of thermal distortion in the air above the water.
  • Like 1

Ooops... missed the 'give details bit'...sorry..:(

OK. Big Crop aimed to use water-spray 'arc' to aim/focus attention on the surfer.

Converted to Lab colour in Photoshop and used curves on water and background in a and b channel and sharpened L channel with Focus Magic plugin.

Returned to RGB and History Brushed to before Lab colour 'boost' on the surfer only. He looked a bit radioactive otherwise!

Warmed up colour balance to evening 'orangey' light.

• Like 2

WK_Edit01122019_1.thumb.jpg.bc8baf1039ed33564e99064646f0fece.jpg

Punta thank you for supplying the image again this week. It was a fun one. I decided to make this golden pound. All work was in Gimp. I cropped the image and then I used the levels tool to adjust the black and white points and the exposure. I then made a set of luminosity mask and used them on color overlay layers to get the golden pond.

• Like 3

I had the urge to do an OOB. It's no wonder since the last one I did was 14 years ago! An OOB is an Out Of Bounds treatment and there are tutorials on the web as to how to do them so I won't post all the steps here.

This probably wasn't the best image to use for an OOB; but, here it is anyway and my urge has been fulfilled.

By the way, the 'golden' colour of the north end of Lake Temiskaming is the result of it's clay bottom. The lake lies in a rift valley that the Ottawa rive flows through. It is Ontario's second deepest lake at 216m (Lake Superior is deeper).

276092452_OOBWaterBoard.thumb.jpg.2e35144c97b66a5b54886a8a505dc631.jpg

• Like 5

I wondered what this would look like as a 3 panel-set of gallery wraps. One of the reasons was that I like the textures of the trees on the background hill and the information in the park on the far side of the lake.

So, I cropped and then went to PS and used the slice tool to divide the image into 3 equal parts. I expanded the canvas by 200%H x150%V. I then selected each slice and moved it onto a new layer and moved them apart. I then applied a drop shadow to one of the layers and copied the effect to the others layers. A texture background and....Now appearing on a wall of a dental office near you! (just kidding).

431525276_3panel.thumb.jpg.cadbbc3822a780ce73c36c8df446ccbe.jpg

• Like 5

I've been trying out the Layer 'Blend if' options in Photshop recently so (like @mike_halliwell) I decided to try a 'golden pond' effect using these. I wanted to keep the 'long wave' in so I separately upsized the 'big wave' (left) and the skier to bring them closer. Dodged/Burned some waves tones to add contrast. Appled orange tint to the water mid-tones/highlights with purple shadows. Purple shadows, darkening and blurring of the background. Cropping to 16x9 to place the jumping skier high in the picture.

1485286262_Waterskier-mike.thumb.jpg.1170872dbb90e94602eb4262788352c1.jpg

• Like 2

I've been trying out the Layer 'Blend if' options in Photshop recently so (like @mike_halliwell) I decided to try a 'golden pond' effect using these. I wanted to keep the 'long wave' in so I separately upsized the 'big wave' (left) and the skier to bring them closer. Dodged/Burned some waves tones to add contrast. Appled orange tint to the water mid-tones/highlights with purple shadows. Purple shadows, darkening and blurring of the background. Cropping to 16x9 to place the jumping skier high in the picture.

[ATTACH=full]1278896[/ATTACH]

I like the golden tone. I wonder if he could have achieved the same height if he was waterboarding on Honey or Lyle's Golden Syrup? Probably he could have if on Beer. Perhaps a Bass? Maybe twice the height?:)

• Like 2

I had the urge to do an OOB. It's no wonder since the last one I did was 14 years ago! An OOB is an Out Of Bounds treatment and there are tutorials on the web as to how to do them so I won't post all the steps here.

This probably wasn't the best image to use for an OOB; but, here it is anyway and my urge has been fulfilled.

By the way, the 'golden' colour of the north end of Lake Temiskaming is the result of it's clay bottom. The lake lies in a rift valley that the Ottawa rive flows through. It is Ontario's second deepest lake at 216m (Lake Superior is deeper).

[ATTACH=full]1278872[/ATTACH]

PSE15 has a guided program for creating OOB images.

For those interestested, I've been 'creatively' playing around with color curves and color balance too. The 'creative' part is new for me. I found I could get an almost identitentical 'golden pond' photo using these instead of blending colored layers to specific tone ranges. Yet another example of the multiple ways of doing anything in Photoshop, Elements, GIMP, etc.

I decided to try a painterly approach. Initially, in PSE15, I altered the aspect ratio to square the image. Then, I used levels initially to adjust the tonalities. Then, in Color Efex, I used the darken/lighten filter to highlight the area closest to the skier. Returned to PSE for color and sharpness effects.

1472231764_paintcopy.thumb.jpg.fe3fce495aa561d996ba74f53bf5f104.jpg

• Like 5

One more (very silly) take on this. The idea of 'puddle-surfing' occurred to me yesterday and I couldn't resist trying it out!

Puddle-mike.thumb.jpg.c633de274548870d80ea5bf227ed4601.jpg

For moderators: The background image is by W. Carter sourced from Wikipedia and (because it's a requirement of Wikipedia), the photographer has explicitly relinquished all ownership rights, copyrights and CC limitations. It's now a 'public domain' image that is freely available to anyone to edit/publish without permission. See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:puddle_in_Loddebo.jpg.

• Like 5

I wish I knew the fellow making the jump. I bet he'd relish all the hard work and magnificent interpretations posted in this thread. Congratulations for your great work!

The ice on the north end of Lake Temiskaming is now (today) at least 30cm thick! The temps are going from -5˚C and -30˚C before the wind chill. That's hard on the boat and the waterboarder ;-} Snowmobiles, trucks and cars now take the place of boats.

• Like 3

Hi folks a bit late to the party. A very impressive response this week. I've kept it simple a B&W conversion, all done in LR 5.71. Cropped into a letterbox, main problem was the dark covering the right edge. A lot of selective exposure and clarity . I can now see that I didn't quite master the right side.

PPC_12JAN2019-FinalEdit-1.thumb.jpg.022afde182cd663241ac30d0094f31e4.jpg

• Like 3