Weekly Post Processing Challenge 3rd November 2018

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by Gerald Cafferty, Nov 3, 2018.

  1. Another weekly challenge.
    If, anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday.


    Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

    It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun.

    PPC_3rdNovember2018-Source.jpg
     
  2. WK_Wdit11032018.jpg
    Gerald excellent image makes me want to visit.
    I used Gimp. First I used the levels tool and adjusted the white and black points. I used the values to worm the overall image. I cloned out a blue ball of rope next to the boat. It looked too much like a blue rabbit. I then created a set of luminosity mask and adjusted color and contrast layer by layer from the dark to the light. Last I adjusted the mid tons with a little saturation. Last I did a little bit of sharpening.
     
  3. Gerald, this is a great image and I like it the way you presented it. All I did to mine was add Tonal Contrast in NIK. 1534322_9cc21d26413bd1234e73cccac9713859.jpg
     
  4. B/W version using Yellow Filter in NIK. 1534322_9cc21d26413bd1234e73cccac9713859.jpg
     
  5. Crop, levels, haze reduction, colours. boat-web_edited-1.jpg
     
  6. Sandy Vongries

    Sandy Vongries Moderator Staff Member

    Crop, adjust exposure, contrast, saturation,sharpen - hadn't seen Ken's, but similar idea. narboat113 (1024x574).jpg
     
  7. Converted to b&w, made tonal and sharpness adjustments in Silver Efex. Used Color Efex vignette filter tool, positioned black vignette in area of the two people with their dog toward the background. Then went to PSE15, used dodge tool slightly to lighten dark area along left edge. Finished with levels adjustments. #2.jpg
     
  8. Decided to try a painterly effect. Initially in PSE cropped about 1/3 from top edge. Then used saturation slider to desaturate colors by approximately 50%. Used dry brush tool in Artistic menu. Then modified hue to boost greens, saturated about 20%, then used water paper filter in Sketch menu. Sharpened to add texture.

    1534322_9cc21d26413bd1234e73cccac9713859.jpg
     
  9. Went with the Golden Hour. Most adjustments in Luminar 2018 this time.
    goldenhour.jpg
     
  10. Ok, an experiment for me. I've never made a .gif before but since I didn't change the dimensions in Gerald's fine photo, I tried to make a before and after using Photoshop with internet instructions. It seemed to work on my computer, but not sure about the real world (here). Thanks for putting up with my fiddling around.
    beforeandafter.gif
    Ok, it works, but it is sort of irritating.
     
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  11. All adjustments in Lightroom. No cropping. Converted to B&W, Exposure +0.44, Blacks -60, Clarity -100, Moved the colour channel sliders to lighten the foliage Orange +100, Yellow +100, Green +100. All this to hopefully give a faux Infrared effect.
    PPC-3rdNov2018-FinalEdit.jpg
     
  12. Tom,
    I like it.
     
  13. ppc.jpg Nice composition, so I left it alone. I started by using Topaz Simplify to eliminate fine details. Then I wanted a more fall like color palate, so I used NIK ColorEfex brilliance/warmth and Indian Summer settings, and then played with red and green saturation and lightness plus some dodging and burning in Photoshop CS5.
     
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

Share This Page