Weekly Post Processing Challenge 23rd June 2018

Another weekly challenge.

If anyone else would like to post next week please give it a go, upload a High resolution jpeg. Just indicate by Wednesday next in this thread if you are willing to try.

Remember there are no rules you can do what you wish in your interpretation, please can you give information of the steps taken and software used to add interest.

It is not meant as a competition just a bit of fun.

PPC_23rdJune2018-Source.thumb.jpg.5be4e83e1d60af9f1ad5225af08e7366.jpg

Thank you, Gerald.

I took a fairly gentle approach using Lightroom: Perspective correction, crop (to match natural curve of stone wall at top with edge of reflection at bottom), reduce highlights, mild increase in clarity, very mild increase in vibrance, Grad filters (increase temp top 3/4; decrease temp bottom 1/4; mild increase in shadows right 1/3), brush (very mild dodge and mild increase in shadows - darkest boats).

1515669_0fb7b344322e5f8cfe791117cc1780e1.thumb.jpg.306f9151cdc2ad5880941f796f95c751.jpg

• Like 3

WK_Edit06232018.thumb.jpg.49d16134ce2a922c5d6e32bf58731e05.jpg

This is relay nice image and no need to do much to it. So I slit crop to get rid of a rail down in the lower right corner. Then generally lightened and increased the contrast of the whole seen. I used as slight unsharp mask. Then I used a luminosity mask to increase saturation in the reflection.

• Like 4

Starting in Photoshop Elements 15, I too cropped from the bottom and right to eliminate the flotsam and jetsam and extraneous shadow in the water. Next, I adjusted the tonality using levels. Then, in Silver Efex, I converted to b&w, made additional tonal adjustments, and applied a dark blue tone. Finishing in PSE with sharpening.1515669_0fb7b344322e5f8cfe791117cc1780e1.thumb.jpg.5ec877095961cc4b945efc6f6b039b91.jpg
  • Like 4

A fun photo to work on—there’s a lot here to play with. My attention kept get drawn to the reflections of the birds, so I figured I’d run with that.

1515669_0fb7b344322e5f8cfe791117cc1780e1-Edit.jpg.cb9949927c20adfa8c70fcd4c08d7ab7.jpg

Lightroom:

1. did a partial crop
  2. increased whites, lowered highlights, lowered shadows
  3. added a graduated filter to lighten bottom, increase contrast, increase whites
  4. added a second graduated filter to increase clarity, contrast, and saturation in the reflections of the buildings, but almost all of that got left out with the final crop

Photoshop:

1. straightened mast reflections with a skew transform
  2. added some space at the bottom by enlarging the canvas and using context aware fill

Lightroom:

1. added third and fourth graduated filters to further work on toning in the sky reflection
  2. moved the two outermost birds so they’d be included in the final crop (I did this by cloning them using a broadly feathered brush—appropriate for birds, I suppose—so their background would blend into that of their new location)
  3. used a healing brush to clean up the edges of Photoshop’s content aware fill additions
  4. did the final crop

• Like 5

A fun photo to work on—there’s a lot here to play with. My attention kept get drawn to the reflections of the birds, so I figured I’d run with that.

[ATTACH=full]1251136[/ATTACH]

Lightroom:

1. did a partial crop
  2. increased whites, lowered highlights, lowered shadows
  3. added a graduated filter to lighten bottom, increase contrast, increase whites
  4. added a second graduated filter to increase clarity, contrast, and saturation in the reflections of the buildings, but almost all of that got left out with the final crop

Photoshop:

1. straightened mast reflections with a skew transform
  2. added some space at the bottom by enlarging the canvas and using context aware fill

Lightroom:

1. added third and fourth graduated filters to further work on toning in the sky reflection
  2. moved the two outermost birds so they’d be included in the final crop (I did this by cloning them using a broadly feathered brush—appropriate for birds, I suppose—so their background would blend into that of their new location)
  3. used a healing brush to clean up the edges of Photoshop’s content aware fill additions
  4. did the final crop

Leslie your artistry is amazing. I to was drawn to the birds but I triad to make them moor visible in the sky with no luck and gave up. it did not occur to me to work on their reflection.

• Like 1

flotsam and jetsam actually was birds' reflections

I can completely relate to that, Michael--what attracted me to them was that I couldn't figure out what they were at first; I liked the ambiguity of the forms and the "aha" moment of figuring out the puzzle. One of the post-processing decisions I puzzled over the most was whether to move in the right-most bird, since that's the one that I think looks most bird-like--leaving it out would have maintained more ambiguity, but I think the compositional balance would have suffered without that light "anchor" at the bottom of the frame.

• Like 1

Great response so far this week and all to a high standard (until now).

In LR library created a virtual copy and turned it 180o. Opened in LR and cropped to as seen, used spot removal tool to remove corner railing. Maxed out vibrance and added clarity. With HSL sliders increased saturation to Red, Orange, Yellow and green. Decided to stop at this point.

PPC_23rdJune2018-FinalEdit.thumb.jpg.0aa6cb514c16c7a2c7e12156acf54701.jpg

• Like 3

1525665942_ppc5.thumb.jpg.6c18d8f7e02e8f57e0daa533f05e23a8.jpg

I wanted the background to be similar to the reflections, but not exactly similar, so as to give the result a surrealistic look. I started by making a new canvas that was larger than the original and pasted the original image on it. Then I selected the reflections of buildings and the sky in the water, vertically flipped the selection and pasted it on the new canvas, and positioned it to overlap the original background buildings and sky. I then did a bunch of cloning to smooth things out and repositioned a few birds so that they were not exactly symmetrical with their reflections.

Nice image to play with GC.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1251175[/ATTACH]

I wanted the background to be similar to the reflections, but not exactly similar, so as to give the result a surrealistic look. I started by making a new canvas that was larger than the original and pasted the original image on it. Then I selected the reflections of buildings and the sky in the water, vertically flipped the selection and pasted it on the new canvas, and positioned it to overlap the original background buildings and sky. I then did a bunch of cloning to smooth things out and repositioned a few birds so that they were not exactly symmetrical with their reflections.

Nice image to play with GC.

Glenn, this is amazing you definitely achieved a surrealistic look almost dram like. I relay like it.

• Like 1