Weekly Post Processing Challenge December 22, 2018

"Another weekly challenge.

If, anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun." (Gerald Cafferty)

Best of the season to all!!

I reduced the size of the file this week to 4500x3000 from 6000x4000 in an attempt to make it easier to access. I'm also uploading using Safari vs Chrome. Through iteration, I may eventually get the posting part of the challenge right. Thanks for the suggestions last week. I hope this works.

This was shot through my front window, after a quick camera grab, as the sleigh passed when we lived in Canada no so long ago.

I miss the views of winter; but, not the cold nor the short winter days.

1509206331_OneHorse.thumb.jpg.bfc616b78c9a71e1ae942df27c0aba65.jpg

• Like 5

Great photo, PuntaColorada, especially for the holiday season. I bounced around in various programs trying to get my version. I ended up choosing a LUT, but then changed it a lot in Photoshop and applied a Topaz Detail adjustment to bring out the tracks in the road/trail due to the whiteout I had accidentally created. I used DXO for a tad of perspective change, then sent it to SNS-HDR to lightly bring out a little detail in the now dark horsie and to hopefully give depth to the woods. With the exception of the critter and the sled, I see I'm still stuck in my "everything must be blue" mode. Haha. Azul que te quiero azul. Click for full size version.sledfinished6.thumb.jpg.a9351374a3dcab843a19c2099850d209.jpg Edited by tom_r
  • Like 4

I hope it's ok for me to post to this challenge. I can't let you guys have ALL the fun ;-}

This is my tribute to the Royal Canadian Mint. They do some wonderful things.

814133633_OneHorseCoin2.thumb.jpg.d7b7b49722e29bef60f65dc37b827d05.jpg

All done in PS 2019. First, I converted the image to 8 bits so I could use Stylize> Emboss. I mucked with the sliders a bit. Then I needed to take the residual colour out using a B&W adjustment. The coin was a bit of work. I created a new square document. Then I used the elliptical marquee to crate a circle which I converted into a path. There was stroking of the path, effects like inner and outer glow, etc. I scaled the path and then did a stroke with a brush that had wide spacing to create the ring of dots, which I then did a drop shadow effect. I scaled the path again and placed the CANADA 2019 on that path followed by glow and shadow effects. The 23 Cents was just typer with the same effects. I went back to the sleigh embossed image, cut out the bit I wanted to use and then pasted it on the coin document as a new layer. I used a layer mask to hide the background (lots of fussy work) and then used a brightness/contrast adjustment layer clipped top it to get the tone right. I put a gradient fill layer (red to black), under it all and there you have my 23 cents worth.

• Like 4

there you have my 23 cents worth.

I couldn't resist playing with your image, which is worth more than 23 cents. (And, by no means, did I intend to demean the work of the Royal Canadian Mint.) In PSE15, I modified the aspect ratio, inverted, and used the spherize filter. Then, sharpened with Output Sharpener.

122554582_puntacopy.thumb.jpg.0d85f62afd9f8544f4e04fc98066a564.jpg

• Like 3

I couldn't resist playing with your image, which is worth more than 23 cents. (And, by no means, did I intend to demean the work of the Royal Canadian Mint.) In PSE15, I modified the aspect ratio, inverted, and used the spherize filter. Then, sharpened with Output Sharpener.

[ATTACH=full]1276373[/ATTACH]

I like what the inversion did particularly to the text!

• Like 1

After seeing MichaelLinder's brilliant rendition, I had another go at this. Per Michael's post, I inverted the coin and sharpened. Wow, what a difference! Thank you Michael! Then I added a texture using OnOne Photo Raw 2019 which also added colour similar to that of the Loonie (Canada's $1 coin) and a bit of oxidation.

I think we are now in the realm of the Post-Post Processing Challenge!

695909158_OneHorseCoin2I-Edit.thumb.jpg.74cfc8f5d13f6a76649ada88e4f03f33.jpg

• Like 3

...Per Michael's post, I inverted the coin and sharpened. Wow, what a difference! Thank you Michael! Then I added a texture using OnOne Photo Raw 2019 which also added colour similar to that of the Loonie (Canada's $1 coin) and a bit of oxidation.

[ATTACH=full]1276379[/ATTACH]

Hmm... I'm wondering why

a Canadian dollar coin has

"23 cents" on it...

http://bayouline.com/o2.gif

• Like 1

WK_Edit12222018_1_G.thumb.jpg.406b5c17e526648d10f02aaa7326c608.jpg

Punta thanks for posting the image this week. It is very appropriate to the season. I did all my work in Gimp. First i cropped the image then I adjusted the black and white points. Then I used luminosity mask to in cress contrast and bring out the green the forest. I the applied an un-sharpen mask. Last I added the text layer.

• Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1276394[/ATTACH]

Punta thanks for posting the image this week. It is very appropriate to the season. I did all my work in Gimp. First i cropped the image then I adjusted the black and white points. Then I used luminosity mask to in cress contrast and bring out the green the forest. I the applied an un-sharpen mask. Last I added the text layer.

Right backacha, Mike. I hope you and yours have splendid holiday season.

Another good source image with plenty of different approaches. Started in Lightroom, adjusted verticals and cropped. Opened in Silver Efex and applied a modified Film Noir preset with tint.

[ATTACH=full]1276643[/ATTACH]

Love it Gerald. I hoped for years that my neighbour would straighten that lamp post. I wish I could have shown your image to him!