Weekly Post Processing Challenge 8th December 2018

Ever since I resurrected the Weekly Challenge I've enjoyed setting the tasks, but it has started to become a chore. Each week I have tried to encourage others to give setting a go but other than Michael when I've been away there has been no takers. So what I'm saying is unless there are others willing, this will be the last challenge. I've attached the usual information which can be copied and pasted when setting the challenge (or replace with your own). I hope all you regulars will consider giving a go, it can be a collective effort taking turns.

Another weekly challenge.

If, anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun.

PPC_8thDec2018-Source.thumb.jpg.c0b0caeed80e075c0f3096aab2b01619.jpg

• Like 5

Ok, Thanx Michael and Gerald!

I'll try to post an image next Friday.

I love doing the post-processing challenge. However, my photography skill will never meet the standard set by Gerald. Lots of what I do is fix my in-camera mistakes.

I have to admit I am a bit intimidated; but, I'll try.

"Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday."

How does one do this?

Thank you for putting yourself forward, here's a few tips on how to proceed.

From the forum heading for Digital Darkroom at the top choose, + Post New Thread. - Give thread title - Fill in text - Upload File , The picture file needs to be a high res jpeg. The normal maximum 1000 pixels do not apply so you can keep it at the resolution as it came from the camera (EG. this weeks is 4896X3264 pixcels).

Then choose "Full Image" followed by "Create Thread"............

If you or anyone has questions please ask.....................Regards GC.

Thank you for putting yourself forward, here's a few tips on how to proceed.

From the forum heading for Digital Darkroom at the top choose, + Post New Thread. - Give thread title - Fill in text - Upload File , The picture file needs to be a high res jpeg. The normal maximum 1000 pixels do not apply so you can keep it at the resolution as it came from the camera (EG. this weeks is 4896X3264 pixcels).

Then choose "Full Image" followed by "Create Thread"............

If you or anyone has questions please ask.....................Regards GC.

Thanx Gerald. I will give it a go. Friday here starts GMT-3 so I mighty be a little late for our EU friends.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if what I put forward isn't acceptable. I have thick skin.

Edited by PuntaColorada
  • Like 1

but it has started to become a chore. Each week I have tried to encourage others to give setting a go but other than Michael when I've been away there has been no takers. So what I'm saying is unless there are others willing, this will be the last challenge.

I will not be primary, but given minimal notice, will step into the gap. ;)

• Like 1

WK_Edit12082018_2.thumb.jpg.0bc1490130d308f35952fd216c10ee6e.jpg

Gerald great image again this week. Just want to say how much I appreciate your effort every week. This is something I look forward to and I will pitch in as well to keep this going.

I used Gimp. First I cloned out some grass and an object on the fire left of the image. I then used the perspective tool to move the horizon down to get the boat off dead center. Then I adjusted the white and black points and exposure. I created a set of luminosity mask that I used to color tone the image. I used teal and blue for the shadows and orange and yellow for the highlights. I then applied a un-sharpen mask at about 1.5 value.

• Like 5

Thanx Gerald. I will give it a go. Friday here starts GMT-3 so I mighty be a little late for our EU friends.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if what I put forward isn't acceptable. I have thick skin.

Hi, thanks again. The normal posting day has always been Saturday, although I have often posted late Friday for my own convenience. Do whatever suits you............GC.

A concept. It's either a ship's wheel or a compass.

A few adjustments in LR and a crop. Then onto PS where I used the custom shape tool which has a cross hair type of shape. Then I duplicated that shape and rotated it 45˚, merged the two shapes to create this compass or ship's wheel. Then I made a selection from the shape, made a cutout of the original image in the shape of the shape with a transparent background. I duplicated the background layer, darkened it and put an iris blur on it. I put this as the top layer and the shape cutout above it. Then I did a drop shadow and a bit of outer glow on the shape cutout layer, flattened the whole thing and put a border on it.

Compas.thumb.jpg.98c5cace80657ff01e2fa3b751114876.jpg

• Like 3

Another great image Gerald Thanks for this and for the many others you've posted to reinvigorate the weekly PP challenge. I enjoy it. There's no real reason (apart from complacency/laziness) why other people - including myself - haven't taken take more initiative in posting images. I really appreciate all you've done and I can well imagine that keeping the thread going week after week becomes a burden after a while. It's high time others (including myself) step up and take more responsibility/initiative. Good on you for making us aware of this!

A week is a nice period of time for a PP challenge. It's enough time to consider a photo, the PP options and to experiment. I do wonder whether we need to restrict ourselves to just one photo. An alternative approach might be for people to upload photos that they consider 'challenging' in PP for a certain week. Anyone who wants to take up the challenge on one more photos could post their versions.

Anyway, for this photo. I wanted to bring the boat closer to the viewer (crop). I added a bit of color to the sky and pebbles too. I also added a (drawn in ) 'distant coastline' because the sea/horizon were pretty boring (not the fault of the photographer! The scene was as it was.boat.thumb.jpg.9cd44cecd2f7f47f7edc0133065d5976.jpg

Edited by mikemorrell
  • Like 4

[ATTACH=full]1274405[/ATTACH]

Nice image to work with. Cropped, straightened horizon, employed NIK glamour glow in Photoshop CS5, added a few pelicans and a dog.

I can contribute images on occasion. Thank you for your efforts GC.

Glenn,

I like the dog and pelican stare off!

Edited by tom_r

Another version, color modified initially using PSE deep blue filter at 75%, then solarizing.

[ATTACH=full]1274292[/ATTACH]

Michael,

Yours is the only version that makes me feel trapped under an ever-lowering and threatening (yellow!) sky. It's a cool virtual reality effect. Good job!

Edited by tom_r