Weekly Post Processing Challenge 25th August 2018

Another weekly challenge.

If, anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun.

Lulworth Cove Dorset.

PPC_25thAugust2018-Source.thumb.jpg.c0985ac1332de282cc2c2cf93d45d63c.jpg

• Like 3

3 versions:

(1) In PSE15, cropped from left, used levels to adjust tonality, sharpened, adjusted hue and saturation.

(2) Used HDR Efex preset, went to PSE15 to refine tonal levels, modified colors and saturation.

(3) Converted original to B&W using Silver Efex. Additional tonal adjustments using levels and dodge tool. Sharpened using Output Sharpener.

Thanks for the photo! Here's a panorama sort-of version. First used Topaz AI Gigapixel to increase size for better cropping in PS. SNS-HDR and sent it there twice for adjustments in contrast and lighting. Opened in 3dlut Creator for attempt at masking and color adjustments. Sent it to PS for final editing of colors and brightness and some cloning. I'm not always sure what I'm doing, but I keep throwing programs and adjustments at it.

panorama..thumb.jpg.2721630e01f9e17052f6b44e1bf0c8a3.jpg

• Like 5

WK_Edit08252018.thumb.jpg.e7011c22145f3213a5d41162e3893142.jpg

Gerald once again a relay nice image. I like the over all image so much I didn't want to crop anything out but I like the water and the hillside on the right the most so I desideed to blur the foreground and see how it looked. I pasted the image in Gimp.

1. I made blurred copy of the image for later.

2. I made a black and white copy and inverted the colors used a Gaussian blur filter at 35 and set the layer property to overlay.

3. I used the curve tool to increase contrast.

4. I made a set of luminosity mask and used the mid tone mask to increase the saturation on the water and hillside on the right. I used a black brush on the mask to block out the sky and about everything else.

5. I moved the blurred layer to the top and applied as white mask with a black to white blend from top to bottom.

• Like 5

I tried various croppings and settled on a vertical composition. Then I converted to black and white using NIK SilverEfex. I used a green filter, increased highlight and midtone structure, then sharpened and toned in Photoshop CS5, and finally added a border using NIK ColorEfex "Image Borders".

ppc11.thumb.jpg.a418e7f10c2d7ba5c485f7dc3692f654.jpg

• Like 5

Gerald,

While you were there taking this interesting photo, did you board the every-15-minute boat to view the landslide?

No Tom it was during one of the UK's rare heatwaves and it was to hot to much of anything. Besides I don't do boats, large ferry's at a push but nothing leaving this beach.

I really like the effect you have got with Topaz impression, one of the better painterly effects I've seen...............GC.

There has been a great response with a varied selections of approaches. So I thought I would follow my natural talent and make a bad photo when I couldn't improve on others.

Started in Lightroom, cropped out most of the sky (which saved doing anything about all the sensor dust spots). Reduced the exposure on the sky, increased the exposure on the right cliff. Unsure where to go next, with the heavy crop it was apparent the photo was a bit soft. So decided to make that worse, opened it in Analog Efex Pro and went for a toy camera filter. Gave it maximum barrel distortion and colour aberration.

PPC_25thAug2018-FinalEdit.thumb.jpg.0de2eb317f103f61caee9e1d286772fb.jpg

• Like 1

1523951_8e18b80f3f5a7ca88647c182823efec6.thumb.jpg.df3d5842bd7fa9cbc34c4083a6a9cbd3.jpg

This one's a bit rushed, think the procedure was as follows:

Auto contrast then equalise, added an inverted yellow layer (at 55% visibility?) Selected the foreground then erased it (can't remember the strength). Merged the layers and equalised again. The selection was a bit rough so went back and blurred the contact and cloned over some jagged parts.

• Like 2