Weegee's infra-red flash

ned1

The exact kind isn't made anymore, but you can still buy old stock #5R and #22R infrared flashbulbs from flashbulbs.com. I suspect Weegee used a #22R to get a larger amount of coverage. While I'm not aware of any electronic infrared flash, I've heard of people taping an infrared filter over their flash to get a flash that only appears on infrared film (or an IR modded camera).

• 2 weeks later...
If you are still looking for an infrared flash for night time, or stealth photography I have been converting Sunpak 622, Vivitar 285 and Nikon SB-14 flashes for IR and UV for a while now. With a stealth IR flash it is important to have the correct cut-on wavelength for the IR filter otherwise it is easily visible. This type of filter works best with Kodak IR film or IR modified digital cameras. I recently built a Vivitar 285HV IR for a N.Y. photographer for night time and stealth photography with HIE film. An example of his work and experiences can be found at his blog reached through www.DaveBeckerman.com and his comments on the flash at http://beckermanphoto.com/2007/09/10/infrared-flash-lost-post/ .