Weekly Post Processing Challenge 24th November 2018

Another weekly challenge.

If, anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate your intentions by Thursday or early Friday.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun.

PPC_Source24thNov24_11_2018.thumb.jpg.581a92e001d6b313ccaf85f388415805.jpg

• Like 5

In Photoshop, I cropped the image, removed the part of a post that remained, enhanced the sky and foliage saturation, dropped the sky intensity and added an S-curve to boost the contrast in2075716841_AllynsLighthouse.thumb.jpg.a2182432db3b62c114bb5dd4fe7c970f.jpg the sky. In On1 Photo Raw, I enhanced the fall colors, added dynamic contrast, and added a subtle vignette.
  • Like 4

My first impression was "what a stout lighthouse" .

I opened the image in PS, cropped it about the same as it appears others have, selected the top of the lighthouse using the rectangular marquee tool, transformed it to be taller, and then used a mask to bring back the sky in the areas of the rectangle that had the stretched sky.

Then over to On1 Photo Raw for dynamic contrast, brought up the yellows and reds for the benefit of the foreground vegetation, did a slight vignette, put the border on it and that was that.

Now that's a lighthouse that the ships will see!

438816132_Talllighthouse-Edit.thumb.jpg.04d765ec0aafb198789ce00857503115.jpg

• Like 5

Next, I wondered what the tall lighthouse would look like just after sunset when there was a slight fog (needed to show the light beams).

Back into PS, I used the camera raw filter to dehaze, desaturate, bring down highlights and shadows, and apply gradients to the top and bottom to darken them. On a new blank layer, I created the shape of the light beam on the left side using the pen tool, went to the paths pallet, filled the closed path with a yellowish white, made the path into a selection, put a gradient on the shape to make the light fall off, de-selected the shape (beam) and then blurred the shape quite a bit. Some lighthouses have two opposing light beams and I think this one deserved them, so I copied that layer and flipped it horizontally and moved the light beam to fit on the right side. I merged those two layers and then used blending with the layers below to show the lighter layer. I had to reduce the opacity of the layer with the beams.

Over to On1 Photo Raw originally only to put the border and maybe a vignette, but I noticed that the image was still too sharp to be at night with slight fog so I added some more blur.

Now looking at it, I think I should have put some lights on the buildings and maybe a few up the side of the lighthouse.

1188417110_Talllighthouseinthedark-Edit.thumb.jpg.587c1496daf681350a5903bd2bc61b8a.jpg

• Like 3

[ATTACH=full]1272553[/ATTACH]

Two days ago I was at the seashore in Southern California photographing birds, so naturally I was compelled to add a few sea birds to the PPC. I also cropped, added a bit of pincushion distortion and warmth.

Nice one Glenn. You can see plenty of Gulls on the Isle of Wight, a flock of Pelicans that would be something special.

• Like 2

[ATTACH=full]1272695[/ATTACH]

Great image Gerald.

I used Gimp. I like how all the lines converge on the light house so I didn't want to crop the image. But I thought the fence on the right was a distraction so I cloned it out. I used luminosity masks to do some color toning.

Sorry I've replied to the wrong answer, and I can't delete only edit.

A belated happy Thanksgiving (or other fall holiday you may celebrate around the same time in GB) to all of you.

For my first try, all work was done in PSE15. I started with a crop from the top and right edge. Next, I adjusted tonal levels with levels, resulting in all the contrast and saturation I needed. Then I used the sharpness slider.

newppc.thumb.jpg.4bed86f6b36cb3e383fa5db9f6237d85.jpg

• Like 4