WedNEsDAy PiC #6

jose_angel

<p>Hi all... I had a nice time playing with two flash heads and a white fabric; I wish I had the strobes, light table and soft boxes I have at the office but... what the heck! I did it just for fun.</p>

<p>I usually shoot in complete f/stop steps or speeds; in fact, I have set my camera for showing only the whole steps (f2-f2.8-f4... or 1/125, 1/250, 1/500... ). This time I noticed that there was a huge difference in "only" one EV, from f32 to f22... from slightly underexposed to clearly overexposed.<br />Strong direct light at less than 3ft, flash heads at 90º, D700 @ 200ISO + 105VR, 1/125sec - f22, all camera tricks off, trial-and-error metering system, camera set on manual mode. Clearly overexposed, I did it to have a brighter background; add a bit of diffraction at f22. This is the result.</p>

<p>Please feel free to post your wEekLy PiC, taken with Nikon gear.</p><div>00SL0a-108211984.jpg.675e7c1aab64ecf686221798430623da.jpg</div>

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

<p > </p>

<p >It's too hard trying to decide what bird to post!</p>

<p >Anyway, I was cruising around on my private jet when I noticed on a cloud near by there were these two sparrows trying to warm up. Right away I yanked my ailerons, pulled up the elevator, made an split S and went back. Set the jet on autopilot and started shooting away. Here is the hard part. It took me like 10 minutes and 20 shots to get what I wanted. The goal was to get GOOD eye contact with both birds of curse. Finally I got lucky when another jet went by and both birds looked at 9 o'clock at the same time (Without going over the 9 o'clock mark).</p>

<p > </p>

<p >So I looked on my display, confirmed that I had the right exposure and flew home!</p>

<p > </p>

<p >It was shot with my 300 combo + TC17eII</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Sorry but I gotta go coz my nose is reaching new frontiers! </p>

</p><div>00SL0d-108212084.jpg.7c752ec49bee479a201eb4aed8b284ec.jpg</div>

<p>As some of you may know, I was out for a walk with my son on Sunday teaching him to take pictures. He carried my D80 with the kit lens and I took the D300. I spent most of my time photographing him cause he looked like a little pro. It was quite funny! But here is one that is not of him....<br /><br />The weather was quite cold and there was a thin layer of mist hanging over the water that made this shot interesting. The sun was halfway below the horizon and cast a nice glow over things. D300 with 70-300 VR @ 300mm and f/10. Exposure was 1/160s and ISO was set at 200.</p><div>00SL18-108215584.jpg.a76eaad5e64403e7147e3a3718f282c6.jpg</div>

<p>Hi,<br>

got a late call to the local am-dram last week for their final dress rehearsal of 'Puss In Boots' - only had chance to grab my D80, 50mm f/1.8, SB-800 and ensure that the batteries were up to a 30 min shoot. No time to look for/pack extra flashes/gobos/snoots. <br>

andyc</p><div>00SL2A-108219684.jpg.b5435b73c11baf8e9f58c06eaecdbb79.jpg</div>

<p>Snapshot of my dad from last Sunday.</p>

<p>When I was a little boy (and dinosaurs roamed the earth), he gave me an Ansco developing kit. That first foggy print came up in my first not-really-dark "darkroom," and I was hooked.</p>

<p>D300, 24-70 at 70mm, ISO 1600, 1/60, f/4.</p><div>00SL2G-108219884.jpg.369d4fa019e6c969528246363c07cc23.jpg</div>

<p>Good Morning! Beautiful shots again this week! Switching gears from the northern Michigan landscape, we had family visitors this past week and it gave me a chance to try some portrait shots. This is with my D300 and a Sigma 30 mm f1.4 prime at f2, 1/80 sec, iso 200 with the little guy facing a window to the north...</p><div>00SL3D-108223584.thumb.jpg.3be507eede9cf31ef1de27dab116985a.jpg</div>

<p>I figured that everybody might be getting a bit bored looking out thewindow and only seeing ice and snow...Heck Richard is even hibernating this week.I went on a cruise to Cozumel last week so I'll try to warm everybody up.Thanks to Richard I think that I might of figured out how to post my pics correctly now :^)<br>

Think warm thoughts only little over a month to spring 4 more months until summer.</p>

<p>I figured that everybody might be getting a bit bored looking out the window and only seeing ice and snow...Heck Richard is even hibernating this week. I went on a cruise to Cozumel last week so I'll try to warm everybody up.<br>

Think warm thoughts only little over a month to spring 4 more months until summer.<br />Don't forget your sunscreen or you might end up looking like this guy!</p><div>00SL52-108235584.jpg.3aef342a7d4df1184dd9b514bff1d5cb.jpg</div>

<p>For the Photographer . . . This is JPG version<br /> I can only begin to explain this photo. I took both RAW and JPG. The JPG had the moon defined and the RAW the moon was blown out. There is NO post processing except for sharpening. Time about 9:30 PM crescent moon with light stream on ice over a farmers field, Low clouds over the mountains near Camp David, Thurmont MD with the highlights of mercury vapor illumination over the mountain tops reflected by the clouds on a 6 second exposure on a Feisol tripod: F 2.8 D700 ISO 200 did I mention TRIPOD !!!!!</p><div>00SL5m-108240084.JPG.f711a0fc1c41c539369219ef1bdad308.JPG</div>

<p>Wow! Some really great stuff so far!<br>

LOL, Dennis! I feel the warmth!<br>

Beautiful colors from Thailand, Bernard!<br>

Excellent portrait shot of your dad, Kent!<br>

Lovely geese, Hamish! And it's very cool that you are out shooting with your son!<br>

Your little birds are beautiful, Rene'! I like the way that they are looking in the same direction and they are tack sharp!<br>

And, Jose, your dead plant shot turned out great!<br>

Have a good day, everyone!<br>

Dick</p>

<p>Thanks for your comment Richard! I love your portrait. It's so sharp! <br /><br />Your's too Kent. Fantastic portrait! <br /><br />Bernard, Thailand looks nice. Great color! I've only ever been in Bangkok, but now I think I'm going to have to go back and explore some more!<br /><br /></p>

Continuing with my new immersion into BB shots, I have pushed my D200 to ISO 1000. Lens 70-200 at 70mm. 2.8@1/125. Here one of the grandsons is airborne it what I consider to be an acceptable shot in a difficult lighting venue. I did use the SB800 for fill. I'm looking for the balance between too much graniness from too much ISO and motion blur of the subject.